Seized Engine - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Seized Engine

We recently purchased a 1996 Ducati Monster. The seller said it just needed TLC as it just sat for several years in his garage. We replaced the carb as there was a rodent nest inside it and was heavily pitted. Bought a new battery and once installed lights and horn work but when push the start and it doesn't do anything. I believe the pistons are seized and have been soaking to try and loosen. Should I take it out and try to manually loosen it or heat it up? Any thoughts on what the next step is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 2:17 pm
SP3
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancinithree View Post
We recently purchased a 1996 Ducati Monster. The seller said it just needed TLC as it just sat for several years in his garage. We replaced the carb as there was a rodent nest inside it and was heavily pitted. Bought a new battery and once installed lights and horn work but when push the start and it doesn't do anything. I believe the pistons are seized and have been soaking to try and loosen. Should I take it out and try to manually loosen it or heat it up? Any thoughts on what the next step is?

pull the plugs, put in a higher gear, and give the machine a push. then report back with your findings.
mancinithree likes this.

'91 851 SP3, '66 250 Monza, '99 Monster 900 City, '98 ST2
'99 Monster 750, '66 Riverside 250, '66 Riverside 250
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Garage
Red face pistons/

have heard vegetable oil (organic) in cylinders works well if seized & as written above-put it in 4 or 5 gear & try pushing.
mancinithree likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 4:14 pm
TNR

Garage
Quote:
The seller said it just needed TLC...
Ah yes, that old chestnut.
DS749R and mancinithree like this.

1995 916
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Garage
Quote:
Have we established that it is in fact a seized engine? It couldn't be that the starter relay is not powered up or switching waiting power to the starter? Rats eat wiring so I'd start there. Jumping straight to a seized engine conclusion just gets expensive and may not solve the actual problem.

As was stated several posts up, pull the plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand first. That will establish whether it is seized or not. If it is in fact seized, we can all chime in then with advice on what to take apart first.
casor, BobbyBoy, 2004 999s and 2 others like this.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannaduc View Post
Have we established that it is in fact a seized engine?
No kidding. Making a massive leap to ~seized engine~ when it may be as simple as a dead solenoid, bad start button, or blown fuse.
casor and mancinithree like this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Understood, we have the plugs out and mystery oil in, put in 5th gear and the tire won't even roll. Will check the solenoid, fuse and start button. I really appreciate all your help. Might be over my head!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 9:12 am Thread Starter

We put in 5th gear and the tire wouldn't even turn.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 9:13 am

Quote:
Understood, we have the plugs out and mystery oil in, put in 5th gear and the tire won't even roll. Will check the solenoid, fuse and start button. I really appreciate all your help. Might be over my head!
Well, if you've been able to put it in gear and it won't roll the ~stuck engine~ may be the problem. While it's ok to check the other stuff it seems as though you've already located the BIG issue. Good on you for using Marvel Mystery Oil in the jugs, that was always a go-to in my shop. Hopefully it's just one/more of the rings that are stuck in the cylinders. I wouldn't think the problem is actually a stuck piston.

Then again ... y'never know I suppose. There may be a complete/utter mess in the engine (busted/jammed crank, something catastrophic of that nature). Time and effort will tell the story here.
mancinithree likes this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2019, 10:13 am

Garage
belts?

pull the covers-maybe a broken belt causing a valve to jam a piston?
Rex Coil 7 and mancinithree like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode