Question for the brits - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Question Question for the brits

Hi there,

I am planning on moving to england from australia in sept. My plan is to purchase a ST2 on arrival, however I've been warned about the severity of your winter. Here at home I ride all year round, the coldest we've had all winter was 4 degrees C. I was thinking that if most riders stop for winter over there, then bike sales coming into winter must slow down too...
So what I'm hoping is, to find the right bike and haggle the seller down because of the lack of other buyers. Could you tell me, am i dreaming or is this a possibility? and if possible, how much are people over there likely to drop the price to sell in off season. obviously I dont expect you guys to predict the future (if you can some lotto numbers would help) I'm just trying to get some idea of how things are done over there.
Cheers guys and look I foward to going for a ride with you all when I get there.
Kalon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 3:18 pm

yes mate when winter comes its the best time to buy a road bike over here as they drop in price, but off road bikes go up in price thats how it goes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Prices are very seasonal here, plus the fact that st's are not very desirable in the UK.
Where in the UK are you gonna be?, I'd be happy to help out if you end up nearby.
Good luck

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 4:27 pm

I'm not in the UK, but bought my 749R there last winter.

And yes winter is a very good time to buy a Duc in the UK
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
As for where i'll be, well i think i'll start with london as i'll be meeting up with some friends there. After that i will see where the road takes me. I'm coming over on a working holiday visa so i think I'll spend a bit of time in the country towns. I figure that the big cities are more or less the same, its the villages where the culture is preserved. I plan to take only what i can carry on the bike and see the uk (and hopefully alot more of europe) by the senic route.

I plan on looking up each and every one of you all when i'm in your area. I figure I should at least meet the people with superb taste (ducatisti) in each country i visit.

I'm curious, why is the ST2 an undesirable bike over there?

Kalon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:52 am

My guess is that Ducati are perceived as sportsbikes and even then most brits will still buy Jap bikes, as for sport touring, most brits will definatley go elsewhere for that type of bike, due to reliability concerns, and not very great press coverage either.
My 2cents anyway.
PS I live outside London but am there at least twice a week.
Be Happy for you to buy me a drink on your visit
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Garage
Hi Kalon,

Yes, winters can be bad over here and even without snow, evening temps can easily be minus degrees C and lower. Factor in that salt is spread over most roads during the two months either side of the new year and its a nightmare for bikes but, some do ride right through winter.

WInter bike prices do drop 500-600 possibly - damaged repairables are popular, just have a look on Ebay.co.uk to get an idea.

And here is a great link for the uk

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com

good luck - Frank
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be happy to buy you all a drink when i get there. (My wallet just twiched nervously)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode