848 No start after shifter linkage work - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2019, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Garage
848 No start after shifter linkage work

It may be unrelated but I don't know how to proceed in any case to diag the issue.

I have successfully replaced the shifter spring kit as per SVC-09-009 bulletin, as shown in

The bike had gone down on the left side and the shifter spring had been broken. It ran fine after going down, but wouldn't shift up. That's fixed but now it wont start.

Everything went smoothly, although it took about 5 weeks in total between when the cycle was last running and now reassembled - had to wait for flywheel holder tool to come in from UK.

Confirmed shifter works with cover off, reassembled as per video and manual, torqued everything properly along the way. Fresh oil and coolant. Go to start the cycle and it did not start. Cranks okay.

Put battery on the charger for several hours, then used 100amp jump start setting of charger to attempt to start - still no start up. Confirmed we have spark from horizontal cylinder at least. That plug was wet with just a touch of fuel so I assume we have fuel delivery also - pump prime noise is fine too. No swirl in the tank as some have mentioned for disconnected fuel hose.

I have the right side intake snorkel off in order to fascilitate a top-off of the coolant once the cycle is indeed running. This allowed me to spritz some starting fluid into the right side air filter while cranking - still no start.

Bought a brand new AGM battery, put on the charger, then installed on clean terminal connections. At first start attempt we had what sounded like a half cough from one of the cylinders, back to nothing, even with engine start charger added.

How do I determine if I have screwed something up during the shifter repair, or if it's something else from sitting? Fuel filter? I dread the 3+ hours of going back into the alternator cover, redoing coolant and oil, re-sealing the cover with gasket maker etc. unless it's totally necessary.

Here's a video of the bike cranking with the new battery installed. It doesn't sound totally correct to my ears, but I don't know what this machine ought to sound like while cranking; I'm fixing someones bike and am not very familiar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2019, 8:18 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Does the bike have a tipover sensor ? Many injected bikes have a sensor that cuts fuel delivery if the bike goes over a certain lean angle. If it has one, you can bypass it to see if thatís the issue.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2019, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Does the bike have a tipover sensor ? Many injected bikes have a sensor that cuts fuel delivery if the bike goes over a certain lean angle. If it has one, you can bypass it to see if thatís the issue.
This is a decent hypothesis. It would strike me as unlikely however, given that the bike was running/starting fine, but now wont after the side cover /flywheel removal process some weeks later. I'm just worried I may have messed something up in that shifter repair task.

Will inspect the bike for tipover sensor and report back tomorrow.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2019, 9:30 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I just mention it because I recently had one go bad on a bike that hadnít tipped and only found it while eliminating all possibilities, I.e , all the sensors that would keep the bike from starting, like clutch lever, kick stand, and tip over. You can bypass them all easily with some jumper wires and cross them off the list.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2019, 10:08 pm

The toc-toc sound is strange. You sure you aligned the layshaft gear correctly?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2019, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
The toc-toc sound is strange. You sure you aligned the layshaft gear correctly?
Which gear are you referencing? I agree the sound doesn't seem totally normal.

I have confirmed the 848's don't have tipover sensors which would cut fuel.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by splazoid View Post
Which gear are you referencing? I agree the sound doesn't seem totally normal.

I have confirmed the 848's don't have tipover sensors which would cut fuel.
I talked about the top left gear but thought after that you didn't had to remove or disturb it so it can't be your problem.

Engine sound like the timing is off though. You didn't touched the belts?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2019, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I talked about the top left gear but thought after that you didn't had to remove or disturb it so it can't be your problem.

Correct - upper left gear remains in place for the shifter spring job. Is it possible to install the flywheel in an incorrect position? I don't think it has anything to do with timing?

I removed the alternator cover once more and then attempted to crank the bike again to see if anything had been contacting the cover.

Same clunk/tap noise while cranking. Cranking seems slow to me? Again, brand new battery to eliminate it as a concern.

I've made another video explaining what I can see - shown below.

How can I make sure the bike is getting fuel / rule out fuel delivery as an issue? Or more importantly that the timing isn't messed up somehow?

Belts etc have remained in place of course. I literally followed the shifter spring video, reassembled, and now have no start condition.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2019, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

I think I might be on to something. It seems as though the top left gear which I assume keeps the timing pully on the right side of the engine in time with the crank. That gear can indeed shift when things are uninstalled here. I don't know how to determine if this timing gear on the left is in sync with the crank, and also if the flywheel is in sync too.

I'm going to try poking around at the how to video of the spring job and see if I can line up my marks/gear teeth to match his, but if you know of a better way than this, it would be useful.

Here's a video of me demonstrating the top left timing-related gear being movable, which was unexpected.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by splazoid View Post
I think I might be on to something. It seems as though the top left gear which I assume keeps the timing pully on the right side of the engine in time with the crank. That gear can indeed shift when things are uninstalled here.

https://youtu.be/pvR1p9Vppl8
Yeah I assumed you never removed the small gear on the crank, but it can be pulled with the flywheel magnetism.

Look for the dots on the gears, I sent you a pm over this.

I hope your sound is not what I'm thinking, valves kissing the piston.
Dutch848 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode