Ride-On tire balancer - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
I am not a physicist, but I have some healthy skepticism about explanations that don't have empirical evidence. Especially, when they are guised up in loosely applied laws of motion.

In the absence of strong evidence, would it not be useful to video tape the top down view of a rotating tin can, apply a proportional amount of imbalance comparable to full size tire, then apply some proportional amount of scaled down beads. Then, spin the can up to various rpms. This could help support some of the explanations if true.

Then, run a rigorous comparison test with real tires with traditional tire weights vs. real tires with beads.

If this can't be done, then I would put it into the "magnetic bracelet" category. May work or may not depending upon the power of suggestion.
I agree, evidence is needed, and one would expect there to be some.

This video is the only compelling evidence I have seen that it may work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2019, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Still looking for some scientific studies on the matter:

https://trid.trb.org/Results?q=&seri...2#/View/173972

This company provides third party test data:

Welcome to U.S. Tire Tech, Inc.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Garage
I have CounterAct beads in the rear tyre of my MTS because, well, I tried them before investing more in the kit to balance a SSSA wheel and have not noticed any ill-effects, aside from the sticky goop still on the wheel from the old weights. The front is balanced the traditional way. I'm unlikely to make the additional investment to balance a SSSA wheel and would use the beads again, I'm also not likely to remove the front and rebalance it now it has 6k miles on the tyre...

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 6:27 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
I've been using Dynabeads for more than 10 years. They work fine. The technology of using some kind of dry material like the beads or liquids is proven over decades of use in any number of applications from your washing machine drum to heavy truck tires and industrial machinery. Not snake oil. Is it essential in motorcycle tires? Probably not. Not that I would recommend it, but these days you could probably get away with balancing your rim once and just mount the tires. I used to static balance, still have the stuff to do it. You balance a new tire and a few 1000 miles in that tire has worn and the thing isn't balanced like it was when you mounted it. Big deal? No, probably not. I've dealt with uneven wear, cupping and all the rest. Since using the beads, I see almost none of that. The tires are freshly balanced every time you get rolling. Tires have gone to the wear bars and still have a smooth ride and pretty even wear. You may see that with static balancing too, but the beads are easy and effective in my experience.

If I worked at a tire shop, I'd hate them. They are messy to recover. If you didn't know they were there and busted open a tire, not good! I do my own tires and have my own method of recovering them. Yes, there is some rubber residue to clean off. I have enough beads to have a clean batch ready to go. I recover the old beads, but use the beads from the last change to install. Once I'm done, I just take the beads recovered, hose them off with brake cleaner in a mesh strainer and let them dry. The get put away for the next tire change. Takes about as long to do as it took me to static balance. Added bonus is I didn't need to buy the equipment to balance the SSSA rim of the 916 when I put that bike on the road.

Use them or don't, they work and I feel are better in some ways, but they aren't some kind of miraculous improvement over weights. Just another way to balance the tires.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)

Last edited by SS904; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 6:50 am.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Anecdotally speaking, Ride On sealant balancer works to balance the tires. It really improved the ride of my truck and on my motorcycle trailer wheels.

The hesitation I have with using it on motorcycle tires is that it adds significant weight and I like light wheels more than I worry about vibration on statically balanced wheels.

If I rode a cruiser on the highway, I would probably use it.

Last edited by Pard; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 4:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode