Waze vs a GPS device - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Waze vs a GPS device

Itís not a issue on cost so much as a issue of practicality.
Some things like electronic devices we tend to over purchase, as in collecting them.

So thatís why Iím asking you guys for your opinion.

My use of a GPS device is not a mandatory issue, itís one of not missing the that turn at fork in the road when traveling in an area that is not known to to me.

And staying on track for a route that looks good.

Iím very familiar with GPS useage that are built in or handheld, and they work great. But the advancement in the technology leaps every few years. This in my opinion can lead to the lack of use of a product.

I have recently started to use the Waze app on occasion to see what it would be like.
Is anyone else using Waze for their road trips?

Iíve seen some of the Garmin GPS units and they look like a great device.
However, is the advantage of a GPS dedicated device that much better than the use of an app on a phone?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback guys, greatly appreciated.

Current whiplist:
MST/Pikes Pike----Transformer/Sky Hooked
1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine(Just sold)
DRZ 400 Tarded----Urban assault vehicle
Road King----------Date bike/Hangover bike
XT 225------------Grocery getter/Packie bike
RD 350------------Giant Killer
Past whiplist, I drink to them all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 8:30 am

Garage
I ride with a friend that regularly used Waze. It's sure is convenient in locating leo's! I personally do not have data on my mobile phone, so I rely on a Garmin for route directions. If I did have a data plan, I'd totally ditch the GPS and rely on phone. Sorry I'm not more help.

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator in moderation

Garage
I like having GPS available. Sometimes, you just have to be some where (like home). I've used dedicated Garmin GPS units but for the past 2 years use my iPhone with CoPilot. What's nice about CoPilot is that it downloads the map onto your phone so even if you don't have cell coverage, you still have a functioning navigator (it uses the GPS in the phone). I sprung for paying the 10 or 12 bucks to open the Bluetooth feature...connects nicely with my Sena.

I've never tried Waze...I know folks use that to find ways around snarled traffic during commutes.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 9:58 am

The problem I found with Waze was its offline ability --or lack thereof.

If you travel in more populated spots it won't be an issue, but I'm frequently in areas where I have no signal. The offline/cached feature is limited, and last I read only works on Android devices, so no offline option for iOS. And while you can cache maps for offline use, you obviously won't get real-time data like traffic info, etc. if that matters.

My other gripe (and this was some time ago, so maybe better now) was that I found myself discovering new roads frequently. While it was cool to map new roads, it was not helpful at all when I needed directions.

On a moto, you also have the challenges of waterproofing, screen visibility, and not being able to use the device with gloves on. Whereas a moto-specific GPS is more optimized for these.

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Having went through this exact decision over the last couple of months, let me share my experience.

I have a number of trip routes that I have built using routeyou.com. Years ago, I used to just print up instructions with LEFT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT etc and put it in a clear map pocket on my tank bag. Worked great for what I needed at the time. With the advancements in technology, I decided to revisit my approach and started with the TomTom GO app on my phone. Built my GPS route, downloaded as a GPX file and uplaoded to the TomTom MyDrive online which then syncs to the app on your phone. It worked great and as long as your way points were far enough apart it did a decent job re-routing you if you decided to take a different turn than originally planned.

I used that setup for a couple of months and was very happy with it until I bought my Sena Bluetooth headset. The problem with the setup was anytime you asked Pandora to play some music, the phone switched out of TomTom Go app and over to the Google Assistant to launch Pandora. And there was no way to go back to TomTom or Waze.

So, after some research, I bought a Garmin Zumo 395. The benefit of this setup is I can set my phone for playing music and have the dedicated GPS unit. Sometimes I turn on the voice prompts and sometimes I turn them off because they do interrupt the music and to be honest, I just need the map with the route. I just got back from a 180 mile trip with a couple buddies and it worked flawlessly. We had group intercom going all day and I was able to follow my pre-planned route. We even got off the route twice and the Garmin just routed us to the next waypoint. I think the secret is to minimize your waypoints.

And here is another great tip. Before you head out open up the Waze app on your phone and it will come over the top of your music and tell you a cop is up ahead. Even though you can't see it since you stash it away and use your GPS instead, Waze will still run in the background if you have cell service.

So, that is my .02 cents. While the Garmin units don't get great reviews, my 395 did exactly what I needed it to do.

Ryan - Apollo Beach, FL
2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Garage
I think most use a good gps app on their phone these days, lots of choices. I like NavMii myself, it downloads the maps to your phone so it works without any connectivity. No problems for those areas that donít have cellular access. I use mine via Bluetooth with my music playing as well and you can adjust the voice prompts to your liking. The only interruption I hear is a single chime when the speed limit changes or I go over.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Well I think I have come to a conclusion about this.
$500/$700 GPS unit, looks great. However if I was to be taking a trip for a week or more, without a doubt I would get one.

But for the few trips this season, 2/3 day trips Iím going old school, as I have done for so many miles.

Paper map
Dry erase on the tank for route numbers and direction

Both aided by Waze.

Current whiplist:
MST/Pikes Pike----Transformer/Sky Hooked
1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine(Just sold)
DRZ 400 Tarded----Urban assault vehicle
Road King----------Date bike/Hangover bike
XT 225------------Grocery getter/Packie bike
RD 350------------Giant Killer
Past whiplist, I drink to them all!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 8:18 pm

It sounds like you have made your decision but I thought I would chime in. For work, which I travel a lot in unfamiliar areas I always have my (work provided) GPS on basically to use as a live map. While traveling for personal stuff I use Waze to route me around traffic and give me a heads up for police. I recently ran across an APP called Scenic which is geared for motorcyclists. While I haven't had a chance to use it much yet it has features to upload your own route, create your own route through way points loaded into the map while you ride, and other users uploaded trips. From what I can tell with the free version it can load a limited number of maps/routes for limited cell service areas with the paid version having an unlimited amount. While I have only played with it a little bit and haven't yet used it on a trip; there is a feature that say you are at stop you can search routes in that area and it will highlight them starting wherever you are located. I have played with this at my house to search for short curvy trips near my house to take my daughter on our weekend rides. They are usually only 30-50 miles round trip but it helps me come up with new little rides that I haven't thought of so she doesn't get bored with the same old scenery.

2001 M900Sie - Mine - 2006 Buell Blast - Wife's - 1971 Yamaha R5-350 - Work in progress - 1971 Yamaha R5 - Waiting to be a work in progress
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2018, 10:33 am

I use waze all the time as my primary navigation aid as it also gives heads up for leo's and other road obstacles. On my bike, I don't use a screen. I have spotify playing music and waze going for route and waze voice overrides the music when it's time to make a turn or there is police ahead, etc. It will reroute if their is a faster option en route.

But as context, i don't tour on my bike. If I was constantly on unknown roads, I could definitely see the benefit for having a screen as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in