Ducati 916 - Prudhoe Bay, Deadhorse - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 10:02 pm

Garage
I had to read that twice to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. That's impressive as all hell. I know people who've done that ride. From what they've told me, I'd never in a million years consider doing it on a sport bike, much less a 916. Bad freakin' ass. Big time props to you for doing it.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 9:06 am
Hammer Down

Garage
Hell yeah, you don't need no stinking Gelände Sport...mad props.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2017, 7:12 am
Prolific Poster Award

Amazing! Where can we find full ride report?

a motorcycle with 2 wheels

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:13 am
Prolific Poster Award

My friend Steph recently attempted the Dalton, didn't end too well with her injured and bike stranded in AK, but she did cover 62,000 miles in 3 years on a VESPA! Currently collecting funds to get her bike shipped home while healing broken bones.

http://250superhero.com

https://www.gofundme.com/serenity-return-and-repair

a motorcycle with 2 wheels
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:39 am
Site Sponsor

Impressive ride, I must say. I owned 2 916's. To be able to ride that far on crappy roads?......just amazing. Your back must be mega strong.

Mike
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2017, 1:12 am Thread Starter

I am not a blogger or vblogger much less so there isnt a full ride report like other riders who rode there and blog/vblog it.

I actually watched a couple of them prior to my trip as planning and prep. I kept watching the weather forecast for the days I believe I would ride up and possibly arrived at Prudhoe Bay.

I knew if there was any chance of rain/snow during those days I would have to cancel that section of the trip. Little did I know I would eventually pick up sooo much mud on the Dalton.

Mechanical issues:
Let's see. Well, on the Prudhoe Bay section. I got mud ALL over the radiator and oil cooler and brake caliper and fairings and exhaust,etc. You seen the picture, haha. So just about the entire run to and back from Prudhoe the Duc was running at near max temp. For some reason, it stayed around the 225 mark.
When we finally made it back to Fairbanks, come to find out I was probably down 3/4 on coolant and I also had a broken gasket on the coolant expansion cap. Luckily the bike never just gave up running that hot during Prudhoe.
I am sorry to say I knew the gasket was already bad before I left for the trip and had order the unit before leaving. I was that determined to go on this trip that started with a bad cap. I had it shipped to my brother who had it shipped to me in Fairbanks :P.

Oh. Another mechanical issue which was not entirely my fault but who knows, maybe I pissed someone off, some was jealous, I dont know. The morning I was to check out from Whitehorse, I go out the bike to start it up and noticed some thing odd. There were some fluid along the top of the right air runner and signal light, and 3 of my dzus fasteners were on the ground.

Lo and behold, some ass wipe took the hose from the brake master cylinder and reservoir. I didnt know how to describe the feeling at that time. Thought my trip was over. There was a Toyota dealer across the street from the hotel. I walked over and attempted to ask if they had the part.

I think my mistake was to say someone stole my brake line off my bike. They thought it was the line from the brake master to the caliper so they didnt have anything. A few blocks away, there was a Napa. I made the same mistake and said brake line. Guy was helpful and tried his best but couldnt find anything. I got directed to a local motorcycle shop.

I had to ride my gf ninja to get there while she waited back at the hotel and watched over the Duc. Made the same mistake and said brake line. After he tried to show me anything close that might work, I realized that I needed to clarifiy. Stupid me. Should have been more clear from the beginning.

There was another guy at the same shop and he was more knowledgeable and THANK GOD they had a hose that worked. They didnt have brake fluid for some reason though. Bought the hose, put it back on bike, quick bleeding and was back in business even though it was somewhat low on fluid, it was enough to allow good solid braking.
Ducati 916 - Prudhoe Bay, Deadhorse-19477472_1737401532955195_7626427388889656260_o.jpg

During the Prudhoe section though, I had to pump it a few times before it was braking solid for some reason. Scared myself as I thought it was really running low on fluid. It was not fun to grab the brakes and feel it all mushy till I pumped it while riding in gravel and mud road. Made it to Prudhoe and their general store had brake fluid to top off.

One other issue I had was vapor lock. It was after coming back from Prudhoe and stopping off at the Yukon River Camp for gas and some food. Came out and was ready to roll back into Fairbanks. The bike started, idled just a bit and died. Tried to start a few more times but it wouldnt run. It was one of those "Oh Shit, what could be wrong now" moment.

I took apart the bike, checked/swapped fuel pump relay, checked any loose timing pickup sensor connection(had this happen to me once), all fuses, check air filter for any clogs,etc. Luckily my gf was there to say "Maybe vapor lock"? Light bulb went off in my head and facepalm too. Yes, I had vapor lock issue once at the gate to Pikes Peak but that's another story.
Put bike back together and it must have been an hour or more already, so went to fire the bike back up and it started :P.

Sore and Aches:
My back was not too bad. Definitely sore but not to the point of not been able to get up or stand straight :P I guess I have gotten accustomed to riding it on long trips plus the more frequent gas break and standing up on the bike during the ride to stretch the legs and back muscle helps.
I cant stand up like the touring bikes but enough to stretch out while still having my hands on the bars. The bike has Sargent seat and Heli bars which helps.
I made the mistake of putting on superbike grips ( I dont know what I was thinking). Most of the trip, it was my right hand and wrist which was sore the most. It would be numb and tingling at times so had to get off throttle every so often to get blood flowing.

I will try to post a little bit more about the trip but as you can tell I'm not a blogger or good writer. No Shakespeare here. haha.

Thanks for reading and the support. This was an adventure and I believe the more obstacles that are overcomed during the trip makes it more memorable. :P

I will post more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19702549_10154832760261267_1669074775111069793_n.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	841442   Click image for larger version

Name:	19510618_10154812222976267_8499550084963629729_n.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	841450  
scott, HyperJB and T.M. Roe like this.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2017, 10:43 am
Administrator

Garage
Do you think they were just vandalizing or that they actually wanted to steal parts from your bike?

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2017, 11:48 am Thread Starter

I have no clue what they wanted. I am just glad they didnt take the fairings or something else. All they took was that flexible hose from the reservoir.

Surprisingly they did leave the dzuz fasteners on the ground so that I didnt have to ziptie the fairings.

Also lucky it was Friday and those shops I went were open.

At that local motorcycle shop in Whitehorse, I ran into (2) guys with Suzuki V-Strom coming up all the way from Florida. They were in the shop to try to get a bolt/nut cause they broke it while attempting to adjust their chain.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2017, 12:25 pm

Mad props!
You are a Stud!
(you should marry that GF of yours).

Tom
Sophia, 2001 ST4 (Ohlins, Race Tech, Cycle Cat, Russell, etc).
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2017, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Mechanical Issue

Another "mechanical issue" I had on the trip which once again was my fault and not the bike at all.

Had changed the stock gas cap for the quick release version for the longest time. One gas stop at Whitehorse (maybe its cursed :P), take off the quick release and placed it on top of the gas pump and when I finished forgot to put back the quick release.

I had a Kreiga back which I strapped to the tank so I didnt see my mistake of leaving the quick release at the gas station in Whitehorse until we were about 2 hours out at gas stop on the way to Dawson.

It was an "oh, shit" moment again. Couldnt go back and hope it would be there plus it would add another 4 hours just to go back and check.

SO this is what I came up with. LOL.

When I was able to get to a hotel with decent internet, placed an order for replacement and expediated to the hotel in Fairbanks but it would only arrive after I came back from Prudhoe Bay.

Ahh, these are the stories that will remain forever as part of the adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3796457674_c773847dda_o-2[1].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	841570   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmexport1501091796872.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	841578  
scott likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode