Optimum forks/fr brakes to fit '96 900CR? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2019, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Optimum forks/fr brakes to fit '96 900CR?

Another question about parts/modifications to either include or exclude from my list of curiosities.

Bike = 1996 900CR.

Is there a set of Ducati OEM sticks that permits the use of some optimum front brakes that are also OEM? Said another way, are there forks that will fit my motorcycle that will allow the use of better (best?) front calipers from another model? Preferably without also having to buy another set of OEM triple clamps?

The end goal is to be able to install the best front brakes that are within the Ducati OEM catalog that I can locate as used items.

Obviously, going to Ohlins or Racetech forks and a set of mega-zoot radial Brembo calipers is the optimal solution, but that ensemble is WAY above my pay grade. So the idea is to install a set of more desirable OEM forks which will accommodate "better/best" OEM calipers.

I'm one that can be made happy with forks that only permit changing to "better" fork oil, springs that are best suited to my weight and riding style, and making adjustments to the oil level ~slash~ air space. So if there are more desirable OEM brake calipers that will fit my stock non-adjustable CR forks I'm fine with that.

I hope I've made my self clear. My head is especially fuddup today (lack of R.E.M. sleep last night, sat up with my brother most of the night, his schizophrenic "voices" were really kicking his ass). That said, I am even more goofy today than I normally am.

Thanks for putting up with all of my questions ... like a kid that keeps asking "why?".

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2019, 5:38 pm

SSie Showa's (Race Tech springs/valves when $ allows) with 65mm 4 pad P4/34's.

Old Yellow SuperSport
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Garage
Different levels depending on amount of parts needed, cheap used oem gets expensive too if you buy enough of them.

stage 1
900sp/851/monster adjustable showas

good= direct bolt in and period correct, will benefit from springs possibly compression valve. brakes can be upgraded to better rotors and pads.
Bad = needs springs, restrictive compression valve and some do not like the design (works for me). 41mm tubes can be pitted now so buy carefully and even I can flex them.

stage 2
43mm showa from 800/900/1000 ssie or monster or ST series.
Good= 43mm so no flex (that I can manage)so far better seal life than 41mm. increased size of caliper mounts so you can upgrade to axial 4-pad calipers from 998/749/999 as well as rotors and pads.
Bad = more parts to buy/fit (calipers,clip ons, fitting of front wheel or buying new wheel and speedo drive) still same bad springs (except ST and some monsters)same compression valve. different lengths so measure and decide what you want.

stage 3
43mm showa from 996/748
Good= good valving. 43mm so no flex (that I can manage)so far better seal life than 41mm. increased size of caliper mounts so you can upgrade to axial 4-pad calipers from 998/749/999 as well as rotors and pads. if you are 225-250lbs you might be able to use stock springs.
Bad= you need to buy new trees of bore and shim to fit the forks plus. more parts to buy/fit (calipers,clip ons, fitting of front wheel or buying new wheel and speedo drive) probably springs.

stage 4
GSXR1000 forks
good = Buy the right year and you can slip in a set of KYB gsxr1000 forks, good valve,radial calipers. complete front ends with calipers can be had for $300 last i bought them.
Bad = buy the wrong year and you need to bore and shim, you will need to spring. you will need to shim rotors or buy different offset. more parts to buy/fit (calipers,clip ons, fitting of front wheel or buying new wheel and speedo drive)

I am sure some of the new monster or other model froks will also work but based on what i see inside them I do not care for most mid priced Ducati forks, they became much cheaper cost cutting internally.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Garage
As you said, you are just building a potential shopping list, but you might find what you have is quite wonderful as it is - many people felt that way in the 90's about that bike.

Brake pad choice and the resulting feel is very subjective. Fortunately we live in a hot climate with the option of avoiding riding during the 6 days a year we have rain so your brake choices become easier. I do switch the pads and sometimes rotors and calipers for track days. I like the Galfer options, but nothing wrong with Ferrodo or EBC, and both of my bikes have iron rotors - one noisy free floater and the other not. Track days always get a full fluid flush on the brake lines, whether or not I swap out the calipers. I think I still have a back brake, not sure, rarely use it except when accelerating leaned over through the bumps. Probably should check to see if I still have pads in there,...

In any case - what you have will lift the rear wheel under heavy braking without losing traction on the front wheel - so do you really want more powerful brakes? On the track they do get hot hot hot, but you better not be driving like that on the street. All the brake upgrades are dealing with dissipating heat. You are not going to put ABS on the old girl and in time you will love the way the bike frame can carry corner speed with all that torque easily on tap for the exit. So in sum, the best braking setup I have for the track is annoying for the first couple of miles on the street, or again, after I've done some miles without braking so they have cooled off.

Best, strongest, most powerful is very relative to how you are going to use the brakes, imo

Want to stir up some excitement? Talk about "upgrading" to DOT 5!

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Jul 12th, 2019 at 7:40 pm.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 9:10 am
Prolific Poster Award

Anything will fit if you donít mind spending the money and doing the work. As a straight bolt on , keeping the price within reason, my front brakes are the stockers with EBC HH pads and stainless braided lines. They have very good feel and power. If I wanted more Iíd buy some better rotors. I certainly canít out ride them. Iíve never made them fade or felt like I needed more. For front forks, I bought SP forks, Showa adjustable type. I replaced the springs with RaceTech single rate, proper rate for my weight and usage. Replaced the internals with Suzuki GSXR internals, better valving than the Stock Ducati guts, along with good fluid and seals.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Super excellent replies, folks! You've all provided me with a lot to think about and much to research.

As *Rock mentioned simply going with different brake pads can have a large influence on how the brakes feel/work.

It's a lot like bass guitar strings. People spend utter piles of money on new preamps, amplifiers, speaker cabinets, and all sorts of toys to find the sound they hear in their heads, when many times just changing brands/part numbers of the strings will have a huge effect on how their bass sounds. Strings can be bought for $20 bucks per set or less. That other stuff I mentioned can set one back by thousands of buckolas.

Anyhow ... thanks again ... much to discover!!

~thumbs up~ ....

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 1:40 am Thread Starter

I have seen mention of using a 25mm front axle. What does this entail?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 2:17 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
I have seen mention of using a 25mm front axle. What does this entail?.

25mm front axles with all efi supersports from '98 up, 20mm back to 92, 17mm for a 91. Speedo is different, more trouble than its worth until you find yourself replacing crashed parts or building a track bike.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 6:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
25mm front axles with all efi supersports from '98 up, 20mm back to 92, 17mm for a 91. Speedo is different, more trouble than its worth until you find yourself replacing crashed parts or building a track bike.
... bah! Another dead end. Dang it. Ok, thanks Rock. Again!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 6:56 am

Garage
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-par...ter-forks.html
Shameless Plug

I've got forks, axle, wheel, and rotors, if you think you can make it work. Then you can have your choice of 100mm radial calipers.

t_bare

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2 Ducatis = Mechanic

2013 Multistrada GT Touring Grey
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
2002 Ducati 998 Faster Banana!!!
2000 KTM 300 EXC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode