Problems Getting Carbon Fiber Exhausts - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Problems Getting Carbon Fiber Exhausts

I ordered a set of Sil Motor Oval carbon fiber exhausts for my 1999 ST2 from CarpiMoto back in July. Carlo Carpi advised me that the Sil Motor production facility closes for the month of August, so I wired 593 Euros to CarpiMoto in early September. I have not received the exhausts yet.

I've corresponded weekly with Carlo via email. He is always very prompt in replying to my inquiries about the mufflers, but the long and short of it is that Sil Motor has not produced the mufflers yet, and Carlo cannot tell me when they will be shipped.

"Moto" has passed along the word that Sil Motor company is in receivership. I asked Carlo about this, but he did not respond, nor did he comment on my request for a refund if the mufflers aren't shipped in two weeks.

Has anyone out there ordered and received Sil Motor CF mufflers in the past two months? Is anyone aware of financial problems for Sil? I'm worried that I am going to lose $800 US and wind up with no exhausts. Any other information you may have is appreciated.

1999 Ducati ST2 and 2003 H-D Ultra Classic FLHTCUI

Last edited by joeychitwood; Oct 13th, 2006 at 12:55 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Sorry, I don't have any info to help you Joey, but If it makes you feel any better, I'm still waiting on a set of Marchesini wheels from Italy that I placed an order for back in late March! I ordered them from a company here in the US and wanted the stock 5.5" rear wheel width and still I wait for Marchesini to do a production run. My riding season here in New England is quickly coming to a close.

Mr. Tommy 2 Valves and his '01 ST2s...Bella...the "Duc a la bleu"
Lusting for the "green mallard"...'04 Matrix 998
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Shipped

Mufflers have been shipped at the end of October, everything should be ok now... Carpi Moto (my company) shipped the order even if the wire transfer was less than the amount required and asked to (a bank mistake, not due to customer will). Which company ships overseas even if not fully paid ?
Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood
I ordered a set of Sil Motor Oval carbon fiber exhausts for my 1999 ST2 from CarpiMoto back in July. Carlo Carpi advised me that the Sil Motor production facility closes for the month of August, so I wired 593 Euros to CarpiMoto in early September. I have not received the exhausts yet.

I've corresponded weekly with Carlo via email. He is always very prompt in replying to my inquiries about the mufflers, but the long and short of it is that Sil Motor has not produced the mufflers yet, and Carlo cannot tell me when they will be shipped.

"Moto" has passed along the word that Sil Motor company is in receivership. I asked Carlo about this, but he did not respond, nor did he comment on my request for a refund if the mufflers aren't shipped in two weeks.

Has anyone out there ordered and received Sil Motor CF mufflers in the past two months? Is anyone aware of financial problems for Sil? I'm worried that I am going to lose $800 US and wind up with no exhausts. Any other information you may have is appreciated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2006, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carpi
Mufflers have been shipped at the end of October, everything should be ok now... Carpi Moto (my company) shipped the order even if the wire transfer was less than the amount required and asked to (a bank mistake, not due to customer will). Which company ships overseas even if not fully paid ? Bye
The Sil Motor mufflers arrived and are very satisfactory. I appreciated your quick answers to my emails. I did email the Sil Motor company asking why the order was taking so long to fill, and they never responded. I've given your company's name to several other people as a safe and reliable vendor from which to order Ducati parts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2006, 5:30 pm

I read your first post and I need to reply, even if I knew you understood that dealing with Sil Motor is really difficult and it is hard to explain to my clients who they are and who we are. Being realiabe is the only way to stand up in the e-commerce market. You will never loose your money with us. If there is any other thread to discuss I will be pleased to post in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood
The Sil Motor mufflers arrived and are very satisfactory. I appreciated your quick answers to my emails. I did email the Sil Motor company asking why the order was taking so long to fill, and they never responded. I've given your company's name to several other people as a safe and reliable vendor from which to order Ducati parts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Joey,

It's been warm in MN you must have been out riding today, how do you like the sound of the Sils?

Thanks

2008 Hypermotard 1100s
2008 1098

Sola Gratis
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchflyer
Joey, It's been warm in MN you must have been out riding today, how do you like the sound of the Sils? Thanks
Hi couchflyer. It's a nice day up here in Detroit Lakes, but I have two reasons for not riding. First, we had six inches of snow last week, and although much of it has melted, there is still a lot of ice on the roads. Second, I ruptured my appendix (which also caused an incarcerated hernia that was repaired in the same surgery) a few weeks ago, and I cannot lift or push anything weighing more than ten pounds for another two weeks. It's killing me to not be able to work on the bikes in the garage.

The Sils sound beautiful. The workmanship is of a very high quality, and the carbon fiber construction absorbs much of the high frequency noise, leaving a deep, low frequency pulsing rumble. They are not obnoxiously loud, but the bike gets admiring thumbs up from my friends while riding. I highly recommend them, and I also recommend Carlo Carpi at CarpiMoto as a dealer.

How about you? Have you gotten out today?

PS: Go Gopher Hockey! My daughter's boyfriend is a freshman defender at St. Cloud State, and they're currently ranked #8 in the country.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Hi Guys,

Nice down here in the Cities, but no riding for me. Glad to hear the SILS are working out. Did you have to do any re-programming of the ECU for this, or was it just an install and go job?

Joe

2013 Multistrada 1200S - Red
2006 ST3s - Red -
gone
2006 999s - Red
1999 900SS - Yellow
- gone
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2006, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneglia
Hi Guys, Nice down here in the Cities, but no riding for me. Glad to hear the SILS are working out. Did you have to do any re-programming of the ECU for this, or was it just an install and go job? Joe
So far, I haven't made any ECU changes. I plan on drilling a few 1" holes in the airbox lid to increase the inflow. My bike runs a little rich right now, so the increased air in and air out may lean it out nicely. I'll probably run it on a dyno next spring. Joey

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2006, 9:53 pm

No, I've been working too much this fall. I put mine in the basement in October. This is the longest I've been without riding her, I do miss that. I am going to perform the 12,000 mile service my self (hopefully) this winter. I have been collecting tools and parts. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Mike

2008 Hypermotard 1100s
2008 1098

Sola Gratis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode