Help - Moving to the UK from USA - Can I bring my Monster? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Help - Moving to the UK from USA - Can I bring my Monster?

Hi guys,

I will be moving from the USA to the UK. Can anyone give me any guidance on whether I can bring (and it would be worth the hassle) my Monster S4RS with me?

It looks like it is possible with the single type approval process?

Thanks in advance for help or pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers

Mark

Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Hi, you should be fine, but there will be a certain amount of bureaucracy, including fees.. (as I'm sure you already realised!). Basically you need every piece of paperwork pertaining to your bike you can imagine, including the type approval number which you will get from DNA. Half a day in your nearest DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licencsing Agency) office will get it sorted if you have all the necessary stuff to hand.

The only mechanical changes you need to make will be a new head light (you might get away with just the lens...there is a BMW item that is the correct fit etc, and much cheaper than the Ducati part) so that your bike will pass a UK Ministry of Transport inspection (MoT test, if your bike is over 3 yrs old, you need to have it tested for roadworthyness every year).

This link might help:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...icle/index.htm
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Rob998!

One last question. My bike has a full termi system and I no longer have the stock exhaust. Will that cause a problem?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
Thanks Rob998!

One last question. My bike has a full termi system and I no longer have the stock exhaust. Will that cause a problem?
OK, it might or might not be. I have a 50mm Termi system & it passes the inspection every year, but on a Superbike, the "FOR RACE USE ONLY" stamp is hidden under the seat unit. If your system has this stamp & it is visible you might be in for a bit of trouble.

If the stamp isn't there or is hidden in some way, then the noise issue is down to the discretion of the tester. Some like the noise, some don't.

Depending where you are going to be living there will always be a "friendly" tester nearby. The DVLA will not specify a tester, you are free to use the one most convenient for you......

I would suggest joining www.ducatisti.co.uk and asking if there is a friendly tester in the area that you'll be living. It's a great site in anycase & there's always meets & stuff going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode