Awesome affordable track timer GPS combo - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By forsythem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2018, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Awesome affordable track timer GPS combo

Just wanted to post my experiences with the Dual Electronics XGPS160 GPS unit and the Race Chrono Pro App.
I was really surprised at how awesome the App is. And the Dual Electronics XGPS160 is one of the more affordable high frequency GPS pucks which you will need for the precision.

The GPS puck is around $150.00 and the full App was 15.00 I think- not sure if there is a free version anymore.

I highly recommend trying this setup.
Visually it plots your path on the track and your line is color coded to show when you are accelerating, maintaining or decelerating. The track lines are extremely precise and it lays it out on a google view of the track. It automatically records lap times, and also splits provided that splits been marked for that track. If you have a solid mount for your phone it seems you can use the phone's accelerometers to track lean angle and g's as well if that's important.

I was able to compare the results to an integrated system that an instructor was using recently that cost hundreds more than this set up and it was spot on for timing.

It seems like it would be good for any kind of trip you may be on, but I only have experience with it at a track.
Anyway, I just wanted to throw it out there-- I was doing a lot of research on this before buying and decided to try this and was pleasantly surprised.

-Md
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2018, 10:47 am

Garage
This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electron.../dp/B00E65TNYE

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2018, 10:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
Yep that's the one. What I learned was that the 10xs per second update for the GPS device is crucial to accuracy, which this one has.
I think the iPhone on it's own updates 1 or 2xs per second. It can't keep up with track work....I tried. The readings were all over the place, hence the need for the external device

This is the phone app: https://racechrono.com

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2018, 2:31 am

Garage
the app has my track loaded onto it, that really helps with the gps locatation at speed.
My RaceChrono

Thanks!

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2018, 4:06 pm

I used RaceChrono years ago when I was racing, in combination with a real cheap (as in $30 AUD) 10Hz GPS receiver - definitely not good enough to use the default 1Hz receiver in most phones.

Supply and demand is a killer. When I purchased mine, you could pick from around a dozen devices with this spec around the same price, but a quick look around now shows that these things are at a premium.

RaceChrono is a great bit of kit.
Murrayduc likes this.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode