Eurpoean tour - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Eurpoean tour

Hello all.
I hope everyones had a great winter.
This Septmeber Im planning to take 3 weeks to explore europe by motorcycle. Ive considered shipping my SC to Portugal and having it for the trip which would be awesome. Other possibilties include buying a bike for around $3000 and then just selling it before I leave. Or just renting a bike. Does anyone have any experience with this type of trip. I plan on starting in Portugal, then Spain, France, Italy and maybe Germany.
Any tips on helmet laws, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 2:48 pm

I've been researching this a bit myself.
My conclusions:
You're better off renting than shipping/buying.

1. Shipping can cost about $2800 RT
2. Buying has some licensing issues, the pig-in-a-poke factor and you'll have to sell before you return. Too time consuming!
3. Renting. Relatively good deal. There are all-inclusive tours that will cost you around $6,000. (You can take one in Italy/Sicily and one in Spain or Switzerland, for example). These generally provide a bike AND a chase vehicle as well as a guide to great backroads.
4. Don't know about the laws. But dress warm. Europe is cold. Even in the summer - at least to me.
5. Google european motorcycle tours. Mucho info.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:18 am

Suggest you look on the regional and trip planning forums at advrider.com/forums. Lots of discussion and information concerning this subject.

Helmet will be required. ECE standard in Europe. I know US guys just use their normal helmet.

Good idea to get an international license from AAA before you go. May not be necessary, but good to have just in case.

Current bikes:
2006 BMW HP2 Enduro
1994 ATK 406

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2013, 8:47 am
Supermoderator - I´m special!

Garage
Re: Eurpoean tour

Not sure on prices, but registring a bike in Sweden requires a socialsecuritynumber or the eqivilant of a green card.. so without those your not going to get ownership.

Rrnting is a better option. Make sure you have a reservation and be clear about crossing borders! Most renters will not allow you to cross the border with their property.

Helmets are law that is enforced with gusto. Dont think of riding without one. A garanteed stop from cops. Any normal helmet is good enough unless its a very stringent cop.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2013, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I cant wait.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Wife and I are planning something similar, keep us updated
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I used to live in Rome, Italy and we used to rent bikes all the time. Depending on the model, you'd most likely be looking at around the 3k mark for renting. When the wife and I did northern Italy, we rented the MTS 1200 with full panniers, tank bag for 8-9 days. Cost us around 1100 euro. Maybe a bit less. Im sure you could figure out a deal if you told them your budget. try these guys if you would consider starting from Italy: CIMT.it
They have some nice new steeds in the stable too

Either way you go...have fun, Europe is a riding mecha....well, Italy is anyways

2000 996 SPS
2002 748E to S Back in the Saddle!
2003 Honda hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star 650 (Being re-resurrected!)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2013, 5:21 am

I don't know if you have decided which places to visit yet, but lately I've been planning a trip through Europe (starting here in Norway) myself. In 3 weeks you should be able to see alot of nice places, but in my research I've come across a couple of places you should check out. So let's start out with the obvious ones; Stelvio Pass, Nurburgring, Le Mans, Monaco. You should also see Nice in France, and Milano and Venice in Italy. Right inbetween Austria, Germany and Switzerland there's also a place called Bodensee. Check it out. It looks unbelievable to be honest. Grossglockner Alpine Road in Austria and the Transfagarasan road in Romania should also be checked out! Don't forget to get at good run on the autobahn, even tho it can be scary as hell.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2013, 11:50 am

Sounds nuts but if you were short on time, you could give Milan a miss....dont get me wrong its an alright city, but not much to see or do...unless your into the trends. As for Venice, keep in mind you'll have to find a secure lot to keep the bike in on the mainland as you won't be riding into Venice proper. Might sound obvious but you'd be surprised

Stelvio for sure....can steer you toward an AMAZING place to stay in Bormio, which basically at the start of the climb up to stelvio from the south. Their inhouse restaurant was to die for and the rooms were amazingly comfy! PM me in you want any good places to stop in the North of Italy...and if you venture south of Rome. Shit...Im getting jealous now

2000 996 SPS
2002 748E to S Back in the Saddle!
2003 Honda hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star 650 (Being re-resurrected!)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2013, 5:55 am
Life is too short to worry !

You need to decide what type of holiday you are wanting to achieve ?

When we have toured in a group we quickly realised there are those who enjoy want a holiday on a bike (enjoying the different places and roads whilst still having sufficient time to see a town properly) and those who prefer a biking holiday (on the bike all day every day , enjoy the riding but little time to see towns etc)

The latter is good for a keen rider but can be very boring for a pillion.

If you want the former then you need to be realistic about distances , Germany is a very long way from Portugal !

I would strongly recommend a company that rents out BMW's and riding gear from an Austrian town called Landeck. It is very central and you could visit many countries from that epicentre even with an occasional overnight stay. They even allow you to switch bikes from their range of pristine BMW's (I know not a Ducati but needs-must !)

Let me know and I will look up their name for you.
Allan

"The Grey Assassin" - 2005 ST4s
Goldvalves , Re-sprung rear Ohlins , Tapered headrace bearings , Galfer Front Discs , Open airbox with K&N filter , Iridium NGK's with Magnecor Leads , 15/42T Cogs , Helibars with Oxford heated grips , HID Lights , CRG 'Stubby' Levers , Zero Gravity DB Dark Screen , Twin-Tone Fiamm Horns plus a bunch of 'detailing' modifications.

Last edited by Gearbox; Mar 29th, 2013 at 6:13 am. Reason: Spelling and additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode