Changed the map in my 749 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm Thread Starter
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Changed the map in my 749

OK. I was going to wait until next week to do the map swap, but I couldn't wait. With the help of @Punch , I've been evaluating maps for my 2003 749s and learning a few things.

It would appear that somewhere along the line, the map in my bike was altered. No big surprise. I've never known the history of the bike and it was in rough shape when I rescued it. It always ran, but I could feel a flat spot around 4-7k rpm. I knew something wasn't quite right, but wasn't ready to do anything about it until now. So, I was able to find both a stock map and a modified DP map thanks to the members of this forum posting them or pointing me in the right direction.

I loaded the stock map for now. As best as I can tell, the only mods to my bike are the Termi half-system. The first thing I noticed was a drop in idle speed with the stock map. My map's RPM table started at 1000, but the stock map starts at 900. Not exactly sure what was going on there. The other thing I noticed right away is things are running a lot richer. I could smell it. Maybe I need to check the CO? Strange that the stock map would be richer than what was there.

I also reset the TPS before heading out for my shakedown run, as required. My old map TPS table started at 2.11 and I've always seen things say the setting should be 2.3 at full closed. The stock map starts at 1.4 and IAWDiag reset the TPS to 1.4. So, is this a European setting? Does it even matter since the stock map starts at 1.4 which is what the TPS is now set to? The bike felt pretty good on my test ride. No off idle stumble.

So many more questions, but they'll have to wait until I put some more miles on it and get a better feeling for the changes. I think I've opened a can of worms.

2005 ST3
2003 749s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2019, 4:38 pm

can you email me the map you read out of it?

know all wanker
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2019, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Attached is the map that was in the 749. Not sure why you'd want it, though. It just looks wrong. I've been emailing back and forth with Punch going over the differences between it and the other two maps that I have. He's been very helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2003Duc749s_ver0.bin.pdf (256.0 KB, 19 views)

2005 ST3
2003 749s

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2019, 9:01 pm

that file you linked has 1.4 as the bottom tps value. it is a lot leaner in general compared to a std or dp. there's no id, which is typical of 59m files, so it's hard to know what the application or basis is.

the 749 closed throttle setting is 1.4 degrees, the 999 is 2.3. but somewhere along the line that seemed to get transposed in terms of throttle body fitment into euro and usa. all the 749/999 we got had 1.4 degree throttle setting. we had to fix it on the 999 to make them nicer down low, the early 999s had a really horrid rich spot off idle.

know all wanker
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 12:20 am
Excel Addict

All three bin files were opened in Tunerpro using Meinolf's 59M ....... Beta4 XDF

The bin in the ECU is odd.
In the attached Excel (remove the .pdf) there are two tabs.

The first one compares the bin from the ECU to the stock one Yorik provided and a modified DP to stock.
The colours just show more or less fuel than stock.
Scrolling to the right shows the % differences.

The second tab shows the TP legend. Sensible for stock and DP but the bin from the ECU is odd at the far right.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bins compared.xlsx.pdf (44.1 KB, 17 views)

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 1:40 am

the xdf is wrong. the 9 is the start of the rpm scale.

know all wanker
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 2:12 am
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
the xdf is wrong. the 9 is the start of the rpm scale.
Check out the two screenshots.

Same XDF, different bins.

One is correct and the other is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yorik bin via Meinolf XDF.png
Views:	26
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	940147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock bin via Meinolf XDF.png
Views:	27
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	940149  

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 2:26 am

i use winols - i can see all the numbers in the file. the xdf is wrong, it's two bytes (8bit) off at the breaks and spark map. the fuel is correct.

know all wanker
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 3:34 am

maybe i should rephrase my response, so as to clearly state what someone would understand i was implying if we were having the conversation face to face. sometimes i just can't be bothered typing, but have realised that blanks left are often filled with something other than the intended.

the xdf you are using is incorrect for the file that yorik read from his ecu. it is correct for the other 749 files i will assume as the dp and std 749 files i have are offset compared to the one supplied by yorik. i expect this would coincide with your tunerpro displayed files, as i can see the issue in winols.

know all wanker
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 6:52 am Thread Starter

Garage
So, what does this mean? Please bear with me, I'm just starting to learn about this stuff.

Should I not be using the stock or DP maps that I have?

My rudimentary understanding is that the xdf is the "window" that provides the "view" to the bin and that different "windows" will give you different "views." But if the bin is correct for the bike, shouldn't the "view" provided by the xdf be the same regardless of the bin if the bin is correct? This makes me wonder which is incorrect. Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

2005 ST3
2003 749s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode