Aussies Only please - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 3:05 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Aussies Only please

Who do you by your batteries from and what sort for a 998?

I have my heart set on a SSB LH12B4 LITHIUM BATTERY, but looking for a good price? Prices seem to vary quite a bit.

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Cagiva Mito 125 1993 Bucket racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 4:39 am

Garage
I bought an SSB from Port Yamaha
Then bought one on ebay, somewhere in QLD I think.

Great batteries and have never put a charger near them, had a Shorai in the 1098 which I paid a fortune for and it shit itself.

I think you go to the SSB site and cross reference the model number of what you need. They are smaller but you just pack them up, in a Pani they are a pain in the arse because of the terminal position but once sorted all good.

If prices vary buy the cheapest

899 project
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 5:07 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Duc View Post
I bought an SSB from Port Yamaha
Then bought one on ebay, somewhere in QLD I think.

Great batteries and have never put a charger near them, had a Shorai in the 1098 which I paid a fortune for and it shit itself.

I think you go to the SSB site and cross reference the model number of what you need. They are smaller but you just pack them up, in a Pani they are a pain in the arse because of the terminal position but once sorted all good.

If prices vary buy the cheapest
Sage advice as usual

Cheers mate

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 6:39 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4265 View Post
I have my heart set on a SSB LH12B4 LITHIUM BATTERY, but looking for a good price? Prices seem to vary quite a bit.
That's the one I put in my Hyper when my Shorai started to crap itself. I got it from the RPM Moto ebay store, I think they had a special going so I got it for less than $200. Couple of years on, still starts like a champ. I've thought about getting a lithium-compatible charger but I haven't needed it yet.

It ships with a few little bits of adhesive-backed foam but nowhere near enough to pack it into the stock compartment. I had enough lying around to pack mine in so I used the bits that came with it to lift up the terminal nut to make it easier to do up the terminal screw.

2008 Hypermotard 1100 S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 7:05 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
lift up the terminal nut to make it easier to do up the terminal screw.
Yeah the terminal nuts, always shit me. If you have a couple of wires extra on your leads your always fuked. Yes putting something under the nuts is always the go that's good advice.

899 project
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 4:02 pm Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
That's the one I put in my Hyper when my Shorai started to crap itself. I got it from the RPM Moto ebay store, I think they had a special going so I got it for less than $200. Couple of years on, still starts like a champ. I've thought about getting a lithium-compatible charger but I haven't needed it yet.

It ships with a few little bits of adhesive-backed foam but nowhere near enough to pack it into the stock compartment. I had enough lying around to pack mine in so I used the bits that came with it to lift up the terminal nut to make it easier to do up the terminal screw.
For less than $200, you must have got the 290 CCA Model and not the 400CCA one?

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 4:35 pm

SSB are in Lansvale Sydney. I'm talking to them at the moment about some batteries for a racing yacht that save about 50kg for a grand plus. I'll get a price for your battery if you want? I'm looking at starting a 1.5 litre diesel plus doing a bit of deep cycle at 700-1000 CCA. Maybe I can get a discount stacking them all together.

I started my poor neglected 900SS yesterday that has sat around for months and it kicked in straight away. 4 year old Shorai I liberated from the US that had been left around unused for a few years. They aren't terrible but I have have seen a few go bad. The guys who import them wanted to help me out with a deal on a new one but I was in and out of the country at the time and I never got it together

66 350 Sebring, 93 900 SS, 2000 900 SSie
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 9:14 pm Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
SSB are in Lansvale Sydney. I'm talking to them at the moment about some batteries for a racing yacht that save about 50kg for a grand plus. I'll get a price for your battery if you want? I'm looking at starting a 1.5 litre diesel plus doing a bit of deep cycle at 700-1000 CCA. Maybe I can get a discount stacking them all together.

I started my poor neglected 900SS yesterday that has sat around for months and it kicked in straight away. 4 year old Shorai I liberated from the US that had been left around unused for a few years. They aren't terrible but I have have seen a few go bad. The guys who import them wanted to help me out with a deal on a new one but I was in and out of the country at the time and I never got it together
Thanks Dave, just make sure it's the LH12B4 400CCA. When are you in Muswellbrook again?

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4265 View Post
For less than $200, you must have got the 290 CCA Model and not the 400CCA one?

Craig
Yeah sorry, just checked my eBay records and it was the LFP12B4. Same external dimensions as the LH but 290 vs 400 CCA. Next time around, I'll probably check the price on them but I'd be wondering if I really needed the extra 110 CCA. YMMV of course.

2008 Hypermotard 1100 S
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2017, 4:17 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I just went out to my garage to check on the girls, and the charger is showing full lights as it did yesterday, so I stuck a voltmeter on it an it shows 13.8 volts, so I went and got the key.
The bloody thing started right up, WTF?

Yesterday, I got nothing but stuttering relays and no pump prime. Nothing has changed, except the bikes mind?

It's got me stuffed?

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode