GPS Logger - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By mlukason

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Moderator in moderation

Garage
GPS Logger

While at the NEECM @Stick mentioned he and his ridding buddy were using a GPS logger app on their phones. When I got back I looked into one. Now Stick's will log your route and keep it on a website that family and friends can access and spy...i mean...check up on you. I didn't need that. What I need is a way to remember where the hell I've been. Often I ride down new roads and want to go back and visit. Problem is, by the time I get home, I've forgotten half of the roads and towns they were in. That's where myTracks comes in.

myTracks will log your route(s) in the background or on top of a map. Since I like my CoPilot app as a GPS to find locations, I run myTracks in the background. You can adjust the timing of the breadcrumbs left...from 1 second to days. When the ride is done, you can view your route on the map or you can download the .gpx or .kml file to your computer and see the route on your favorite mapping software or even GoogleMaps. Here's an example of a ride I did Sunday. It "recorded" the route every 2 seconds. I did the ride in three segments and each was a small file that hardly took up any space.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r2...y8&usp=sharing

I think this will come in handy in the future.
Stick likes this.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 7:04 pm

It's good if you travel alone, or group trips, like the one I was on. And it let's your family know (roughly) where UR at. My GF really liked the fact that she could click the link, and see where we were. Came in especially handy if there was spotty cell reception (when I could not speak w/ her at day's end).

so, FYI, the rider info for the app that "tracked" us out to the Rockies and back is:
https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=zelim

Click on Epic Ride 2 to see what was recorded. It did not capture accurate stuff out in the Rockies(Bad cell tower pings?) (But we had FUN out there!).

Hey, WTF, it was free also...

Stick -~~~- Need an adrenaline rush? Shove a DUC between your legs.
Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 7:05 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Looks like Google has discontinued development of MyTracks in 2016. But if it works, it works. I saw an article that mentions GeoTracker as a good replacement. I'm going to have to check them out. CoPilot doesn't make track files.

2005 ST3
2003 749s

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 7:17 pm

MikeL : Thanks for that share. I may use it too, as I love to find roads, but somtimes, can't recall WHICH F'n town it was in!

Not sure if myTracs is "live", as where Spotwalla is live, and your loved ones can track your progress (or demise).

Especially handy if you travel alone, and are getting older, as some of us may be...

Present DUCs: 2013 MTS1200S GT, 2003 ST4S, 2001 ST2, 1996 900 SS/CR, 1996 900 SS/SP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Oh, one more bit: ya gotta remember to ENABLE the app before you set about. My buddy, an Iron Butt repeater, was flawless to enable this thing every morning.

And if/when you disable it in the eve, the cute thing is the family can't track you to the titty bars where you might even enjoy your evenings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2018, 8:06 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Hmm. Looks like the current My Tracks isn't the Google version, but from some developer in China.

Geo Tracker is Russian. Found one from Germany called GPS Logger that's open source.

2005 ST3
2003 749s

Last edited by Yorik; Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:26 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:54 am

Been using SWConnect for Spotwalla for a while now. Really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2018, 9:28 am Thread Starter
Moderator in moderation

Garage
I should point out Iím using the myTracks from Dirk Strckling and not the same named app from China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:47 am
SeŮor Member

Thanks for the info on these apps. I just got back from a 1000 mile trip solo. My brother, daughter and I use the "find friends" app on our iPhones to stalk each other. The two of them could see where I was. Came in handy as I lost my phone along the way and my brother was able to take a screen shot of where it was on a map. My GF contacted a local mechanic whose shop was in the screen shot and he found my phone. On the return trip I got it back from him. With the apps you suggest, any of my family could see where I was at until I lost my phone, that is.

1996 900 SS/SP #C25
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode