Newbies, please read: Ducati Sport Touring Models - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2006, 1:25 am Thread Starter
Still needs a life.

Newbies, please read: Ducati Sport Touring Models

I have noticed mistakes are sometimes made in discussions of the various sport touring models, most notably interchanging the ST4 and ST4s. This has led to confusion as to the specific model being discussed. The following is a list I made (with the help of the membership) of the various Ducati sport touring models. I ask that:

1) the Sport Touring forum moderator post this as a sticky or whatever you call a thread which remains at the top of the forum and

2) those new to the Ducati Sport Touring line review the list before asking a question about a certain model in order to avoid confusion in the subsequent discussion.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
ST2 = 944 cc, 2 valves/cylinder.
ST4 = 916 cc, 4 valves/cylinder (916 Superbike engine redone for sport touring)
ST4s = 996 cc, 4 valves/cylinder (996 Superbike engine redone for sport touring), upgraded suspension from the ST2 and ST4. Also available with ABS beginning with MY 03.
ST3 = 992 cc, 3 valves/cylinder. New engine developed specifically for the ST3.
ST3sABS = same as ST3 w/the suspension of the ST4s and ABS.

All the ST models are liquid cooled.

The upper fairing, dash, handle bars, and seat of the ST2 were carried over to the ST4 and ST4s through MY 03.

The ST3 was introduced in MY 04. It came with a new style upper fairing, electronic dash, adjustible handlebars, and (in the opinion of many) an upgraded seat. This was carried over to the ST4s in MY 04.

The ST2, ST4, and ST4s are no longer in production, leaving the ST3 and ST3sABS as Ducati's sole sport tourers for MY 07. Rumors abound as the future of a sport tourer in Ducati's lineup.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
sjf3 likes this.

Bill Anderson & Darkwing Duc (06-ST3s, black) Edmonds, WA. USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:50 am

Talking

As a side note, could you maybe add the years of production for the ST2, 4, 4s, 3 and 3s. Thanks.

'05 ST3
'90 906 Paso
It's not just a Ducati, it's a disease!

Last edited by Chuckracer; Nov 17th, 2011 at 4:53 pm.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:35 am
Señor Member

One addition I'd like to suggest:

MY 05+ all ST models went to wet clutches as opposed to the dry clutches found on other Ducatis

Doug
11 MS1200S Touring+
05 ST3
98 900SS FE
95 900SS CR

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2007, 2:25 am Thread Starter
Still needs a life.

please contribute to this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack
As a side note, could you maybe add the years of production for the ST2, 4, 4s, 3 and 3s. Thanks.
This info would be helpful, especially since some models were discontinued in North America before they were discontinued in Europe.

A list of the various suspension changes (downgrades?) to the ST2 throughout its lifespan would also be useful, as would the year of the change to the wet clutch on the ST4s and ST3. Someone posted rear sprocket info on another thread, which would also be worthy to be listed here.

Members should feel free to contribute to this thread with additional helpful info.

Bill Anderson & Darkwing Duc (06-ST3s, black) Edmonds, WA. USA
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2007, 5:11 am

Levine-- yes an ST4s Ohlins will work on an ST3. The 4s has a lighter nicer swing arm but all dimensions are the same so the ST4s Ohlins will bolt right on to a 3 and look/ feel OEM. I fitted one to my ST2 and it works/ fits perfectly. If however you do not have an adjustable ride height rod I would add one at when you add the Ohlins.

2001 ST2- sold
1998 SuperSport- sold
1989 Honda Hawk gt- yes a Honda
2007 S2R1000
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2007, 7:26 am
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Anderson
... as would the year of the change to the wet clutch on the ST4s and ST3. ...
'twas done

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showpost...45&postcount=8

Doug
11 MS1200S Touring+
05 ST3
98 900SS FE
95 900SS CR
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincep
Yes. I purchased the shock and adjustable strut off a wrecked 04 ST4S and bolted it on an 04 ST3. Best upgrade I have made!
I believe that you can do this from all ST4 models to the ST3.
Also picked up the fully adjustable forks from an S4R that are a direct swap too.
I thought the ST3 front end suspension tubes size are different than all other Ducati models?
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2007, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder
Also, no ride height adjusters on any ST3 models, s included.
My ST3s 2006 model has a ride height adjuster on the rear shock.

ST3s 2006

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Hey Levine, check with NCRick on this board. He can make your front end feel like a million bucks for about 1/2 of that $750. Also he is an Ohlins and Penske dealer- the Penske is supposed to be as nice as the Ohlins and more adjustable AND it comes has adjustable ride height so you don't need the adjustable rod from Ducati. I think that the Penske is a few bucks cheaper than the Ohlins.
I put an Ohlins on cause Rick had a used one that I bought, if I were buying new I would look at the Penske. My .02.

2001 ST2- sold
1998 SuperSport- sold
1989 Honda Hawk gt- yes a Honda
2007 S2R1000
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2007, 7:36 am
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch
Hey Levine, check with NCRick on this board. He can make your front end feel like a million bucks for about 1/2 of that $750. Also he is an Ohlins and Penske dealer- the Penske is supposed to be as nice as the Ohlins and more adjustable AND it comes has adjustable ride height so you don't need the adjustable rod from Ducati. I think that the Penske is a few bucks cheaper than the Ohlins.
I put an Ohlins on cause Rick had a used one that I bought, if I were buying new I would look at the Penske. My .02.
+1
Penske is what I'm getting after lots of looking around. The built in ride height adjuster along with all the dampening adjustements is what sealed the deal for me. Ferracci also sells a ride height adjuster if you get a shock that doesnt have an adjuster built in.

Either choice is good. The best solution is to get a shock with a spring for your weight(s) and riding style (if you ride a lot two up, lots of luggage, etc.).

The front fork of the base ST3 is adjustable for preload. I have done some adjusting of mine and made it work for me. I don't push it that hard and a little more preload was all I needed. If I start doing track days, I might need something else, but for now, the OEM fork is good enough.

Doug
11 MS1200S Touring+
05 ST3
98 900SS FE
95 900SS CR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode