Hurricane Michael survivors - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2018, 1:24 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
MTSBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Panama City, FL, USA
Posts: 62
Garage
Hurricane Michael survivors

We rode out the storm, and survived relatively unscathed. We had to evacuate due to the house being unlivable, so for the time being, we are going to collect our thoughts in Daytona.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2015 Multistrada DVT S Touring
Former lovers; '09 Triumph SpeedIII, '03 Suzuki SV1000S, '02 SV650 (trackbike)
MTSBoom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Senior Member
 
Iwannaduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfield , Nor Cal,
Posts: 799
Garage
From a fellow retired boom

Glad to know you're alive and well. I thought about trying to find out if you were okay when I saw the damage to Tyndall. So sad to see that. I survived Hurricane Opal there back in the mid 90s. That came ashore as a Cat III, and while the damage was servere, it was no where in the same league as what I saw on the AF Portal.....sean
MTSBoom likes this.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Iwannaduc is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2018, 6:59 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
MTSBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Panama City, FL, USA
Posts: 62
Garage
It was very therapeutic to be on the bike today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2015 Multistrada DVT S Touring
Former lovers; '09 Triumph SpeedIII, '03 Suzuki SV1000S, '02 SV650 (trackbike)
MTSBoom is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 7:19 am
Member
 
theapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panama City, FL, USA
Posts: 85
Garage
We got pretty lucky; lost three windows in the living room and master bedroom, no trees near our house. Damage from the windows and water coming in but nothing to make the house unlivable. Power came back on last night, so that was a pleasant surprise. Garage doors dented and banged up from a ton of shingles but both bikes survived just fine!

01 748
02 998R #460
theapp is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 10:02 am
Prolific Poster Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grass Lake, Mi, USA
Posts: 5,503
Images: 4
Glad you all survived. I live in Port Charlotte part time and decided long ago I will NEVER try to ride out a hurricane. Whats the point ? I have insurance and I could use a new roof anyway.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
duc96cr is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 12:38 pm
Senior Member
 
Iwannaduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfield , Nor Cal,
Posts: 799
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapp View Post
We got pretty lucky; lost three windows in the living room and master bedroom, no trees near our house. Damage from the windows and water coming in but nothing to make the house unlivable. Power came back on last night, so that was a pleasant surprise. Garage doors dented and banged up from a ton of shingles but both bikes survived just fine!
Glad you are okay and your house is not too bad off. I lived in Calloway when I lived there. When we evacuated for Opal, I looked around the apartment complex I lived in, and found the tallest tree there. I took a wag at what direction the wind would hit from and parked my car under that tree. When I returned a week later, tree still standing, car undamaged. Not 100 feet from the drive that lead into my apartment complex, trees down, a couple through houses, shingles and sheet metal everywhere. Odd how some places got whacked while others, mere yards away stood unscathed.

I worked about 5 minutes from Mexico Beach, but still on Tyndall.....the shop where I worked was destroyed inside. Storm surge ripped the roll up doors off, took everything on the windward side of the shop and piled it all up on the other. Tool boxes, paint lockers...jacks, jack stands....all of it. There was a water line about 6 ft up the walls. Anything bolted down was completely wrecked. Electric motors for compressors and lifts were filled with sea water. It was a mess. I was only back to work for a couple of weeks before I PCS'd out. I was kind of relieved as I didn't have to deal with the aftermath for long.

There was one other member here who also worked on the Navy base....have you heard from him or know if he's okay?.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Iwannaduc is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 4:04 pm
Member
 
theapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panama City, FL, USA
Posts: 85
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannaduc View Post
Glad you are okay and your house is not too bad off. I lived in Calloway when I lived there. When we evacuated for Opal, I looked around the apartment complex I lived in, and found the tallest tree there. I took a wag at what direction the wind would hit from and parked my car under that tree. When I returned a week later, tree still standing, car undamaged. Not 100 feet from the drive that lead into my apartment complex, trees down, a couple through houses, shingles and sheet metal everywhere. Odd how some places got whacked while others, mere yards away stood unscathed.

I worked about 5 minutes from Mexico Beach, but still on Tyndall.....the shop where I worked was destroyed inside. Storm surge ripped the roll up doors off, took everything on the windward side of the shop and piled it all up on the other. Tool boxes, paint lockers...jacks, jack stands....all of it. There was a water line about 6 ft up the walls. Anything bolted down was completely wrecked. Electric motors for compressors and lifts were filled with sea water. It was a mess. I was only back to work for a couple of weeks before I PCS'd out. I was kind of relieved as I didn't have to deal with the aftermath for long.

There was one other member here who also worked on the Navy base....have you heard from him or know if he's okay?.....sean
Haven't heard from the other navy base dude yet, hopefully he made it through fine!

I was around for Opal when I was in school; my parents house got flooded. Not a fun process there.

01 748
02 998R #460
theapp is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2018, 7:30 pm
Senior Member
 
Iwannaduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfield , Nor Cal,
Posts: 799
Garage
Hope things are going well for you guys....I was thinking I hadn't seen any further posts on this subject in the last week...but I've been at work and don't always see all the posts on this forum. I check in while I'm there, but I don't have a great deal of time to be online. Anyway, once again, I hope you guys are all doing okay and back in your houses....or very close to being so.......sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Iwannaduc is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2018, 8:35 pm
Member
 
theapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panama City, FL, USA
Posts: 85
Garage
I've been around; finally went back to work today for the first time since early October so that was kinda nice. Get back into a rhythm and get some normal stuff back. Our house is pretty much fine now, we removed all the wet drywall and insulation so we're rocking some rustic cabin bare stud look at the moment until we get new drywall and paint up but if you can live in your house here comfortably you're doing better than a ton of other folks here.

Hoping that the promises are true and Tyndall does rebuild because that would be pretty much the death of Panama City if they close up shop and move all that to other bases. Just have to see what happens.

01 748
02 998R #460
theapp is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2018, 8:31 am Thread Starter
Member
 
MTSBoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Panama City, FL, USA
Posts: 62
Garage
I'm here as well. Don't have service out at my place, so it requires a run into town to get on the interwebs. Being out on the east side of town (off John Pitts, past Harders Park), we were high and dry. But we caught the west side of the eye, and took the shifting high winds.
The house is coming along, and I'm being told that we will be back working in the Air Operations Center on Tyndall by 1 Jan. My understanding is that we will be one of the only units operating on Tyndall for a couple of years.
Attached is a picture of my house during the eye. You can see the eye wall behind my house (looking due west). My shed was tossed off it's foundation through the fence and into the woods. It was sitting on the fence, tipped back when it was all over. Inside looked like it went through the spin cycle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2015 Multistrada DVT S Touring
Former lovers; '09 Triumph SpeedIII, '03 Suzuki SV1000S, '02 SV650 (trackbike)
MTSBoom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
848 in a hurricane Failure Superbikes 7 Aug 31st, 2017 10:13 am

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome