T-bills goes west again - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2018, 4:16 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

T-bills goes west again

I'm heading out on a 3 week ride on 6/2 to Colorado and Utah. If anybody wants to follow my progress, I'm taking a spot tracker with me. It will drop pins every 10 minutes while I have it on. The site is:
https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...ZfBlCTkqgR8SJQ

I'll write up the trip when I get back.
scott likes this.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2018, 6:25 pm
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Don't you have donuts to eat and buttons to push?

2005 ST3
2003 749s
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2018, 6:30 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorik View Post
Don't you have donuts to eat and buttons to push?

If you’re riding your KTM TAKE a spare fuel filter set or take plenty of matches. Trying to cook lizards with a led flashlight sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2018, 11:27 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

I'll have my cook stove with me, but if I have the troubles you did, I'll light the KTM on fire. The fuel filter has about 3000 miles on it so hopefully it won't be troublesome. Have I mentioned I miss my Multistrada?

Thomas Williams
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2018, 7:17 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

I made it home today. 23 days and about 7500 miles. Lots of good stuff. I'll start writing up the ride report.
scott, Chuckracer, DuckMan and 3 others like this.

Thomas Williams
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2018, 9:13 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 1

Day 1

Today's route:
https://goo.gl/maps/oifqYepVPp52

I'm all packed up and ready to go.

Today is lots of interstate. Reasonable weather starting off. I make it to Jackson, TN for lunch. Afterwards, it heats up. It was about 95F for 250 miles. As I approached the Ozarks, the temperature broke. It steadily dropped until it was about 75F. About 15 miles into the fun, twisty roads, it turned damp. I'm crossing the Ozarks on highway 16. The hills were pretty with low slung clouds amongst them. The Ozarks are great. They are tightly packed rolling hills. You never get a full view- only peeks through the trees. The last 70 miles end up in the rain, often pouring. I haven't ridden in rain this severe in a while. I tried to wait out the storm at a church about 30 minutes from the day's destination.

The skies cleared up a bit so I remounted in hopes of drying out during the last bit. No luck. I end up riding into a nasty cell and it poured all the way to camp. I rode by the campsite seeking dryness. A mile down the road it quite raining. I doubled back to the campsite after a few minutes hoping it had cleared.

It had stopped raining until I start setting up my tent. The skies opened again soaking my gear. I guess this weather is supposed to offset the heat from earlier. It turns out this campground no longer in use as indicated by a sign. I've already set up my tent and its getting late so I decide to stay here anyway. I figure if a park ranger comes by, I can play dumb since the sign is not obvious. I get to sleep only to be woken a few hours later by someone driving in the campground. Not fully awake and competent, it sounds like a vehicle is right by me. Given it continues to pour rain, I'm not eager to pop my head out to find out what is going on.

605 miles, 9:26 seat time
scott, Chuckracer, DuckMan and 1 others like this.

Thomas Williams

Last edited by t-bills; Jun 26th, 2018 at 5:52 am.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2018, 8:30 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 2

Today's route:
https://goo.gl/maps/qQdvGpvRU3w

The rain has stopped and the sun is out. Turns out the person that showed up last night is also on a motorcycle. No sign of the rider prior to my departure. Coffee and breakfast while I try to dry out my stuff.

I put on some wet clothes so that they will dry out while riding instead of packing them wet. Once moving, I'm reminded why I picked this route. The Ozarks are pretty with their deep green rolling hills. Highway 16 rolls along for miles with nice corners. Sightlines aren't great, so you can't really push too hard in the corners, but still enough to have fun. It is a nice way to start a day. I roll into Fayetteville, AR and stop for gas. This is a surprisingly progressive town. Art deco homes and such. Quite the contrast from the rusting trailers a few miles out of town. I hit Oklahoma and find the one road worth riding! Highway 62 has a short stretch of amazing corners. It is obvious the local law enforcement are aware of the attraction to ride them. The super duke cuts up this road and asks for more. Then starts the grind. I roll into Tulsa to a coffee shop I visited 15 years ago. The owner is a friend of a friend. I catch them at closing, so enjoy some coffee outside. Back to the grind. My GPS indicates 190 miles until my next turn. Thanks, Oklahoma.

I get to know the plains quite well. Hours of wheat. Oil pumps among the wheat. Then the wind turbines. Hundreds. The plains look dead, yet they power the country.

Tacos and ice cream make up my diet for the day. Don't judge. I'm on vacation. Along the way, Garmin decides to provide me with this minor amusement.

I land at Beaver Dunes for the night. I have stayed here before. The campground is small and calm. One other tent camper and he is on a KLR.

I set up camp and get greeted by a local. He reminds me of the stories of these dunes. I had forgotten they are special. A UFO crashed here and is under the dunes. This local has seen gren lights over the dunes at night. Upon further investigation of the lights, he discovered there were federal agents (MIB as he called them). He quickly left not wanting shot. He informs me that he could disarm these agents, but there were too many of them. He also wants me to know that while he voted for Trump, he is not a supporter. Funny conversation. Back home, you stick to amicable topics. I eventually break free from this man who has never met a stranger.

I hike up the dunes. Sand. Oof. I'm quickly reminded why I don't care for it. Damn near impossible to walk in and it gets everywhere. On the other hand, I'm glad I hiked up the dunes. Seeing the anomaly of sand dunes amidst miles and miles of plains is interesting.

No green lights for me.

553 miles, 8:57 seat time
scott, Chuckracer, DuckMan and 1 others like this.

Thomas Williams
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2018, 6:33 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 3

Today's route:
https://goo.gl/maps/RTLysdQXTbR2

I survived the night in the sand dunes without being abducted. Back on the road and ready to move on out of Oklahoma. I stop at Black Mesa State Park. Its a nice introduction to the mesas as you leave the plains. There is a (small) petrified forest.

A brief hike along a trail. Quite a change from TN.

Back to the road. I enter New Mexico on SR 456. This might be my favorite road. Its at least in the top 5. The road really starts back in Boise City, OK in the plains. You roll into the mesas. The mesas become larger and larger as you follow the bottom of the Dry Cimarron Canyon. The road turns to dirt for about 20 miles. It is open range. Nobody is out here. I don't see a single vehicle on this road.

Where I came from.

Where I'm going.

In Folsom, I turn onto 72 to continue this awesome stretch. The road surface is pretty bad, and that's ok. The road pitches up and climbs up a tall mesa to about 9000'. Once on top, you see snow capped mountains in the distance. Behind, you can see plains for many miles. Welcome to the west.

I drop into Raton and have lunch. I hop on to the interstate and run into Colorado. At Colorado City, I pop off to run up and over 165. The road climbs up to about 10,000'. Typical Rockies with Pinyon Pines and Aspens. A few small lakes. As I start to drop down the back side, I approach an area with a bunch of cars parked on the side of the road. I figure it is another trailhead. As I pass through, I look to my left and see a castle. WTF??? I double back and stop to check out the castle.
scott and Chuckracer like this.

Thomas Williams
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2018, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

This is Bishop Castle. Mr. Bishop has built it all by himself.

As I enter, I notice hand painted signs everywhere. Mr. Bishop seems to be quite concerned with the government. I believe he is a "sovereign citizen." I meet Mr. Bishop and then walk all through the castle. The craftsmanship is amazing. The structural integrity is questionable at best. The metal walkways flex substantially when you step out on them.

I climb up towards the top. A nice view! But the walkways are too much for me.

Back on the road, I drop down on the mountain. This is a wonderful road with mostly wide sweepers. If in the area, give it a go. I roll on into Cheyenne Mountain State Park where I am staying for the night. Its an odd feeling being on top of NORAD. I go hiking around on some of the trails to stretch my legs.

A nice day seeing so many different environments.

437 miles, 7:13 seat time
scott, Chuckracer, DuckMan and 3 others like this.

Thomas Williams
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Digging it T-bills! I was in CO at about that time, even buzzed though Raton.
Keep 'em coming....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode