Newfangled fancy spark plugs??? (1996 900CR) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Newfangled fancy spark plugs??? (1996 900CR)

Bike = 1996 900CR ... 17.5K miles.

Are those fancy pants zoot capri spark plugs worth their salt? Such as those "E3" jobs?

I'm working up project lists for the bike, "Ignition" sub-chapter will include new cables/caps/plugs. I feel it's prudent to install new ignition system since we've such long stretches of highways without any services for 50 to 75 miles at a stretch. Since the carbs are off being refurbished and the tank is removed, I reckon it's a good time to work on the ignition and other electrics (including a rewire of the batt/charging/lighting systems).

Given that the bike is going on 24 years old, I may end up going with the CA CycleWorks cables, caps, coils kit;

LINK = ExactFit? High Voltage Ignition Coils Kit

(See attached image).

That said, are any of the hi zoot sparks a good idea? No?

Thankies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	California Cycle Works cables and coils kit - 01.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	947407  

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2019, 10:57 am

Garage
If you go to the Supersport section and you use the search function (top right corner), you will find loads of information on this and many other useful subjects.

You will even uncover neat threads like this one:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...crap-cool.html
Rex Coil 7 likes this.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R (race), 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO (race), 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2019, 11:48 am Thread Starter

I tried, but I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1996 900CR.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2019, 1:23 pm

Never tried them, but I have found E3's to be nothing more than gimmicky, in cars. I typically am more concerned with correct plug gap, than anything. I do use iridiums in my Ducatis... do they make a difference? Not that I could tell. But they do have two fantastic benefits that others did not... they were in stock, and on sale. 😉
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2019, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desimoto View Post
Never tried them, but I have found E3's to be nothing more than gimmicky, in cars. I typically am more concerned with correct plug gap, than anything. I do use iridiums in my Ducatis... do they make a difference? Not that I could tell. But they do have two fantastic benefits that others did not... they were in stock, and on sale. 😉
HA! I hear ya.

Yea ... I'm thinking those E3 plugs are better suited in applications where the engine is tasked with burning shitloads of fuel at high RPM ... such as nitrous oxide equipped engines and other "power adders" where a lot of fuel is being burned at very high cylinder pressures (drag racing and the like).

But for these "little putt putt engines in our little motorcycles" I'm thinking those iridium plated plugs will do just dandy. I've read a number of posts by trusted folks within our membership that have voiced support for them as well.

Right on ...

1996 900CR.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 8:18 am
Prolific Poster Award

I use the iridium plugs in most of my bikes. They work fine.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 9:24 am
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
" I'm thinking those iridium plated plugs will do just dandy. I've read a number of posts by trusted folks within our membership that have voiced support for them as well.
The Hall of Wisdom section of this forum there is an informative thread on Iridium - link below.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall...tml#post294987

Up to you to believe it or not Ripley.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 6:12 pm

Garage
I always thought the iridium tipped plugs were really intended for long replacement intervals rather than for any performance gain. For the ss the replacement NGKs are super cheap and work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2019, 3:41 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
The benefit of Iridium plugs is they feel like new plugs for a very long time. People who say they make the bike "run better" probably replaced a well shagged set of standard plugs with them. You'd get the same improvement in feel with a new set of standard plugs over a well used set, but they will degrade over time like any other standard plug. The Iridiums will likely last longer than most will own the bike. They have one reason for existing, longer mandated emissions warranties in cars. I get a new company car every 3 years. In that time I will put around 130K miles on it. Never replaced a set of plugs. Company won't even authorize that kind of work for normal service.

Some have had problems with them. You need to gap them larger than your bike's manual indicates. They come pre set at something close to 1mm. Leave it like that, work well.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2019, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS904 View Post
The benefit of Iridium plugs is they feel like new plugs for a very long time. People who say they make the bike "run better" probably replaced a well shagged set of standard plugs with them. You'd get the same improvement in feel with a new set of standard plugs over a well used set, but they will degrade over time like any other standard plug. The Iridiums will likely last longer than most will own the bike. They have one reason for existing, longer mandated emissions warranties in cars. I get a new company car every 3 years. In that time I will put around 130K miles on it. Never replaced a set of plugs. Company won't even authorize that kind of work for normal service.

Some have had problems with them. You need to gap them larger than your bike's manual indicates. They come pre set at something close to 1mm. Leave it like that, work well.
DPR8EIX-9 ... or ... DPR9EIX-9 ???

1996 900CR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode