Multistrada: misfire/backfire, loss of power - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By herveyw
  • 1 Post By herveyw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 12:06 am Thread Starter

Garage
Multistrada: misfire/backfire, loss of power

Posting here for greater visibility as I have a week before the dealer can look at the bike, original thread is here: "A bunch of errors...". I think the fuel sensor error, which is intermittent, can safely be ignored as a red herring.

Essential details: the bike starts up and idles just fine, no strange noises. As the engine warms from cold it begins to develop a misfire/backfire that gets progressively worse; for a while it will clear with the throttle open and the bike pulls normally. Eventually it reaches a point where there is a loss of power and the engine will stall under load. It will restart and idle, but any attempt to put load on the engine will cause it to stall.

I realize there could be a range of possibilities, but any ideas, particularly ones I might be able to test myself would be appreciated.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 8:33 am

When my plug wire got cut it exhibited similar behavior...as it warmed up it got worse... possibly loose corroded connection?

Last edited by Buhgaboo; Mar 23rd, 2019 at 8:38 am.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
When my plug wire got cut it exhibited similar behavior...as it warmed up it got worse... possibly loose corroded connection?
Thanks for the suggestion; basically I've no idea what is going on, I'm chasing ghosts. For no good reason, I checked and cleaned the exhaust valve, seems to be functioning. Yesterday evening I powered it up, no warning lights, ran the engine to fan temperature with no problems, but I did not try to ride it. Started it an hour later and the fuel sensor lost it, but no separate engine error. No warnings on it this morning, I'll try to ride it today on my AAA card ;-)

I plan to get it to the dealers if only so they can pull the diagnostic codes; ideally that shows root cause.
Buhgaboo likes this.

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Huh, so my Multi is alive again, w00t!

I cannot say with absolutely certainty why; literally the only thing I did was make sure the exhaust butterfly valve was not stuck closed. After I checked that, she got her act together.

Onward to my Desmo service...
Old rider likes this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Following up, mainly because when I search threads I like to see a resolution. This problem is not resolved:

-- Misfires and poor running on the way to the petrol station on Saturday, no CEL. Filled up, added some Techron, ran fine for the 100mile day trip
-- Monday to work and back, all good. Fuel gauge is alive.
-- This morning, misfires at start up and idle. No CEL. Took it to work anyway.
-- This afternoon, much more unhappy, misfires and loss of power, sketchy in traffic, no CEL.

It goes to the dealer on Thursday to pull diagnostics in an attempt to understand what's going on.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2019, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Hopefully this is the end of the tale, diagnostics showed no active errors but some stored errors:

-- Intake Air Temp - short to battery or open circuit (yup, this is in the nose, I disconnected it when doing the fork seals)
-- Suspension Preload Adjuster (Blocked Engine) (yup, probably me)
-- Horizontal MAP sensor - short to supply or open circuit. (manifold air pressure, not me).

So I have a MAP sensor ($127 incl tax) on order and cross fingers that does the trick. I'm also hoping Ducati will replace my fuel sensor for free.

Being able to read these codes myself would have made this less painful ($130 incl tax), so I think I'm going to try to scratch that itch.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Map sensors are common problems and you can get JPDiag software to read and clear codes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2019, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeslider View Post
Map sensors are common problems and you can get JPDiag software to read and clear codes.
It seems so. I am headed down the JPDiag path but there isn't a Windows computer in my house, so I'll be futzing with a VM. Many of the bluetooth ODBII components also appear to be incompatible with iOS which is my preferred platform vs Android. There is however a lot of open source software for CAN bus interaction that, if I find time, I plan to explore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode