T-bills goes west again - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2018, 4:49 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 7

Today's route:
https://goo.gl/maps/V2YTkAZP9RL2

Cold morning- around 30F. Soon as the sun comes up, it spikes to 70F. I start off the morning going to a guided tour into a cliff dwelling. It involves a bit of a ride along the top of the mesa to get there. Along the way I stop and look at some other dwellings. These people were crazy!

On the tour, we climb down a cliff face and enter the remains of a dwelling. Some of this was rebuilt by NPS.

I can't imagine what it would be like to live here. The environment is so harsh. The sun is as relentless as the lack of it. The only water source is a crack in the rock that weeps. The rooms are built right to the edge with a hallway behind everything.

The things people will do for a view:

Once done with Mesa Verde, I hit the road for Moab. Its hot and windy. At least it isn't a terribly long ride. As I near Moab, I come across Wilson's Arch. Its a doozy. Its a nice way to be welcomed into the area.

The last bit into Moab turns into a suckfest. Traffic is stopped. I've been over 7000' for the past several days. I drop down to 4000' and the heat is miserable. The bike indicates 101F. I roast on the road for a while and we finally get moving. Road construction has us movingly slowly for the rest of the way in. I make my way into Moab and find a campground. Its a privately owned campground with all of the regular crap. Once I get set up, I head to the Arches. I decide to do a rare thing and squid it up. I leave the Roadcrafter behind. Its just too damn hot and I'm going to be traveling at bicycle speeds.

Upon entering Arches, I'm greeted by some amazing rock formations. This is a humbling place. Their magnitude alone blows me away. What nature has done to these rocks is a show of force.

I take a hike down through a wash. The place doesn't even feel real. At the same time, it feels like the place might kill me with no remorse.
scott likes this.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2018, 4:54 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Petrified sand dunes with Mt. Waas in the distance. I am confused how sand dunes become petrified. Still am.

More fun features.

I have a nice chat with a lady at an overlook. We swap stories of where we have been and where we are going. A fun person to talk to. The attraction is obvious. But if her appearance doesn't give away that she is crazy, the fact that she approached me does. I decide to use better judgement and not pursue. (I'm trying to get smarter)

Early in 2017, a friend recommended I read Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey. It is about his time in this area as a park ranger in the mid 1950s. He frequently gripes that the area is being ruined by people. The area has become too easily accessible. I understand. Arches is full of people. At no point since entering the park have I gone without being able to see people. Lots and lots of people. While I wish there weren't near as many people here, I hardly have room to complain seeing as I am just as guilty as everyone else. Today, I stumbled across this article about how reservations to enter the park may become necessary:
https://gearjunkie.com/arches-nation...servation-plan

Tired and hungry, I head in to Moab for dinner. The town is not my sort of place. Its like a blend of Gatlinburg and Jackson Hole. All of the business are the same tourist trap. Nothing personal about the town. I find a place to eat. The food is fine, but nothing special. The service is as expected in a tourist town- non-existent. Back to camp for a shower and bed. Its still hot.

206 miles, 4:27 seat time
scott likes this.

Thomas Williams
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 1:30 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 8

No real route or riding for the day. Just going through parks.

The sun and heat get me started early. I'm at Arches by 7:00. I start off by going to Delicate Arch. Its a short hike. The arch is a bit underwhelming. Neat, but covered in people.

The surrounding area is unforgiving and beautiful.

On to Landscape Arch and Double O Arch. Landscape Arch is the flagship arch of the park.

The trail between Landscape and Double O takes you along a rock spine. Fun stuff. I'm surprised by how the trails aren't more idiotproof. It would be fairly easy to get seriously injured. I appreciate the lack of nanny-state. At one point on the trail, I am by myself. I can't see another person. It only lasts ~45 seconds, but is nice.

On the hike back, I bump into hippie chick again. Another nice chat. I finish up with Arches and head into town for lunch and coffee while the sun bakes down. Its so hot. ~100F again. Off to Canyonlands. Its a bit of a ride to get there- at least an hour. Fortunately, it sits a bit higher. Only around 90F. I start off with going to Mesa Arch. Another arch with lots of people standing in front of it so they can have their picture taken. Eventually there is a break in people and I approach the arch. Turns out, its not just another arch. Its a window into the canyons! This is my first view of the canyons.
scott and Varmitcong like this.

Thomas Williams

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 1:30 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

I have found what I was looking for in this trip at Canyonlands. This is the last of the big three parks that I based this trip on. This is by far my favorite. Vast expanses of nothing in the best way possible. Views the won't end.

The hike to grand view point was the highlight of the trip. The end result is a 330 degree view.

I finish up at the northern half of Canyonlands and go to town for dinner. I found a wonderful pho place downtown. I bump into my neighbors from Mesa Verde while walking down the sidewalk. It really is a small world sometimes.

158 miles, 3:51 seat time
scott, Varmitcong and nzdave like this.

Thomas Williams
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 10:55 am Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 9

Today's route: https://goo.gl/maps/csDtTtKfpz92

Its a hot start to the morning. I'm up at 5 AM and its still 80F. I pack up and roll out as quickly as I can. I make it to the southern part of Canyonlands. This portions puts you at a lower elevation. I'm not quite in the bottom of the canyons, but close. I start off by checking out an old cowboy home tucked under a rock. These people were tough. The heat is relentless. Water is hardly existent without a long haul to the river. This land was not meant to have life.

I take a few more hikes through the lower part of Canyonlands. I take a nice loop with a bunch of overlooks. It is fun being down in the canyons looking up at where I was the previous day. The trails are not well marked as I wonder around. The final view takes me to a nice 360 view.

I come back from hiking to find I have a new friend. This raven is trying to steal my stuff. Its fun seeing this guy after reading Abbey talk about the ravens. They are inquisitive little shits.

Time to leave Canyonlands and head to Capitol Reef. On my way out, I barely escape a ticket. A park ranger lights me up along with another car. Fortunately, they didn't stop and drew the attention of the rangers. I ride down through Glen Canyon. on my way to Capitol Reef. The Colorado River has made a huge impact on this area.

Its so hot. I stop at a gas station and meet a couple on a trip from New Hampshire. They are on cruisers of some sort. We are heading the same way for a few days. I work my way on Hwy 12 through Capitol Reef. I forgot how amazing this place is. The road follows the creek winding along. Unfortunately, the campground at the park is full. I make my way on to Torrey and find a private campground with a spot open. The view is hard to argue with. I'm surrounded by cattle with mountains right behind the range.

The wind is constant at ~30 mph. The temperature drops quickly as the sun sets. I talk to a guy on a Harley camping a few sites down from me. He is on his way back from a 2 week trip. His Harley is pristine. How it is this clean after nearly 2 weeks of riding is beyond me. Then I find out it has 106k miles. It doesn't leak oil anywhere. It looks as good as the day it rolled off the showroom floor. I'm impressed. The couple from the gas station rolls in and stays in the cabin. They met the Harley guy earlier in the day. Small world sometimes.

337 miles, 5:38 seat time

Thomas Williams

Last edited by t-bills; Aug 4th, 2018 at 12:42 pm.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 1:18 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 10

Today's route:
https://goo.gl/maps/UfA7gzrQYoL2

Back to the heart of Capitol Reef. While the road along the river is beautiful, the washes are where I spend my time. This place is a sanctuary for me. It is much less busy than most other parks in the state. I find peace of mind here like few other places. The rock formations and colors are relaxing while impressive.

A quick stop in the bakery and I get a loaf of bread and cinnamon roll.

While hiking, I come across a cave with radioactive bats in an old uranium mine.

I hike through two of the large washes. I barely see anybody. Life is wonderful.

Thomas Williams
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 1:18 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Finished up at Capitol Reef, I head for Bryce Canyon. This involve a ride along the famous Hwy 12. The scenery is constantly changing. I go over a mountain pass with a wonderful view of Capitol Reef on one side and Grand Staircase on the other.

The road goes through Grand Staircase. At one point, the road rides along the top of a ridge.

A look at where I came from:

I make it to Bryce and set up camp. Time to do some hiking down into the canyon. The hikes down into the amphitheater are tough. The grades are very steep. A 3 mile hike drops and then climbs back up ~1000'.

Thomas Williams
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 1:18 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Its fun looking back on Grand Staircase. While in the middle of it, the name doesn't make sense. From afar, everything is clear.

More awesomeness.

166 miles, 4:09 seat time
Thoroughly exhausted, I call it a night.

Thomas Williams
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2018, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Sophomore Member

Day 11

No real riding. The entire day is to be spent at Bryce Canyon.I start out the morning with a hike to hat top. The trail drops from the ridge down into the southern portion of the cathedral.

While the trail isn't that far of a hike (6 miles total), it is one hell of a workout. The trail drops 1500' and then climbs right back up. The trail brings peace in solitude. For the majority of the trail, I don't see anyone. Bryce is a very busy park, but there are these nice places one can escape to. The hat top point are a bunch of short, squatty hoodoos. I ask myself the inevitable question of how long until some of these rocks fall.

After this hike, I break for lunch. A quick bite at the lodge gets me recharged. Then on to hit all of the overlooks on the rim. Bryce never disappoints.

At the end of the road, I take a nap at one of the overlooks. I wake up to realize I'm burnt up. Oops.

I run into town to stock up on supplies. Upon returning, I see I have some new neighbors at camp. Its the couple I met 2 days ago and then saw again at Capitol Reef. Of the several hundred camp sites, they are camping right next to me. I take one last hike on the rim near sunset.

I eat dinner with the couple camping by me. We get to know each other pretty well sharing our life stories. Thoroughly exhausted, I call it a day.
BigRed likes this.

Thomas Williams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode