Sf848 - vibrations after oil change - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By scott

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2019, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Sf848 - vibrations after oil change

Hey!
As the title states i have a sf848 2012 with 27k km on it. I did the belts and valves at 24k and changed plugs, brake pads, sprocket and chain etc at about 20k. I live in norway so i had the bike in winter storage the entire winter, took it out about 4 weeks ago. I changed oil and brake fluid before i rode. So, first two days and everything is perfect. Feeling happy that the bike is running nicely (had some problems last two years with steering bearings and clogged fuel filter amongst other things). Then its like a flick of the switch and the bike runs terrible. I rode it to work and parked in a warm garage and then it was different when i was leaving. At the time its was still bellow 0 celsius some nights and i had it standing outside when not at work. It's louder (not in a good way) and vibrates a lot under load. Mostly bellow 5k rpm. Feels like power is down, but not much. It smells more gasoline than before as well. I did a few things to diagnose, but my mechanical skills are limited. Here's what i did :

- oil level was too high: drained 0,5L.
-checked plugs: oil in threads of the plugs and black plug tips. Cleaned as best as i could and changed plugs.
- cleaned airbox: it was not dirty
-changed oil again to correct level
-reset TPS
- been through 2 tanks of fuel with injector cleaner in them
- no error message in tuneecu

I know i f..d up with the oil and probably my troubles are related to this, but i dont know what else i can do now. Any tips?

Upgrades (had them for 1,5 years) :
-DP ECU: through tune ecu with o2 sensors disabled.
-k&n air filter
-AR gp2 exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2019, 7:15 pm
Administrator

Garage
I will copy this over to the Streetfighter forum section if you don't get any response on this in the next 24 hours.
svettern likes this.

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 8:11 am
Prolific Poster Award

Iíd start by checking the plugs again. After getting the oil level corrected you shouldnít have black plugs anymore, unless itís an issue with the tune you have in the ecu. Are you sure you donít have too much injection cleaner in the tank ? Did it start running worse after buying fuel ? If the plugs look ok, take it out and ride it hard, see if it gets any better. Run that fuel as low as you dare and put some fresh in from a different source. You could have water in the fuel.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I'll check the plugs again and reset the mapping when I get off work. I've been running the map for almost 2 years so I would be surprised if that is the source.
It occured when it ran on the same tank of fuel that had been sitting for 4 months during storage (full tank of 98 octane which is about the same as 91 in the US). It's been stored in a tempered garage, but the fuel has been a problem before so I'll try what you suggested. However it doesn't feel like the fuel is at fault because it doesn't cut and bog, it just feels off constantly. Like the ignition timing is out of sync or something.
Currently no injector cleaner in the tank which is full of fresh fuel.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 9:33 am

Garage
vibs?

maybe caused by a cylinder cutting out? do the exh. head pipes feel equal in temperature while running or is 1 noticeably cooler to touch?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Garage
hey, thanks for helping. The exhaust heads feel like they are at the same temp.
Today I got to test the bike after checking plugs and resetting the mapping back to original. The plugs where somewhat black so I changed the mapping. I went for a 40 minute ride and it feels much better. Still got vibrations under load when rpm is under 4500, but its not that much worse than before everything went bad. I still think there is something wrong because the fuel smell is still present and I got louder backfires when I let go of the throttle. Airbox og filter seemed ok. Guess I just have to run the tank empty and report back later. I find it strange that the mapping suddenly was off. Can the temperature change have an effect? It's been fluctuating between 22 degrees celsius and 0 after I brought the bike out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190503_160747.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	942373  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 7:25 am

Check the rubber intake manifolds. Check if there are no leaks. Remove them check for cracks and if they still seal good to the cylinder heads.

| Ducati sbk 848 2007 | Ducati sbk 1098 S 2008 | Ducati sbk 848 EVO 2013 |
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by svettern View Post
hey, thanks for helping. The exhaust heads feel like they are at the same temp.
Today I got to test the bike after checking plugs and resetting the mapping back to original. The plugs where somewhat black so I changed the mapping. I went for a 40 minute ride and it feels much better. Still got vibrations under load when rpm is under 4500, but its not that much worse than before everything went bad. I still think there is something wrong because the fuel smell is still present and I got louder backfires when I let go of the throttle. Airbox og filter seemed ok. Guess I just have to run the tank empty and report back later. I find it strange that the mapping suddenly was off. Can the temperature change have an effect? It's been fluctuating between 22 degrees celsius and 0 after I brought the bike out.
Sf848 - vibrations after oil change-ngk-2013-complete-nc_page_207_1.jpg

| Ducati sbk 848 2007 | Ducati sbk 1098 S 2008 | Ducati sbk 848 EVO 2013 |
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2019, 5:08 pm

My dads 848 was like shit due to a dirty injector. The 848 injectors are fairly cheap. Iíd pull them and take a look. Also was the ECU programmed to deleted the O2 sensors? Itís my understanding that the DP ecu for the 848 Evo still requires O2 sensors, not positive on non-Evo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2019, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Garage
hey, thanks for helping. I haven't checked the injectors, but I'll do it as soon as I can. The weather has been bad so all I did since last time was check the injector relay which was ok (i don't have a garage). Yeah, i deleted the O2 sensors with the DP map and had it running really good for over a year, but i flashed the ECU back to oem after the roughness/backfiring occured. Felt like it helped a little at first, but now the rough running is becoming progressively worse. Backfires are getting louder as well. I will check the intake manifolds and the injectors next. I think I'll change the fuel filter as well, but I already did that last year..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode