Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Admin
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 924
Garage
Images: 15
Updated Smartphone Feedback Thread

We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​


If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

UPDATE BELOW*

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:
Vulcan Forum | Goldwing Forum | RC51 Forum | FZ6 Forum | Victory Forum
| Buell Forum | KTM Forum | Aprilia Forum | Star Motorcycle Forum |
Kawasaki Forum |Ducati Scrambler Forum |
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.

Last edited by admin; Nov 13th, 2014 at 3:18 pm.
admin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clearwater, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,089
Hi Guys.

I've got an S5, and unfortunately you have made the Ducati.ms website unusable from my phone. In fact I could not even post a message from my phone to tell you this so I had to come online to do it.

Problems.

1) You can't turn it off and choose the full website version.

2) You have cut the usable screen down by 1/4-1/3, depending on which screen you are on. At the top, in FIXED location are the website tabs, then you have the web address bar. Then there is a full 3/8-1/2 red Ducati.ms banner. None of these dissappear or move off the screen after a few seconds. Then at the bottom of the screen there is a bar that is website navigation, and another bar that is Ducati.ms navigation, combined that is another 5/8 inch lost, and as you know these do not move either.

3) I am a premium member, just paid my sub a few days ago, yes i am signed in, but adds run at the bottom of the screen, and when they run an entire 1/2 of my screen is being used up by your skin. Its like Windows 95 all over again, when you have 200 inches of computer screen and a tiny little sliver of window to type in.

4)So the posting: I tried to post a message to you from the phone, but when the keyboard pops up it blocks off even more of the usable screen. So now you have a 1/2 inch window to type. Now, even though I have the font size set on "smallest", there is still only room for about four words per line, AND there is only room for two lines, lol, but the BIG thing is that the window you are typing in does not scroll up as you hit the return button, so by the time you have hit "return" twice, the cursor is off the bottom of the viewable area and you cannot see what you are typing.

That is as far as I got so I can't give you anymore feedback, but by making the usable screen so small and the font so big - both mistakes in App world, the mobile site is unusable from my phone.

I don't really know about web based mobile programming, but I do know you don't force people to use beta testing versions, for just this reason. I can't read and share ideas. I can't purchase anything. You have effectively stopped my mobile access to the site.

So there has to be a "Full Website" access button.

Gregg

Dolphin Browser

P.S. I am sure you have good ideas and functions for the Mobile version, I just couldn't get to any of them.

Last edited by proheli; Aug 27th, 2014 at 1:23 pm.
proheli is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 1:58 pm
Senior Member
 
PumpIron01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Posts: 911
Garage
The update is okay for causal reading type of stuff but I'm not casually reading on Ducati.ms usually. I'm looking for details and studying with a lot of intent to learn. It's nice to have many full paragraphs I can zoom in & out of to look back or forward to things I've read or missed.

I'm usually okay with updates and changes to online layouts but I honestly don't feel this update helps in this case as it's a very technical resource. There needs to be a lot of control not less.

iPhone 5, Safari browser

1993 900 Supersport SP
1999 900 Supersport
PumpIron01 is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 4:19 pm Thread Starter
Admin
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 924
Garage
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by proheli View Post
Hi Guys.

I've got an S5, and unfortunately you have made the Ducati.ms website unusable from my phone. In fact I could not even post a message from my phone to tell you this so I had to come online to do it.

Problems.

1) You can't turn it off and choose the full website version.

2) You have cut the usable screen down by 1/4-1/3, depending on which screen you are on. At the top, in FIXED location are the website tabs, then you have the web address bar. Then there is a full 3/8-1/2 red Ducati.ms banner. None of these dissappear or move off the screen after a few seconds. Then at the bottom of the screen there is a bar that is website navigation, and another bar that is Ducati.ms navigation, combined that is another 5/8 inch lost, and as you know these do not move either.

3) I am a premium member, just paid my sub a few days ago, yes i am signed in, but adds run at the bottom of the screen, and when they run an entire 1/2 of my screen is being used up by your skin. Its like Windows 95 all over again, when you have 200 inches of computer screen and a tiny little sliver of window to type in.

4)So the posting: I tried to post a message to you from the phone, but when the keyboard pops up it blocks off even more of the usable screen. So now you have a 1/2 inch window to type. Now, even though I have the font size set on "smallest", there is still only room for about four words per line, AND there is only room for two lines, lol, but the BIG thing is that the window you are typing in does not scroll up as you hit the return button, so by the time you have hit "return" twice, the cursor is off the bottom of the viewable area and you cannot see what you are typing.

That is as far as I got so I can't give you anymore feedback, but by making the usable screen so small and the font so big - both mistakes in App world, the mobile site is unusable from my phone.

I don't really know about web based mobile programming, but I do know you don't force people to use beta testing versions, for just this reason. I can't read and share ideas. I can't purchase anything. You have effectively stopped my mobile access to the site.

So there has to be a "Full Website" access button.

Gregg

Dolphin Browser

P.S. I am sure you have good ideas and functions for the Mobile version, I just couldn't get to any of them.

Hello Proheli,

1. You should be able to open the side menu and "exit enhanced mobile view" to revert back.

2. I will share your feedback with the design team.

3. We are close to having a resolution for this and should be able to launch it soon.

4. Same as #2

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:
Vulcan Forum | Goldwing Forum | RC51 Forum | FZ6 Forum | Victory Forum
| Buell Forum | KTM Forum | Aprilia Forum | Star Motorcycle Forum |
Kawasaki Forum |Ducati Scrambler Forum |
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
admin is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 4:21 pm Thread Starter
Admin
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 924
Garage
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpIron01 View Post
The update is okay for causal reading type of stuff but I'm not casually reading on Ducati.ms usually. I'm looking for details and studying with a lot of intent to learn. It's nice to have many full paragraphs I can zoom in & out of to look back or forward to things I've read or missed.

I'm usually okay with updates and changes to online layouts but I honestly don't feel this update helps in this case as it's a very technical resource. There needs to be a lot of control not less.

iPhone 5, Safari browser
Heya PumpIron,

You can always exit the enhanced mobile view depending on preferences.

Jeff

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:
Vulcan Forum | Goldwing Forum | RC51 Forum | FZ6 Forum | Victory Forum
| Buell Forum | KTM Forum | Aprilia Forum | Star Motorcycle Forum |
Kawasaki Forum |Ducati Scrambler Forum |
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
admin is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2014, 9:28 am
Senior Member
 
Blitzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 836
Website no longer loads in Safari on my iphone 5s, all I get is a white screen with "Loading...".
Blitzen is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2014, 3:41 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clearwater, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Hello Proheli,

1. You should be able to open the side menu and "exit enhanced mobile view" to revert back.

2. I will share your feedback with the design team.

3. We are close to having a resolution for this and should be able to launch it soon.

4. Same as #2

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff. I found it. Also, so you know, I tried using Internet Explorer and the enhanced version didn't load. I've played around with the enhanced version some more, and once the screen dominating is over and font size can be reduced I will really like it. It does have a smooth and full feeling that is very good. And I like that I would be able to load pics from my phone. Couldn't do that before.
Gregg
proheli is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2014, 11:05 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Website no longer loads in Safari on my iphone 5s, all I get is a white screen with "Loading...".
Same for me on my iPhone 5 using Safari.

Seriously folks, first we have to deal with a sudden burst of intellitext add interruptions and just when we get that under control you throw a glitchy software change at us?

2011 1198SP (black/red) - gone but not forgotten
2014 Triumph Tiger 800 (black); 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R (green)
EagleRider is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2014, 11:23 am
Temporary greeter
 
Wonway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL., USA
Posts: 23,052
Garage
Images: 1
I went back to the regular version within 30 seconds. The ad banner at the bottom that I could not get rid of was one of the big reasons.

1994 888 LTD #61 DVT
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
Wonway is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2014, 12:16 pm Thread Starter
Admin
 
admin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 924
Garage
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Website no longer loads in Safari on my iphone 5s, all I get is a white screen with "Loading...".
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRider View Post
Same for me on my iPhone 5 using Safari.

Seriously folks, first we have to deal with a sudden burst of intellitext add interruptions and just when we get that under control you throw a glitchy software change at us?

Go into your IPhone settings, then select Safari and enable it to accept cookies. This will fix the white screen you're having. We're working out the kinks of this new system. It is still in beta testing but it is getting better everyday thanks to reports from users

~ dm, community support

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:
Vulcan Forum | Goldwing Forum | RC51 Forum | FZ6 Forum | Victory Forum
| Buell Forum | KTM Forum | Aprilia Forum | Star Motorcycle Forum |
Kawasaki Forum |Ducati Scrambler Forum |
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
admin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updated pulley bearing PNs 999 in pulley thread Turboflyer Superbikes 0 Nov 7th, 2010 9:49 am
Blackberry or SmartPhone? majbuzz Chit Chat 7 Sep 10th, 2007 3:46 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome