Around the World with an Italian Supermodel - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:33 am Thread Starter

One of the things I enjoy most about traveling is becoming an inhabitant. I hate hotels and I don't ever just want to see the sunny side of a city. I want to see the best and worst (and a lot of the average stuff) that it has to offer. One requirement (other than staying as long as possible) is holding these in my hand:

Keys. My first apt. in Milan was relatively cheap and in a very unromantic part of town.

The first thing you notice about Milan is the graffiti--or rather--the tags.

I thought LA was bad, but 6 vertical feet of the entire city is covered in it. It's what would happen if you taught feral cats how to spell their names AND pee spraypaint. I'm all for graffiti art, but scrawling your name everywhere in your own neighborhood is equivalent to shitting in your pasta bowl. I guess people like the look of their own shit and love even more the taste of it every day.

There were those who knew what they were doing, though:

I was sick. Really sick. Conscious fever dreams during the day and during the night, waking up soaked in sweat. At one point I went to the balcony. I was on the 8th floor if you recall. No, never thought of jumping, but at some point the view turned against me.

That's what the view looked like in 'reality', but to my fevered brain it was a predator waiting to be shot.

Aegri somnia, a sick man's dreams. I'll get into the details later, but this journey for me was to do the things I love, to follow my 'passion', which is more akin to obeying the demands of a corrupt nervous system, but none-the-less, the painting captured a very particular and unfortunate moment right at the beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:35 am Thread Starter

Those early days in Milan had me not leaving my apt. but for a handful of times--and for only short durations. Fever was just too much. I was on antibiotics, but they were taking their sweet time. I hit up Dr. R (the one and only, from C2C) said to get Augmentin as soon as possible, what I had was basically useless and infections that spread the way mine was spreading can easily get to your heart or brain. You'd never think a tooth could kill, but I won't be postponing any Dental appointments from now on. A friend from SF with a sis living in Milan got me into a Dentist (Dr. Petrelli), who turned out to be an incredibly wonderful doctor with a wonderful staff. Unfortunately they spoke as much English as I spoke Italian, but even without language rather complicated communication is possible. He didn't even charge me for the exam or X-Ray.

After a visit to the Farmacia, I had what I needed:

I was out of immediate danger at least and ticked the "emergency visit to a doc in a foreign country" box.
post #13 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:36 am Thread Starter

For those who want to see lots of great food pics, I went about the cliffs-notes-version of culinary delight that entire first week. Everything I ate looked like this:

Not kidding. I ate tuna, bread, and fruit morning, noon and night. Around the third day I got some salami and chips. And it was damn good, I might add. A little pepper and olive oil go a long way.

post #14 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:38 am Thread Starter

Delays with my bike in US customs stretched from days to weeks, requiring me checking into my third (and fortunately last) place in Milan.

Cool place, too. Was at one time some sort of storage shed that was turned into a loft apt.

The best part? Milan skies poured down rain every night while cracks of lightning hit so close I could hear the after-fizzles of electricity right after the initial crack. (We're talking zero seconds between light and sound.)

I was in the Navigli neighborhood, which was undeniably the best location in Milan as far as I was concerned.

post #15 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:38 am Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]

Though at this time my bike still hadn't arrived, I was enjoying the mobility permitted by curiosity, made possible by health.
post #16 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:39 am Thread Starter

It's difficult to maneuver around Milan without accidentally seeing the Duomo:

It's huge--and looks so heavy that I expected at any moment the ground to crack and swallow it whole.

I went inside and saw that it was 10 Euros to get in. Fuck that. I leaned over a partition and started snapping shots until one of the staff members kicked me out.

What I wanted to see was on top. On the side of the building there's a small entrance where they let you walk up to the roof. They charged for that, too, but that was an expense I thought had some legitimacy to it.

[IMG][/IMG]

post #17 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 3:40 am Thread Starter

post #18 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 4:06 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Thanks Dennis, I enjoy your writing & photography, thank you

Craig

Ride on

Ducati 998S FE 2004
Ducati ST4S 2003
Cagiva Mito 125 1993 Bucket racer
post #19 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 4:16 am Thread Starter

For a slight change of pace, I visited the a da Vinci museum that had wooden models of a lot of his drawings.

Pretty cool, but the unexpected exhibits were in the basement.

post #20 of 560 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 4:16 am Thread Starter

Though I can't say I fell in love with Milan, I did fall in love with Milan at night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode