Dumb Noob Question - ST3 oil leaking from the filter after oil change - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2011, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Dumb Noob Question - ST3 oil leaking from the filter after oil change

I did an oil change on my recently purchased ST3 and when I started the bike and let in run for about 5 min. afterwards, I got an oil leak coming from near the filter. When I bought the OEM filter from the dealer, they also sold me a small, aluminum O-ring but didn't mention what it was for. As I was installing the new filter, I didn't see where this ring would go and figured it might be for the oil screen that I did not clean out on this oil change. Was this O-ring to fit around the port on the filter? The filter already has the rubber O-ring installed at the top. Also, I hand tightened the oil filter rather than using an oil filter tool. I always change the oil in my cars and bikes, hand-tightening the filters in place, and have never had this problem before.

If that ring was to be installed around the filter port, now my question is how can I take the filter off w/o wasting $80 in synthetic oil? I guess I could catch it and pour it back in but was hoping there might be an easier way.

Thanks!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Aluminum crush washers are for your drain plug and oil pre filter screen. Most likely the filter is not on tight enough or cross threaded. No crush washer for the filter itself. Good luck. BTW I always recheck my filters for tightness after running engine.

2006 749S (resurrected)
1995 900SSSP/track bike
2001 750SS/"rain bike"
1975 CB400F/Yoshima
1996 CR250R
2005 CR85R (for sale, still)
1971 Bultaco-project
2000 Z50R
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2011, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

VTGP,
Thanks for the quick response. I hope it is as easy as just tightening it a bit more. I'll try this to see if it works. Is it recommended that I use the filter tool or do you guys just hand tighten your filters? You don't get a real great grasp on this filter b/c it sort of fits up into a cove in the engine ...maybe when I thought it was tight, it really wasn't as tight as it could be b/c of the hinderance of that cove.
Thanks again,
Steve

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2011, 1:31 pm

I hand tighten mine, and then nip them up with the same tool I use for undoing them.
I used to just hand tighten them, but I had one come loose - luckily I spotted it before things got bad....

2004 ST4s
2001 ST4 'on hold' non running potential project bike
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2011, 6:18 pm

one thing to make sure before you put the new filter on...

especially if the previous guy didn't run a film of oil on the filter when he installed it - sometimes the o ring from the previous filter doesn't come off with the filter instead it stays stuck to the block. So when you put the new filter on um well you can guess what happens next.

Just a thought

p.s. - this is from experience so don't think you're the first guy to miss it...

Keith Lindsey
'01 ST4 w/ST4S Engine

My times on two wheels have been some of the happiest of my life.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2011, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, I hear you. When it comes to an oil change, I'm a fanatic about ensuring everything is clean and looks as it should. I spend quite a bit of extra time carefully wiping down the area around the filter and drain plug. When I did this oil change, I even pulled out my steam cleaner and steam cleaned the entire engine. There was definitely no rubber O-ring left attached to the block when I pulled the old filter ...I am positive on that. Also, I still have the old filter and no rubber is missing from that. After I perform an oil change, I always let the car or bike run and look for leaks around the drain plug and filter. This is how I noticed it was leaking the other day (along with the smell of burning oil and billowing smoke as it was hitting the exhaust header pipe). I ordered a Ducati filter tool yesterday ($32 ...ouch) and once I get that, I'll tighten the filter up and see if that does the trick. If not, I'll have to pull the filter off and investigate what's going on.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2011, 12:29 pm

I switched to k&n because its easy, they have the nut on top, i make sure i wipe every thing clean in the filter hole and apply a film of the used oil on the ruber seal. the ducati filters leaked because they were never tight enought, k&n fixed that, a filter wrench for the ducati one may help as well.

I have a sport classic, but it is the same idea.

2006 Ducati Paul Smart - Duc Shop Hyper Stacks, 999 wheels and brakes, ebc xc front rotors, ebc prolite contour rear rotor, Rectifier relocated, Various billet bits, speedy moto clutch pressure plate and cover.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Mine leaks ever so slightly. I have to keep an eye on it and tighten it sometimes. Mabey I out to get a wrench for it, but yea I think it's just a matter of not being tight enough, and a lot of vibration to loosen it up.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2011, 5:00 am
Life is too short to worry !

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lray View Post
Mine leaks ever so slightly. I have to keep an eye on it and tighten it sometimes. Mabey I out to get a wrench for it, but yea I think it's just a matter of not being tight enough, and a lot of vibration to loosen it up.
Vibration should not cause it to loosen , so more torque please to avoid a very unpleasant incident if a lot of oil gets onto the rear wheel !

"The Grey Assassin" - 2005 ST4s
Goldvalves , Re-sprung rear Ohlins , Tapered headrace bearings , Galfer Front Discs , Open airbox with K&N filter , Iridium NGK's with Magnecor Leads , 15/42T Cogs , Helibars with Oxford heated grips , HID Lights , CRG 'Stubby' Levers , Zero Gravity DB Dark Screen , Twin-Tone Fiamm Horns plus a bunch of 'detailing' modifications.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Update on this .....

Took the advice and purchased the Ducati specific oil filter tool from an online retailer ($32 w/shipping) and what do you know, I managed to get nearly another full turn on the filter before I had it nice and tight. Problem solved ...ran the bike for about 5 minutes and got it up to temp. Not a drop of oil leaking from it now. Even though I was able to hand tighten it when I did the oil change, you simply cannot get that great of a grasp around the filter to fully tighten it due to the cove it fits up into. That tool was real helpful ...expensive, but worth it

The bike is ready to go now! It just needs to warm up enough to motivate me to ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode