996 wonít start - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Mojo66
  • 1 Post By 2004 999s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

996 wonít start

Ok Iíll try to make this as clear as possible because a lot has happened recently.

Bought this bike a month ago. Ran fine but soon started dying after riding it for a while. Also complained about losing power at 5-6k rpm. It would be fine riding it until I turn it off then the battery would be almost dead. Tested the rectifier and its connectors and they were fine. The battery would be around 13.5V at 4k rpm so it seemed to be charging fine. So I ended up getting a new battery.

As soon as I got the new battery I noticed the clear fuel connector on the tank was broken. Ordered the metal set online and replaced the male connector (will replace them all this weekend but that was the only broken one). Now it doesnít leak fuel anymore. But it wonít start. It cranks and primes fuel and clicks like itís going to start and even one cylinder sounds like itís about to go.

The last time I rode it it was running on one cylinder for about 5 miles because the old battery was dead and would barely start it up. Havenít gotten it to start since.

Also, the turn signals flash slow once and really fast after that. I did a test on the battery to see if anything was draining it and it only tested at .7mA so that doesnít seem to be the problem.

I have an led fender eliminator installed, but Iím pretty sure the lights blink fast even without it.

Iíd hate to jump it with a car again but when I got stuck on the side of the road and jumped it with a non-running car that was the best itís ever run. (No it didnít fry the rectifier because I checked it after that).

Possibly spark plugs flooded from trying to start it so much? They had plenty of time to dry, unless there was permanent damage.

The quick-flashing turn signals trips me up because I could see that causing a drain on the battery/charging system whatever it is causing that.

Sorry for the information overload. I love this bike and itís character but if I can never ride it then Iím going back to a BMW or a jap bike haha. 200 miles in one month is unheard of for me. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Garage
[QUOTE= It cranks and primes fuel and clicks like it’s going to start and even one cylinder sounds like it’s about to go.[/QUOTE]

Possible faulty CPS (crank position sensor) or ignition coil(s), mine is having simmilar symptoms. I'm currently awaiting a set of diagnostics cables from: LonElec. So that I can run some test and confirm the fault before I start changing out sensors Willy-nilly

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Guzzidiag-...nterface-Cable

It requires the JPdiag sorftware or simmilar software to use the cables.

Check my post in the Monster section. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-mons...ut-stalls.html

Hope this points you in the right direction

L8TR
Pete
TheGrouchyCat likes this.

Present: 08 S4RS Tricolore/#239/400 ..Always wanted something Italian & exotic!
Also 67 BSA 250 Starfire

Past: 77 Harley Davidson..Awsome bike, misse it
Also: 86 Suzuki Intruder 750
My first bike: 84 Yamaha Maxime 400
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Ok well it kinda started for one second this morning. I woke up to find that someone unplugged my battery tender. But I also read that lead acid batteries need a special charger and donít just charge from a tender? Idk but so far I havenít gotten it to start even once with this new battery.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Ok check this out. I have the EPFROM mod so only one injector is hooked up per cylinder. Now I just hooked up all four injectors and she started and ran for a solid few seconds and then bogged down. Iím thinking fuel is the issue now because the battery started it up fine like this.

Clogged injector from working with the tank connectors? Iíll try to unplug the front and rear injector and only hook up the two that I wasnít using before.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Nope, hooked up the opposite injectors as before and itís doing the same thing. Bike will start and run perfect for 2-3 seconds and then die. If I try to give it throttle it will slightly increase then die.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Also, these hoses under the tank arenít connected.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Garage
no fuel?

smart to jump with the car off.had the bat load tested?check charging alt. plugs for shorting & try swapping the f.i. relay.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Iíve checked the plugs but I can test the battery this weekend. Probably just fried it because I tried to jump it from my car to see if the battery is the problem and sparks went flying and overheated the cables and I think it melted the terminal too. They werenít on backwards but I donít think I hooked it up in the right order.

Well when I eventually got it hooked up the bike wouldnít even start. There is a spinning noise after trying to start, is that possibly the starter gear?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode