DS 1100 belt tension ? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By belter
  • 1 Post By belter
  • 1 Post By ducvet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 3:32 am Thread Starter

DS 1100 belt tension ?

I changed new belts and tried to adjust them with 5/6mm allen key -method. Both belts looked VERY loose so i decided to check frequencies. When adjusting/measuring i always had cylinder i was working with on TDC. Both where something like 60-70Hz so I adjusted them again to match 100-110Hz. Service manual says 140Hz for both, but i have heard Ducati has lowered them to 110Hz and from my opinion that`s propably very wise decision. Even 100-110Hz is tight. Now you can I fit 2.5mm allen key between fixed roller and belt (horizontal) and even 3mm but it`s VERY tight. 5mm fits to vertical but it`s very tight. I pushed belt from both sides of the roller with one hand and then tried with allen key with other hand.

Obviously the 5/6mm allen key -method isn`t legit with DS 1100 ? Haven`t heard that before.

Is the torque for mobile roller bolts 26Nm ? That`s what the manual says.

My setup was old Windows laptop (Dell M6400), JPDiag and Shure PG57 mic. I used test signals and got very accurate readings. Only 1Hz lower readings at some point between 50-200Hz.

Bike is -09 Hypermotard 1100.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 6:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vklnuppi View Post

Obviously the 5/6mm allen key -method isn`t legit with DS 1100 ? Haven`t heard that before.
we say it every time someone asks, but it's a case of reaching everyone. not relevant at all.

use the sonic method, and set them to no more than 100hz. the 05 ish> ds motors used a thinner bearing journal at the lh end, and if you use 110hz or the 140 the books say they will get noisy when hot - makes a noise like a bad car water pump or alternator bearing. makes my skin crawl.

turn the engine over several times between adjustment and taking a reading. they will vary somewhat with each rotation.

26nm is good.
ducvet likes this.

know all wanker
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 8:13 am

Garage
I can not tell you how many people do not listen when we say do not use the Allen key on those motors, makes you want to stop beating your head against the wall. I have had people jump time doing so and damage motors but the next guy will say but the internet says.......

Your job is to read as much as you can and make a decision on what it best, no one will hold a gun to your head it is your bike. The Op was smart enough to test both ways to see how far out of spec. the Allen key method was and used sound reasoning in my opinion to decide against using it. Problem is that there are 10 times the owners who will not do that and just run the belts loose. also keep in mind new belts stretch so in 1000 miles how loose would they have been.

Yes some will have no problems over a billion miles using the Allen key method but kind of unprotected sex in Africa you are taking a greater chance of something going horribly wrong.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 2:12 pm
Prolific Poster Award

The Allen key method was pretty vague for me. What did it mean ? How hard did I have to try to get that Allen key in there ? I used to do it. Then back that adjustment up by using a Harley belt tension gauge to verify. Now I use a app on my phone . Still seems vague. I back that up with the Harley tool. I get pretty much duplicate results. If I match the phone app I know Iím ok.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 2:19 pm
Prolific Poster Award

One thing to remember, the belt gets considerably tighter when the motor is hot. I once had a new belt stretch fo some unknown reason and it was loose as hell and still didnít jump a tooth, so I think there is some leeway on the spec . I wouldnít try to find out the hard way, though. Amateurs should always err on the side of caution.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2019, 5:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
we say it every time someone asks, but it's a case of reaching everyone. not relevant at all.

use the sonic method, and set them to no more than 100hz. the 05 ish> ds motors used a thinner bearing journal at the lh end, and if you use 110hz or the 140 the books say they will get noisy when hot - makes a noise like a bad car water pump or alternator bearing. makes my skin crawl.

turn the engine over several times between adjustment and taking a reading. they will vary somewhat with each rotation.

26nm is good.
Thank you. These are now in something like 105-110Hz but the belts are new and propably will stretch little bit. Do you think that`s o.k or should i drop the 5Hz off ? Or does it matter at all.
Covers are still off but I`ll but everything back together as soon as I have time.

And thanks for everybody.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2019, 5:49 am

i'd knock them back a bit.
Vklnuppi likes this.

know all wanker
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2019, 6:56 am

Garage
keep in mind if you are on the loose side to be safe (105 is fine on a new belt) but a little looser like 95 is safer. As long as you warm the bike up before hitting that throttle you will likely never have a issue.

This is a habit where I find some owners think it is good to find redline on a cold motor for some reason, dont be that guy there is nno reason to be.
Vklnuppi likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 6:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
i'd knock them back a bit.
Thanks. I left the horizontal to 105Hz and backed the vertical to somewhere between 94-100Hz, propably 97Hz. I`m gonna check them again after 1000km (620miles) because they are new ones and adjust them to 90-95Hz then.

I have to say that horizontal was very easy. I just adjusted it to 105Hz and turned engine round, then measured again and keep doing this about ten times. Everytime it gave me the same 105Hz. But the vertical was really frustrating. It felt like after every roll it gave me different value between 88-110Hz. It took me about hour to get it settle in right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
keep in mind if you are on the loose side to be safe (105 is fine on a new belt) but a little looser like 95 is safer. As long as you warm the bike up before hitting that throttle you will likely never have a issue.

This is a habit where I find some owners think it is good to find redline on a cold motor for some reason, dont be that guy there is nno reason to be.
Thanks for the advice. When I bought my first bike (2stroke 125cc Cagiva Mito) the salesman told me the same. After that I have always let the engine warm up couple mins even before hitting the road and I never hit the throttle before temperature has reached the normal level. Of course it was even more important in 2stroke engines.

If somebody is doing it just with allen keys, i would say 5mm to vertical and 2.5-3mm to horizontal, but tension really depends how much you push the roller when adjusting so it`s propably good idea to check frequency too. This Tension2go-app gave me same results as Jpdiag&Shure PG57 although it`s harder to use. But do it at your own risk !

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode