Blue Ridge Parkway good or no? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2017, 4:06 am Thread Starter

Blue Ridge Parkway good or no?

Hi gang, so I'm about to head off on a tour of the south/south east. And while researching roads I've seen a lot of favorable trip reports on taking the BRP from VA to NC. My question is that the road reports I've found elsewhere on line are largely from a community of Cruiser-centric riders that seem to enjoy the 45mph speed limit. While I'm in no means looking for a track day tempo, I'm also not planning on 400 miles of snails pace meandering. If any of you are familiar with the BRP from say, Wytheville VA to Asheville NC I'd love to hear your perspective on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2017, 4:51 am

In my opinion weather your in a cage or on a bike the blue ridge parkway is worth the ride
Buhgaboo and wineguy like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2017, 4:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer162 View Post
In my opinion weather your in a cage or on a bike the blue ridge parkway is worth the ride
Good to hear, thanks!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2017, 6:57 am

Garage
BRP is a very nice ride. Beware of snow at highest elevation and "Leafers" in the fall.

t_bare
wineguy likes this.

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2 Ducatis = Mechanic

2013 Multistrada GT Touring Grey
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
2002 Ducati 998 Faster Banana!!!
2000 KTM 300 EXC
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Garage
BRP is definitely a must if you've never ridden it before... the 45mph limit is not a huge issue (unless you're a rider who's always got to be balls out) though it does make the ride about the views rather than the road. We find that after a couple hours we get bored... but if you're willing to take some side roads, there are a LOT of fun roads climbing up to the BRP... so we'll loaf along with the crusiers for a while then take one of the access roads down and back up (or sometimes down and then up a few miles further on). Those roads wake us up and let us have some fun as we work our way south or north.

It's not a road for anyone who's in a hurry... so give yourself lots of time.
wineguy likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2017, 11:23 pm

Garage
BRP was a slo-mo cage parade when I rode it decades back. did the whole length, and it was beautiful. but slow. If you prefer a proper pace, get some time in down the canyon roads off the mountain and find some great local villages, awesome smoked ham and a breakfast of brains & eggs. Not that brave, I stuck with the eggs, grits, smoked ham, biscuits and gravy.

-bucky
2011 1198 - 2001 996 mono - 2002 ST4s ti - 2003 R1150RT
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2017, 7:30 am

Garage
I highly recommend. Did a section a couple of weeks ago.
Start early in the morning and traffic and speed limits are less of an issue. Plenty of opportunities to make safe passing also.
Some really good feeder roads to explore.

Do it!
wineguy likes this.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2017, 11:26 am

Garage
Blue Ridge Parkway good or no?

Moonshiner 29 can also be a fair pace

It starts at the store near the border of NC and Tenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Monster 1200S
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2017, 11:50 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
Do you mean 28? All the way from Deals Gap to Franklin is one of my favorites.

I've ridden the BRP from Front Royal all the way to Deals Gap twice now. One time was incredible all the way. No traffic or cops. The other was during Memorial Day weekend and it sucked. It's a fantastic ride but you need to pick when doing it to avoid holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Buhgaboo likes this.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2017, 12:58 pm

When and where are important.

Traffic will lessen your good time, so avoid when you can. Weekdays are better. Try to avoid the more popular areas during peak usage times. This past Saturday, I went for a picnic at the 295.9 and it was quite crowded because all of the many attractions that are packed into that one area. This can be problematic for riders because there are a lot of people not giving the best attention to the road and many drivers turning around. That said, we walked 10 minutes up an old road and felt like we were totally isolated.

Sound planning will pay off in the long run. Some riders just like to ride. Others like to stop at some of the places and explore. If you like to do that sort of thing, I suggest that you learn about the best spots and plan around them. You will ride right by the best things to see if you don't plan ahead for them. There are few signs to tip you off.

Off parkway rides, at least in my area, are awesome and just a short distance from the route. Extremely rewarding. If you want more info, just ask.

Best wishes for a good ride.
[IMG][/IMG]

IMO, the best stretch of riding is from Asheville to Cherokee.
ncgt1000 and wineguy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode