What Do You Pack When You Tour? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke900ssd View Post
Just about to pick a 999s from Indianapolis and ride it back to LA. Dont even know which way to go yet. Been downloading maps but too much choice. Want to stay off freeways. Any tips
Len
West to SF area via lake tahoe - Start down the 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge then take PCH all the way to LA. This section of the Pacific Coast Highway is unforgettable.

BTW - 101 and PCH are one and the same in many places but split apart for small towns etc.

Also take a detour for Solvang when you get near there - it's worth a look to see a Denmark-esque town in Central California.

And if you've really got extra time start in Eureka and check out the Avenue of the Giants.

Keith Lindsey
'01 ST4 w/ST4S Engine

My times on two wheels have been some of the happiest of my life.

Last edited by klindsey; Aug 12th, 2010 at 1:10 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2010, 2:22 am

I tour on my Sprint ST and usually am out for a month or two, camping.

my list:

backpacking tent,sleeping bag, small air mattress,compact electric tire pump w/adaptor
nerd light (aka white and red LED headlamp with flashing function for emergency road use)
GPS, cel phone, mobile charger
REV-it Cayenne pro suit, so no need for a rainsuit
electric vest for high altitude, warm and cool weather gloves
sunglasses, sunblock, earplugs

spare quart oil, chain lube, clip-style master link, spare clutch cable, spare headlight and stoplight bulbs, tire plug kit (automotive rope-style), spare set of keys for the bike -can't stress that enough - small tube of PC7 putty-style epoxy, several zip ties, small roll electrical tape, small roll safety wire, 3" square of medium grit emery cloth, 3" square of aluminum foil, pair quality disposable latex gloves, film can of pumiced fast orange hand cleaner

tools: common allen bits for the bike, mini vice grips (the real ones, not the cheap imitations), usual stock tool kit, quality long handle 1/4" rachet and selected small sockets, one single edge razor blade

The epoxy putty, sandpaper, safety wire, electrical tape and mini vice grips are handy if you drop your bike in the middle of nowhere and tear off a hard bag, snap off the footpeg and shifter and hole your engine cover, like I did. You straighten the bag brackets with the vice grips, swap the passenger peg to the driver location and wire in place, clamp the vice grips onto the shift shaft and wire shut so you can shift again, then sand the hole in the engine case and epoxy so the oil stays in the engine. Then ride the bike so repaired from the end of the PCH to Olympia, WA. where parts are available & more permanent repairs can be made.
RustyHalverson likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 2:49 am
smo

Just a whole lot of crystal, a .45 and my health insurance card

--
2011 SF : DoubleDogMoto134dd Full System, CRG Levers and Mirrors, DP Carbon Fender and Hugger, Frame Stickers, Evotech Tail Tidy, Sans Passenger Footrests
--

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 3:06 am
Bly

Tyre repair kit, toothbrush, hat, sunscreen, t shirt/undies, wallet, weed and phone. Also a roll of duct tape and as many tools as I have room for.

Multistrada 1100, sans fairing.
Black SFS.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 7:32 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Depends on whether I'm taking the SS1000DS (highly likely) or the 998 Bayliss. But, in either case, it starts with: tools, tent, thermarest pad, sleeping bag, safety wire & pliers,....from there it's whatever I think I need for that trip specifically.

bruce19
'01 Monster S4
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:18 pm

Yeah.. You need very much CASH and CREDIT CARDS.. In cases of all cases.. In your Sleep wherever, well food and drinks, also a bottle opener for the beers!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2015, 6:24 pm
Never Grow Up

Garage
Not yet mentioned...

-Minimalist first aid kit to include codeine (ask your Dr for a half dozen for your emergency kit or buy over the counter in a Canada)) and superglue. For cuts, it's the best.
- 1' of Duc (sic) tape rolled onto an ink pen for misc repairs.
-sena smh10
- lightening juicepack for charging the phone, iPad, Sena or even jumps starting the bike
- orange pledge and micro fiber cloth to wipe down the windshield and my helmet/ lens at gas stops. I'll usually hit the fairing too cause it's so dam easy. Takes the bugs right off. Bonus- it smells good.
- iPad for evening reading.
RustyHalverson likes this.

VagabondSD
'01 ST2

A bike on the road is worth two in the shed.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2015, 10:44 am

A pack of condoms. Can't leave home without it !
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Garage
Underwear.

2012 Ducati Multistrada
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2015, 4:22 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
A bottle of The Macallan 12.
Iconic944ss likes this.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000, Ninja 400RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode