Lack of power - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Lack of power

I have an issue with my bike. I have a 2012 Multistrada. Bike has 24,000 miles. Bike has surging issue at 5,000-6,000 rpm and will not rev above 6,500 while riding but will hit rev limiter while in neutral. The bike will not throw and error code on the display. I have removed and cleaned fuel injectors and run Chevron Techron with new gas and it has not helped. It feels like the bike is running on one cylinder at times and has occasional misses at low revs. The bikes torque is significantly reduced compared to a healthy bike. The big is going through gas very quickly. If i unplug one cylinder as test and try to start the bike on the other cylinder by switching out the spark plug, coil, fuel injector, map sensors it runs with all configurations. Spark plugs and coils look relatively new. Both coils and spark plug give spark. Spark plugs spark is more orange than blue. Air filter is very clean. Spark plugs looks similar between cylinders, a little dark but not bad.

My exhaust servo does not move(rusted very bad) but i have tried the bike with it wired open and shut. Wired open is not too bad(just issues listed above) and wired shut robs the bike of all its power(struggles bad up hills).

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 6:40 pm

This sorta sounds like my failed throttle unit on my 821...in the end I couldn't go above 80mph redline in neutral...if I snapped the throttle to it's lock the check engine light would come on and I would have to turn off and turn on the bike ...if yours is ride by wire I would give it a look...at least with mine the wiring began to corrode so the signal strength never could reach 100%...hooking it up to Ducati software could check the part for faults or strip a wire looking for corrosion

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. The throttle is not ride by wire, its old school cable attached to the throttle body.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor82 View Post
Thanks for the response. The throttle is not ride by wire, its old school cable attached to the throttle body.
hmmmmm, but it does have a throttle position sensor, or a crank timing sensor...would exhibit the same problem

Last edited by Buhgaboo; May 25th, 2019 at 9:30 pm.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor82 View Post
hmmmmm, but it does have a throttle position sensor,or a crank position sensor...could exhibit the same problem
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

One other thing i was not sure about was that the spark was orange on the spark plug and not blue when i tested it. Is it typical that the spark produced on the spark plug for most bikes be blue?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Spark colour in a given gap would mainly be a function of spark current and temperature....blue being a hotter spark and is what you expect in a high compression engine...it could be plausible that the dwell of the spark is too short or latent preventing a proper ignition under load...it does seem to fit with redline in neutral...and thus point to the coil packs...but I'd start with cleaning the chassis ground and battery terminals before going after an electric gremlin
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Took off ground connections and cleaned terminals and fitting face with electrical cleaner and wire brush. No change other than i now smell some sort of burning electrical smell. Next step i am replacing fuel filter and changing spark plugs.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Changed spark plugs and fuel filter and although it is slightly better, it is still missing substantial torque. The fuel filter had a good bit of dirt in it and the spark plugs looked worse than i thought relative to a new one though still not horrible. Still not throwing an error code. Next is to borrow a coil and crankshaft position sensor off my friend whose 1200 is running normally and try swapping them out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6586.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	944735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6578.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	944737  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode