Calling all Kiwi's - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Calling all Kiwi's

Hi all, I am planning a trip over to New Zealand in 2016 and plan to do some riding out there! I have been a couple of times but never rode. I am looking for any advice on places to stay in South Island like B&B's or hotels... Trying to keep the costs down if possible.

John

Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring 2017 "Unknown"
Ducati ST4S 2002 "Bitch"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 4:25 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw0dbb View Post
Hi all, I am planning a trip over to New Zealand in 2016 and plan to do some riding out there! I have been a couple of times but never rode. I am looking for any advice on places to stay in South Island like B&B's or hotels... Trying to keep the costs down if possible.

John
Hi John,

I am planning on doing the same, Corse1, has told me about the Burt Munro meeting in November (Spring time) & I am thinking that is as good a time as any. He is on the North Island, but they ride the South Island top to bottom for their adventure which would be an awesome ride. You would probably see 4 seasons in one day, so proper gear would be required.There are bike hire companies that have Ducati's but the daily rate outweighs the value.
I will check back here after some more research.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport...ml#post3930025

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Cagiva Mito 125 1993 Bucket racer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

I have driven there and found some of the roads won't suit the Ducati! There is a lot of unsealed roads there which are basically gravel roads. I think a BMW would be better suited.

John

Ducati ST4S 2002 "Bitch"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 12:17 am Thread Starter

I think it maybe worth checking to see if the insurance covers unsealed roads?

John

Ducati ST4S 2002 "Bitch"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 1:51 am

The best roads and scenery is in the south island. I have a mts, live in Queenstown and can safely say you can have a fantastic road trip without going on gravel roads. Lewis, Arthurs and Haast passes and milford road must rate with the best in the world. Enjoy the Kaikoura Coast, the Crown Range and Glenorchy Road too. Equally there are some fantastic gravel roads suited to an adventure bike (I used to have a GS). We are in the roaring forties so the weather is changeable, but if it is wet on the west coast, the alps will stop the rain, so it is likely to be dry on the east. Happy to give more local advice if needed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 9:58 am Thread Starter

I have done most of those roads via car, hence the reason to go on a bike there! Never really went past Dunedin which I would like to do this time, I have camped at kiosk Creek which was amazing.... We just watched the stars most of the night before going to Milford Sounds. We are just in the process of looking at accommodation and also bike hire! A bit early I know but getting excited already.

John

Ducati ST4S 2002 "Bitch"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Garage
I bought this book to check roads for bikes. It does a good job of splitting roads between adventure bikes and road bikes.

Harper Collins New Zealand

The Burt is getting closer Closer than 2016 anyway!
And yes I am getting a touch excited...

03 ST4s ABS - 03 Moto Guzzi Cafe Sport
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2014, 8:49 am

Garage
I did the Burt a couple of years back (2012) - with a couple of Kiwi mates (now Aus resident) who flew into Queenstown, and rented a couple of 650 VStroms. I rode down - and met up with them in Greymouth (they came up the middle of the South Island, and over Arthurs Pass), then we all headed south down the west coast, and over Haast pass to Wanaka for the night, then over the Crown range the next day. There's plenty of sealed road riding to be found, without heading into the unsealed stuff. Though some of the gravel road riding is pretty good too - just not on my Duc. The VStroms came with a top box - but that was all. I don't know if the shop does extra luggage options - my mates didn't need it, as one of their missus' flew over as well, and went direct from Queenstown to Invercargill, with the bulk of their gear in a rental car.

At that time of the year - the temps range from low 20's (not very often), down to the low teens (quite often). And it can get pretty wet, so good wet weather gear is a must.

There's a rally site for the Burt, where you can camp - or there's plenty of motels - not too expensive if you have a bunch of mates to split the cost.

As for accommodation - Google 'B&B's in NZ' - that will get you a few sites to search.

One thing my mates didn't take into consideration - distances here take a lot longer to cover than the same distance does in Aus. Something to do with all the corners... It caught them out with their planning a couple of times.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010077-email.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	457353  

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
I did the Burt a couple of years back (2012) - with a couple of Kiwi mates (now Aus resident) who flew into Queenstown, and rented a couple of 650 VStroms.

And it can get pretty wet, so good wet weather gear is a must.

There's a rally site for the Burt, where you can camp - or there's plenty of motels - not too expensive if you have a bunch of mates to split the cost.

As for accommodation - Google 'B&B's in NZ' - that will get you a few sites to search.

One thing my mates didn't take into consideration - distances here take a lot longer to cover than the same distance does in Aus. Something to do with all the corners... It caught them out with their planning a couple of times.

Awsome ride around the South Island in the last couple of weeks to do the "Burt". Is that heading out to the Punakaiki rocks in your pic? We manged 5100kms so coverd all the passes and sights.

Weather was average for us. Wet at the Burt but hardly used the wets for the remainder of the trip. Maybe saw 3 police cars the whole journey!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3941s.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	481537  

03 ST4s ABS - 03 Moto Guzzi Cafe Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode