Recall Compliance Letter: Need an update - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Recall Compliance Letter: Need an update

I was browsing around ebay motors today and got to thinking about buying another bike. Just wondering what the latest year DNA is willing to issue Recall letters for? I seem to remember that DNA refused to issue letters for 2008 models and newer. That still the case?

2000 996 SPS
2002 748E to S Back in the Saddle!
2003 Honda hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star 650 (Being re-resurrected!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone View Post
I was browsing around ebay motors today and got to thinking about buying another bike. Just wondering what the latest year DNA is willing to issue Recall letters for? I seem to remember that DNA refused to issue letters for 2008 models and newer. That still the case?
Maybe they don't have to in Italy, but the law requires letters here in the USA.

'15 BMW R nine T
'10 Streetfighter S "Sleipnir"
'09 Kaw Versys
'67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2011, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Guess I didn't make myself clear. I know I need the letter.... what Im asking is what year(s) DNA is willing to release said letter for. I've heard people have been denied the letter from DNA when trying to import 2008 and newer models from the US to CANADA, and wondering if thats still the case or if DNA has relented some.

2000 996 SPS
2002 748E to S Back in the Saddle!
2003 Honda hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star 650 (Being re-resurrected!)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 8:08 pm

recall letters

I just imported a Hyper to Canada that I bought from a member on this forum...and LOVING IT!

My not-so local (125miles away) Ducati dealership wouldn't issue a recall letter without seeing the bike (which I couldn't legally drive there because it wasn't yet plated or titled). Once they confirmed VIN# etc, they would fax a confirmation to Ducati NA, who would then issue the recall clearance letter so I could import it into Canada. The charge? A cool $500. Nice ca$h grab Mr Ducati.

I was able to contact a dealer in the USA, faxed a copy of the title and they ran the VIN# in the service/warranty system to confirm there were no outstanding service campaigns against the bike. A printout was then faxed to me, and I sent it of to the 'Registrar of Imported Vehicles'. Presto. Regi complete, $500 in my jeans and not the Federales...

Try that angle...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by medstretta View Post
I just imported a Hyper to Canada that I bought from a member on this forum...and LOVING IT!

My not-so local (125miles away) Ducati dealership wouldn't issue a recall letter without seeing the bike (which I couldn't legally drive there because it wasn't yet plated or titled). Once they confirmed VIN# etc, they would fax a confirmation to Ducati NA, who would then issue the recall clearance letter so I could import it into Canada. The charge? A cool $500. Nice ca$h grab Mr Ducati.

I was able to contact a dealer in the USA, faxed a copy of the title and they ran the VIN# in the service/warranty system to confirm there were no outstanding service campaigns against the bike. A printout was then faxed to me, and I sent it of to the 'Registrar of Imported Vehicles'. Presto. Regi complete, $500 in my jeans and not the Federales...

Try that angle...
+1 on the service print out.

FYI the $500 for the letter DNA does not collect this , the dealership keeps it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 9:44 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
+1 on the service print out.

FYI the $500 for the letter DNA does not collect this , the dealership keeps it.
To paraphrase DNA they want you to take the bike to your local dealer to introduce you to the "Ducati experience". Bend over touch your toes, that will be $500 please.......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 2:17 pm

service history printout worked for me this month.
Many US dealers don't know about the ransom.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2011, 9:43 am

Does anyone know if this pertains to a "used" 2011 Ducati?

Thanx in advance.

I think I found my answer on another thread. 2008 & up, used or new. Them "F" ers at DNA can kiss my ass.

If someone doesnt outbid me in the next couple of Hrs I may own another Duc. One that I wont be able ride unless i pay one of the local dealerships a additional $500 for a piece of paper.

Last edited by JDS S4RS; Dec 14th, 2011 at 10:31 am.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2012, 8:06 pm

I think the year number is 5 years to do it legit. I would just grab the service printout. It's 3-4 pages long with nothing on it. They just look at the line that says "No service campaigns". I don't think it matters on the year if you do it this way. It's a gamble if it doesn't work but RIV seems to take it no problem.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2012, 9:35 pm
Aspiring back to a dirt donk

I was to understand it was a minimum of 3 years, which is the same as KTM. DNA said its to protect the Canadian dealer base (Bullshit). I was in Italy last fall at Ducati headquarters & talked to VP of Italian operations about it. He said that as long as DNA keeps producing the numbers (in sales) things wouldn't change....sad but true

VFR800, 900SS FE, FJR1300, 530EXCR, CB1100F, XT250, TL250 monoshock, Ascot basket case (& counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode