Bikers in Sweden - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 1:54 am Thread Starter
Banned

Bikers in Sweden

I am here until July 6. I have been watching the riders around here and I am surprised at how they often break the law here. I have seen wheelies, excessive speed, lane splitting, riding on the shoulder and other bad behavior that I don't see very often in America. On the plus side, the riders here wear all the gear, all the time.

The most popular bike is the Harley type, just like in America. The roads here are super smooth and the summer weather is awesome. I wish I had a bike to ride here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 6:47 am

Well, since the season is quite short we try to get as much riding as possible. Where are you in Sweden?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 10:23 am Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlundstrom View Post
Well, since the season is quite short we try to get as much riding as possible. Where are you in Sweden?
I figured that was the case. They seem to be everywhere right now. We are in Muskö, an island just south of Stockholm. My wife has a summer house here. We were up north yesterday, west of Söderhamn looking at houses for sale.

It is great to see the Swedes enjoying their brief but beautiful summer. I am not looking forward to going back to America. It is an inferno there right now.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Bly

Summer huh. There must be a lot of hot Swedish chicks in skimpy outfits.
Pics, man.

Multistrada 1100, sans fairing.
Black SFS.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 3:53 pm
Banned

Location: somewhere between atlanta & n.cali, ITALIA->UK->MI->GA->CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bly View Post
Pics, man.
what he said x3 (midsommer festival is coming up... it's like god's gift to men (at least those who can get to scandinavia during this period)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:50 pm
Supermoderator - I´m special!

Garage
Well for [email protected] sake Dirk! I live in stockholm and i have 2 bikes, You should PM me and Ill hook you up. There are some really nice roads around Södertörn (check road 257 from "Rosenhill" to "Västerhaninge" called "slingerbulten http://kartor.eniro.se/m/aVLVo) and i can show you around some if you want. Roslagen up north is bikers heaven aswell!

A word on the behaivor..
Sweden doesn´t have nearly as much police on the streets as they do in the US, so getting caught is more by accident then the fact that police actually monitor the behaivor as such.. Police are trained in the academy for a minimum 3 years and then 2 years probation and that is just the basic police assistent, so getting new cops out on the streets demands a longtime in training.. And then there are budget cuts. Good thing is that they are generally very proffesional

But like you said..
wheelies - Happens, but it depends on where you are.. Not as much as it was
excessive speed - This is a problem since police dont have large manpower. Police also have orders not to chase bikers if they run, because of the high risk "not worth the possible accident" is the reason the police leadership says
lane splitting - Legal in Sweden for bikers
riding on the shoulder - Also legal in Sweden for bikers if there is congestion. Max. 70 kph
other bad behavior - Comes back to police manpower again.

Most of the crowd i ride with are 30-40 years old and we ride hard on the track, but not on the street.. Mostly that is tha case with serios bikers, but just like everywhere, there are bad seeds.

Shoot me a PM! I´d love to get together for a cold one or for a ride!

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills

Last edited by amullo; Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:01 am.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2011, 1:41 am Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bly View Post
Pics, man.
Actually, I only see a very few very good looking women here. Of course, my eyes are on my wife, so I don't notice so much. Most Swedes are actually brunette, not blonde. They are born blonde but their hair color typically changes to brown by the time they are 30 or so. There are plenty of short and wide Swedes also.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2011, 1:56 am Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amullo View Post
Well for [email protected] sake Dirk! I live in stockholm and i have 2 bikes, You should PM me and Ill hook you up. There are some really nice roads around Södertörn (check road 257 from "Rosenhill" to "Västerhaninge" called "slingerbulten Kartor, vägbeskrivningar, flygfoton, sjökort & mycket mer på eniro.se) and i can show you around some if you want. Roslagen up north is bikers heaven aswell!

A word on the behaivor..
Sweden doesn´t have nearly as much police on the streets as they do in the US, so getting caught is more by accident then the fact that police actually monitor the behaivor as such.. Police are trained in the academy for a minimum 3 years and then 2 years probation and that is just the basic police assistent, so getting new cops out on the streets demands a longtime in training.. And then there are budget cuts. Good thing is that they are generally very proffesional

But like you said..
wheelies - Happens, but it depends on where you are.. Not as much as it was
excessive speed - This is a problem since police dont have large manpower. Police also have orders not to chase bikers if they run, because of the high risk "not worth the possible accident" is the reason the police leadership says
lane splitting - Legal in Sweden for bikers
riding on the shoulder - Also legal in Sweden for bikers if there is congestion. Max. 70 kph
other bad behavior - Comes back to police manpower again.

Most of the crowd i ride with are 30-40 years old and we ride hard on the track, but not on the street.. Mostly that is tha case with serious bikers, but just like everywhere, there are bad seeds.

Shoot me a PM! I´d love to get together for a cold one or for a ride!
Oh man, thank you so much for your kind offer. I don't know what to say. I would love to meet up for a beer and conversation. My wife supports my motorcycle habit.

Thank you for the education on Swedish laws regarding motorcycles. Lane splitting and riding on the shoulder is illegal in my state back in America. Wheelies are considered reckless driving also. I have not seen very much illegal behavior on the part of Swedish riders after all. Swedes in general are much more law abiding on the road in my experience.

My wife said the same thing you did about no traffic cops on the road in Sweden. In America, they even park empty police cars on the side of the road to scare people into slowing down.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2011, 6:49 am

+1 on amullo, let's have a beer!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlundstrom View Post
+1 on amullo, let's have a beer!
Sure, that'd be great to meet up. Where are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode