posting pictures in your message - Page 7 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 9:56 am
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1 View Post
OK, so I'm now trying to follow this following bit of advice -

You don't have to use the links way of getting your posts on the site. You also don't have to use the drag and drop feature. Hit "Go Advanced" instead of "Post Quck Reply" at the bottom of the page. Next page will have a paperclip icon in the menu. Hit that, and you can choose what image you want to upload the old fashioned way. That is, as old fashioned as anything gets on the internet.

You don't have to worry about resizing either. It'll attach as a thumbnail, and people can click it if they want it to be bigger.

Now I don't know whether this process is called hot-linking or hosting-and-posting or some other jargon label, I just want to be able to make it work

1. So I click on "Go Advanced". It doesn't work and says I have to use quick reply.
2. So I hit quick reply. There is no paperclip icon.
3. So I hit reply. Hooray, there is a paperclip icon.
4. I hit the paperclip icon. It opens a box allowing me to select a file/picture, but limiting the size of the file/picture to 976.6kb.

You will notice that I have underlined certain parts of the quote from Admin and highlighted them in bold. This is so that someone can actually answer whether this advice is in fact correct and if not, how I can find the option to:-
a) Use a paperclip icon to attach a picture which quote - You don't have to worry about resizing
which will then
b) quote - attach as a thumbnail, and people can click it if they want it to be bigger
The first underlined section is out of order. You hit Quick Reply then Go Advanced. If you just click on the Reply button you will save yourself one step in the process.

The attachment to this post is originally sized at 3.83 MB and uploaded via the paperclip. It was automatically resized to 1.01 MB during the upload. This will only work for pictures. If I tried this with a pdf or other non-picture file, it would fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160609_184451423[1].jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	768802  

2005 ST3
2003 749s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 10:57 am

OK Yorik, thank you. Let's see if that works.

I just hit "reply" as you advise.

I just hit the paperclip.

I just selected the file - a 5meg JPEG.

I just got this message - "Your file of 5.18 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 976.6 KB for this filetype."

Did I miss something? Just when exactly does it get " automatically resized to 1.01 MB during the upload."??

HM1100S, 998Bip
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 11:22 am

Garage
Hmmm. Not sure why it didn't work. Will have to think about it. Maybe an admin knows.

2005 ST3
2003 749s

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 11:26 am

Thanks for having a try Yorik. I have been trying to fix this for days, trying not to get frustrated or irritated. I am determined to sort this eventually.

HM1100S, 998Bip
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 11:33 am

Garage
What happens if you use a different browser?

2005 ST3
2003 749s
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2016, 12:03 pm
Administrator

Garage
How about giving this a try until our Admin can give you some solution, it is a really simple way to downsize a photo:
Image Resizer for Windows - Lets you resize images by right-clicking.

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2016, 7:45 am

Cheers Scott. I will use the re-sizer you recommend. It is a shame though, as I would much prefer to "attach as a thumbnail, and people can click it if they want it to be bigger", so that the quality of the picture is preserved.

It is also frustrating that it has taken 6 days and 4 pages before anyone accepts that I am describing an issue/failing with the forum system, rather than me just being a luddite dimbo (still a possibility, I grant).

I hope that the admin will continue to address this and work out what the problem is.

Some additional FYI - I am using the "Full" site and I have also tried using the Firefox browser with no better results.

HM1100S, 998Bip
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2016, 10:34 am
Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1 View Post
Cheers Scott. I will use the re-sizer you recommend. It is a shame though, as I would much prefer to "attach as a thumbnail, and people can click it if they want it to be bigger", so that the quality of the picture is preserved.

It is also frustrating that it has taken 6 days and 4 pages before anyone accepts that I am describing an issue/failing with the forum system, rather than me just being a luddite dimbo (still a possibility, I grant).

I hope that the admin will continue to address this and work out what the problem is.

Some additional FYI - I am using the "Full" site and I have also tried using the Firefox browser with no better results.
Compressing an image from 5mb to 1 mb will not reduce the quality of the image unless you're viewing it on a screen of 30 inches or bigger. The auto reduction to 1 mb that was described above is not a function of the site but rather something that some versions of safari seems to do. That said what was stated by my colleagues was in fact accurate, the image you attach will be dropped to thumbnail size if it's within the existing parameters of the site, IE 1 mb or less. Changing this to incorporate higher image sizes is no longer a matter of storage space, it's a matter of page load time. If for instance you're running a build thread and have 50+ images at over 5 mb a piece it will drag down the load time, particularly for people on phones or tablets. The failing here was miscommunication and misunderstanding, this isn't a site issue, it's an intended design. If you guys would like the picture maxes to be increased I can do that but it can result in the above.

Kyle

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:
Vulcan Forum | Goldwing Forum | RC51 Forum | FZ6 Forum | Victory Forum
| Buell Forum | KTM Forum | Aprilia Forum | Star Motorcycle Forum |
Kawasaki Forum |Ducati Scrambler Forum |
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2016, 11:10 am
Administrator

Garage
I don't see any reason to have images larger than 1mb. To give an example, an image that is approximately 1024x1280 is the equivalent of looking at a photo that is 13" x 17". That is plenty of resolution to see a nice photo on the web. Here is an example of an image that is 479KB that was linked from here Uploaded Photo. Yes the forum resized it but it is still nicely viewable and providing the link is a click away for someone to view it full sized. If you have the passion for photography, uploading your photos to a website of your own or something like Smugmug or Flicker is really a great way to share, view and archive your photos :

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Last edited by scott; Nov 28th, 2016 at 11:21 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode