Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Thinking of Moving to New Zealand - Thoughts?

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  steveb64 
#1 ·
I've been thinking of moving to New Zealand. No particular reason except that it's been on my heart for several years and growing, and I feel the time is coming to move on, both in career and country. I build, commission, and operate power plants and am fairly certain I could find permanent work, once the decision is made to move.

I would love to hear tales of what life in that country is like, from those who have lived there. What are the good and bad things about the country? Best/worst places to live? Things to consider when immigrating? Whatever pointers you guys have I'm open to ground-level advice from real people.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You will be pleased to know that Ducati now has an official Ducati dealership in Auckland. There has been a bit of wait until NFI (the importer) chose one.

i can't give you many other pointers. It is a stunning place with beautiful roads. If it was warmer I might move there too.

#7 ·
I build, commission, and operate power plants and am fairly certain I could find permanent work, once the decision is made to move.
Thanks!
NZ is not crawling with power plants, if you mean high voltage power generation. About 55% is hydro, 6% wind and 7% geothermal. Their aim in circa 90% renewables by 2025.

NZ vs Oz - that discussion could go on forever. Oz has a wider range of climate zones like the US. Given we are a larger country with greater population and more resources, then my guess is that there would be more future power station opportunities in Oz. Also, given Australia's proximity to SE Asia and our supposed clean coal technologies etc., there may be scope for being with an Oz based company and working in SE Asia.

Richard

#14 ·
Yeah, there's a lot of good jobs on there. It'll be a few years before I can realistically make the trip, but that's why I'm starting to ask and do research now.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to start a business in NZ (or Aus)? That's something I'd want to do eventually, and it depends on taxation, rules on hiring, etc. Plus I have no idea what the state of the healthcare system is, from a ground-level point of view.

#16 ·
Here are some links that may help you. As a non-resident I believe you pay more tax, possibly and I am not sure if this has changed have your own Private Health Cover (there are lots of choices in this area) and if you have children you are responsible for their education. A couple of years ago the company I worked for sponsored a non-resident - he was always saying how hard it was as a non-resident in terms of the extra tax, etc. and certain from the company's perspective a lot of extra paperwork in complying with regulations.

International tax essentials
Personal income tax rates for non-residents
Visas, Immigration and Refugees
Foreigner Starting A Business In Australia - Australian Government Grants and Loans

If you are serious about a move to either Australia or NZ get a good Immigration Lawyer!

#15 ·
I would be worried about employment especially when you become an immigrant to a foreign country. I would look at their ministries website and do the necessary research because I think it would be tough to be hired by someone who may require to fill out the proper forms unless they are willing to sponsor you.

#18 ·
Weather should be a big consideration, especially for a biker. I lived in NZ for the first 30 years of my life, so this isn't conjecture.

I know a US guy who moved to NZ for the 'lifestyle' in 1996. He was an older guy at the end of his career and a very analytical type. He'd planned his emigration very carefully becuase he was choosing the country of his intended retirement. He considered a LOT of factors. He told me that he wished he'd researched one more factor before deciding, and that was rainfall.

It's not the end of the world but it can be pretty wet, very often, which can put a real damper on a motorcyclists lifestyle, literally.

There's a good reason the first inhabitants named the country 'aoteroa' (land of the long white cloud) i.e it can be very cloudy/rainy, often.

And there's also very good reason that a common saying about NZ is that it's a place where you often experieince "4 seasons in one day". A pretty famous song aboit it even uses that line. What this can mean for a motorcyclist is having to hump a lot of gear with you when you ride i.e. Waking up and riding to work while there is frost on the ground, then riding in bright and uncomfortably HOT midday sun, then having buckets of rain make afternoon riding a swelteringly muggy mess, only to then have to deal with bitter cold on the dark ride home.

Cost of living is super high too - rated in the top 3 (worst) in the world in a recent article I read.

But it is a beautiful... place.

#19 ·
Just dropping my 5c worth in - re the weather here - it varies hugely. From day to day, to week to week, to year to year. As an example - last summer was the driest we've had in 70 years. The previous summer was the wettest in 60 years. The plus side is that it's never too hot to go for a ride in the summer - unlike Aus. In the winter - it depends on what part of the country you live in, as NZ stretches north-south. From about this time of the year on - the southern end of the South Island can get snow to sea level (due in a few days) - while where I am (northern end of the North Island) - we're still getting 20 degree C days. Even the coldest days up here rarely drop below 10C in the day - nights can be a bit colder, with the occasional frost. While it's no fun riding in the wet - it's nothing a set of good tyres and wet weather gear can't cope with... ...and maybe a set of heated grips for the trips south. Even down in Wellington (south end of North Island), winter rides are OK - just wear a bit more gear - like thermal undies... ;), and try to stick to dry days...

As for work - well, it's depressed - but how's your geothermal tickets/quals? There's a few of those being planned - either replacements, or upgrades, or new. Also, check Trade Me Jobs - Thousands of New Zealand jobs. Find a job today, or Jobs on SEEK - New Zealand's no.1 Employment, Career and Recruitment site, or NZ Herald Jobs - New Zealand Employment, Careers & Job Search - they will give you a fairly good idea of what's going, and where.

One other thing going for NZ over Aus - no snakes here. Or crocodiles... ;)

Oh - one other thing - we don't get silly low speed limits set on nice twisty (well - only in a couple of places on main/major roads) bits of road. They just post 'recommended' speeds for corners or a 'twisty road' warning sign, and for how far - but no 30 or 40 mph limits - particularly on the back roads - of which there are plenty. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.