Parts Manual - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Check the wires in and out of your R/R and the plug between the alternator and the R/R, if any of these wires insulation have changed colour as in look a bit brown or bubbled this could be the problem. Hope this helps

Rob
2007 SPORTCLASSIC 1000S
1981 SD 900 (gone to Ducati Heaven)

"Even if you can't define it, you know it when you see it."

Alpina STS Wheels
Dennis Foran Conti Replica Pipes
Showa Fully Adjustable Forks
Wasp Steering Damper
Wasp PUK
Wasp Tailchop
Paul Smith Fork Guards
Motoplan Iridium Screen
QBCarbon Hugger
Cox Racing Oil Cooler Guard
Bar End Mirrors
15/42 Gearing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivertown1 View Post
I got a new reg/rec from this company in Queensland PPMP
Hi Shivertown1
thanks for the link, I found these two links of a great source.

DUCATI ST2, 97-98 - Buy the BEST Stator Regulator/Rectifier CDI - ElectroSport

Search results for: 'Ducati st2 alternator'

The simple things in life please us, and I thank you for your simple little link..
Cheers Dave
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:29 pm

No worries Dave, I have a Reg/ Rec fault finding PDF if you want it, it has happened to me twice so I know what you are going through. The first time was very frustrating, be aware that if it is the R/R, it could have rooted your battery as well, sometimes it happens in tandem. Experience unfortunately

Rob
2007 SPORTCLASSIC 1000S
1981 SD 900 (gone to Ducati Heaven)

"Even if you can't define it, you know it when you see it."

Alpina STS Wheels
Dennis Foran Conti Replica Pipes
Showa Fully Adjustable Forks
Wasp Steering Damper
Wasp PUK
Wasp Tailchop
Paul Smith Fork Guards
Motoplan Iridium Screen
QBCarbon Hugger
Cox Racing Oil Cooler Guard
Bar End Mirrors
15/42 Gearing

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsparkes View Post
100% ! the guy whom has been "working" on your bike is yet to perform any kind of service to you. He may as well have been having a smoke and charging you for the time.

Workshops that cannot perform as they advertise totally piss me off. If he's anysort of motor mechanic he would have the skills to work the problem to a solution.

Clearly it's a failure of the electrical system of some sort. My assessment is that it's voltage generator or regulator failure. The battery can run the bike under some circumstances until it looses charge and the engine cuts out. After a "rest" the battery can gain some charge back enough to repeat the process.

You should try and get your money back.

If you are able to start the bike again, place a volt meter on the battery terminals, if it's reading less than 13volts, you have a failure in the charging circuit somewhere.

Hope you get it sorted. I don't think it's enough to ditch the machine over.

regards,
Hi JW
Well you are not telling me anything that I don't already agree to, this is the town I live in, I feel they are money hungry criminals and just want to rip you off.

I have done the battery voltage check many times and including this morning before putting a battery charger to it 11.29vdc, after a charger 12.39vdc, I have told the bike shops in the past my alternator/ charging system is failing to charge the battery, and have even been in court over this, no refunds will be given by the order of the magistrate (corruption abound)

I stopped in at an Auto electrician to have a word with him on my way home today, I gave him the rundown on what has happened and he said first off the rank, it's the electrical charging system not charging the battery, I'd bet it's your alternator, and I said but the bike shop tested it and they said its charge rate is fine?

Perhaps they didn't check it correctly is what he said, which stands to reason when I was charged $400 and basically nothing was done to fix the bike, so after talking with him, I cam home and went online to find some parts and these links seemed to be very helpful..

DUCATI ST2, 97-98 - Buy the BEST Stator Regulator/Rectifier CDI - ElectroSport

Search results for: 'Ducati st2 alternator'

So Now I think to book the bike in for these tests and replacements of the old for new to try solve this problems.... It's not the reason for ditching the bike as you say JW but it is the non stop, no reliability that I have had in the 4 years of owning it, I never had such issues with any of my jap bikes, the constant time and money being spent on it, is what makes me say time to move on...

Anyway thanks for listening and try have a great day... Dave..
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivertown1 View Post
No worries Dave, I have a Reg/ Rec fault finding PDF if you want it, it has happened to me twice so I know what you are going through. The first time was very frustrating, be aware that if it is the R/R, it could have rooted your battery as well, sometimes it happens in tandem. Experience unfortunately
Hi Shivertown1
Hey I woulds like any or all manuals that I can get for the old red, I have a owners manual, workshop manual, and now a parts manual, so if you got anything else to offer I am happy to collect them.

If you want a private email address let me know and I will try to find a way to give it out..
Cheers Dave..
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2012, 1:25 am Thread Starter

All wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Dave View Post
Hi Damossguy
Thanks for the great insight to the world of electrical demons, as for the ritual I am not so sure I wish to go that far, just shoot the old bugger and put her to sleep is how I feel...
However probably selling it is my best bet. Good luck with your adventures and thanks for the comical way of looking at it..
cheers Dave.
Howdy fellow riders.
The auto sparky said its the regulator rectifier, I bought one from this site DUCATI ST2, 97-98 - Buy the BEST Stator Regulator/Rectifier CDI - ElectroSport
To find they are both the wrong part, mine has the 3 molded bulky plugs attached to it, so now I am looking for some help on where I can find the right part... if anyone can help much appreciated..
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2012, 1:49 am

Hi Dave

What a nuisance. Take a look at this website (apologies if you have already visited it) Ducati ST FAQ

which states

"5.1 Regulator
A few owners have reported electrical problems with their ST (Electrical problems on a Ducati? Oh no….!). Many of the problems are related to loose connections, or an occasional faulty regulator. Another theory is that the older regulators are not able to handle the heat of the newer items, and being buried inside the fairing, there’s no airflow - the result being cooked (or partially cooked = flaky) regulators.

Older ST models have a battery light which will shine if there are problems. If your bike has problems with a constant flat battery, but the battery seems ok, or you have other gremlins… check the regulator.

The following tip comes from AJ: “If you have meter, try measuring the voltage when you ride, it should read something around 12.5-13 on idle and <1500rpm, then above 2000rpm it should settle around 14.1-14.4. If the voltage looks flaky then you should look at the regulator.”

The following hint comes from Chris Kirk:

“Did a bit of hitchhiking after the ST2 wouldn’t re-fire when I stopped to clean my visor after motoring through a brief but fierce hailstorm. Thought the regulator was cooked since it was showing no output so Steve @ SLMS is sending me a replacement. When doing some R&M while the fairings were off I did a thorough check of the regulator wiring & found corrosion had fried the internals of one of the two plug in regulator connectors to the alternator and a wire that looked connected in fact was not. Last night I hard wired the three yellow wires between the alternator/stator with soldered connections and protected the connections heat shrieked insulator wraps. The output is now marginally normal with13.88v @ 3K

So next time you guys have the fairings off, I’d suggest it might be worthwhile checking & cleaning the alternator/stator to regulator connections. A little dielectric grease on hand wouldn’t hurt.”

The regulator problem seems to be most prevalent on the 98 model ST2. Some owners have had the regulator replaced a number of times. An alternate to the standard regulator is the item by “Electrex”. Some work will be required to fit the non-standard item, as the mounting points are different.

Ruudje provides another alternative:

“Yes your regulator will be gone soon. But.... it can be operative for a year or more...

Noone knows.

Replace it for peace of mind and stock it for future use in emergency situation. That is what I did. I take it on longer trips.

The Electrex RR51 may die on your ST also. Even sooner as the original one did.

The Ducati replacement is better but expensive. Use a SH232-12 or SH538-12 from a totalled Honda, models CB125/250 of VF500. Other Honda models may have used the same regulator but from these models I know for sure. A used regulator will cost you not a lot more than $50 as the Duc replacement
goes for about 200.”
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:57 am

Funny you should mention that Honda regulator-I know the Yamaha 07 reg fits a Sport Classic(most models) and the regulator is one of the major problems for Ducs-some one once told me Ducati used only the best components-true to a point-but those Japs are electronic masters so I would definately use a Jap regulator no worries-clocks too
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2013, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Wink Those DUC Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Dave View Post
Hi Damossguy
Thanks for the great insight to the world of electrical demons, as for the ritual I am not so sure I wish to go that far, just shoot the old bugger and put her to sleep is how I feel...
However probably selling it is my best bet. Good luck with your adventures and thanks for the comical way of looking at it..
cheers Dave.
This Demon returns!
After changing the Regulator Rectifier (18 Months had pased) the same problem has continued, The bike will only run until the charge in the battery gets to low then it stops the bike, and will not satrt due to the voltage of the bike.
What ever it is, is draining power during the ride, so I turn it off and can not start it again, changing the R/R only lasted 18mnths and need to be replaced again.

How often do they need to be replaced?
What would cause the meltdown of the R/R In such a situation?
Has anyother ST2 owner had this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode