National Donate Blood Week - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2013, 3:05 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
National Donate Blood Week

Give if you can, it doesn't hurt, you are only in the chair for 10 mins, paper work takes 15 mins, great milkshake afterwards, free water, cheese & biscuits.
I suffer no after effects, drink beer as per usual afterwards no problem.
Great cause, once every 3 months, so no big deal.

Give it a go if you can!

Thank you! | Australian Red Cross Blood Service

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Cagiva Mito 125 1993 Bucket racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Garage
Good call Craig.

For those who haven't donated yet - please consider this:

Currently only 1 in 30 people give blood, but 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime.

I owe my life to a timely blood donation, it could be you or a member of your family that needs it to live one day.

My workmates recently organised for regular paid time in work hours to donate - consider giving it a go in your workplace and making an event out of it.

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2013, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by damossguy View Post
Good call Craig.

For those who haven't donated yet - please consider this:

Currently only 1 in 30 people give blood, but 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime.

I owe my life to a timely blood donation, it could be you or a member of your family that needs it to live one day.

My workmates recently organised for regular paid time in work hours to donate - consider giving it a go in your workplace and making an event out of it.
That's the spirit Damo!

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2013, 4:22 am

I go in for about 900mls of plasma removal tomorrow. I'm on annual leave and don't have any plans so I may as well get my donation count up.

2008 MS4RS Tricolore
1993 Ducati 900SS
1984 Honda VF1000RE
1966 250 Ducati Scrambler

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a pebble and rolling an ankle.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2013, 4:34 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieDave View Post
I go in for about 900mls of plasma removal tomorrow. I'm on annual leave and don't have any plans so I may as well get my donation count up.
Good on you Dave, I've never done the Plasma gig, what's it like?

How long does it take & how often can you donate?

Craig

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Takes about 40 minutes in the chair but there are a few added risks. As the red blood cells are returned it is chased with saline at the start and end. The first time that happened was a shocker as I could feel my whole arm getting chilled.

But as the plasma is separated to the bag it has a citrate (I think that is what it's called) added. The risk is that the citrate might mix back in with the red cells - supposed to leave a metallic taste in the mouth.

I have done 78 whole blood donations over the years and when they started taking plasma I saw that as cheating as you could do that every 14 days instead of every 3 months. They like easy to find veins and it's always weird when they poke at them especially the new nurses. But they asked it I had thought about plasma and that is what the are after so I went with it.

You have to have had 3 whole blood donations first and then you can give your first plasma about 3 weeks after that. It is rather cool though as you get to see more people come and go. Ask them about it next time or sooner.

2008 MS4RS Tricolore
1993 Ducati 900SS
1984 Honda VF1000RE

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a pebble and rolling an ankle.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Sodium Citrate is the one with a sodium chloride (saline) chaser at the start and end.

Burnie only does whole blood and plasma but have 3 different folders for when you fill out the questionnaire. Not sure if everyone knows the secret code but it is blue folder for whole blood, red for plasma and yellow for first time donors.

Those with yellow folders are the ones to watch. I also read on the donate blood website that to donate plasma you need to have donated at least once in the last 2 years, be over 50 kg and be between 18 and 65.

I had the carrot today - they also have a hippo, spud, a bunch of footballs and one other new squeeze toy but I can't remember what it was.

More women came through while I was there, one policeman (too wet to be out on patrol) and a dad with his young son who spent most of the time hiding under his hoodie.

2008 MS4RS Tricolore
1993 Ducati 900SS
1984 Honda VF1000RE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode