• 1 Post By ducvet
  • 1 Post By smoke4ndmears
  • 1 Post By juan1
  • 1 Post By belter
  • 1 Post By smoke4ndmears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Rebuilding 749 motor economical?

I'm considering making an offer on a clean 749 track bike with a motor issue. The owner over-revved it going into a tight right-hander at a track day in 2014 and hasn't run it since. It wasn't smoking, but making a pinging\knocking noise (two different things to me) and he suspects valve train issues. I would lean more towards a spun con-rod bearing but at this point it's all speculation. Figuring a bottom end issue is the worst case scenario, would it be worth rebuilding the motor or just getting a working used unit? Asking so as to factor into my offer.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 10:03 am

Garage
I bought one from a owner a couple years back with a known engine issue, I am a mechanic so I figured I would just fix the broken bits. When I tore the motor down it was easy to see the rider kept the throttle open for too long past the point of no return so there was not enough of the motor to make re-building worth while. I chose the replacement route and $1500 later had a similar mileage (12,000) motor in the chassis. I tuned it while I was at it and ended up with a good bike again.

As to value factor in a replacement motor and costs to swap, keep in mind a used motor may be a crashed bike that spent its last 30 minutes running on its side at the bottom of a canyon so you will never know what condition the rods and mains are in. if that bothers you walk away, if not think about 999 motor swaps etc and have some fun. A complete rolling chassis is what you re buying so i would expect $1500.00ish depending on what other parts are on the bike.
smoke4ndmears likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Just the reply I was expecting and from the source I hoped. The only real fancy part on the bike is the de-rigueur Termignoni exhaust system. Basic track stuff after that -clip ons, rear sets, bodywork. Besides the motor, the only other issue I see is that it's unfortunately sprung for a gorilla.

There is also a handy industries motorcycle lift that is part of the deal, so that gets factored in too.

As always, thanks for your advice!
ducvet likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:48 am

Or I got a nice 999r motor to put in there lol

all my money goes to, 2010 1198 street bike, 2000 748 with a 999r motor track day bike, 2006 gsxr 1000 track day bike
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:51 pm

it's never economical rebuilding one of these.

know all wanker
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Well the seller accepted my offer, and I'll have a nice summer project on my hands. For a little more than you mentioned ducvet I got the bike and the lift. Not bad!

I'm thinking of getting it back on the street and enjoying it a bit before selling it on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Turns out it's a 749S, so that's interesting. Looks so good it might make me do stupid things with my money.

Dukerdr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in