Pirelli Diablo Rosso III vs Diablo Rosso II - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 5:38 am Thread Starter

Garage
Pirelli Diablo Rosso III vs Diablo Rosso II

Hey everyone,

I am about to purchase a new set of tires of my 848 Evo and I can't decide between the Rosso II's or III's. I get that the III's are an overall improvement on the II's but I couple of things have me a little confuses.

1. They say that the redesigned profile aids turn in which sounds good since my bike is not quite as flickable as other bikes, but I've also read that the III's fronts lack a bit of feel. I was wondering if the II's have more. Also, Ducati's are known for being stable bikes and I was wondering if the increased turn in comes at the cost of less stability.

2. They also say that the III's are designed with high horsepower and electronics like traction control in mind. My 848 has neither of these things so I was wondering if the II's are better suited for my type of bike.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 5:48 am

I got 2k miles out of Rosso 3s on my m821...was not a fan...try the power RS...got 4500 miles on those...includes a 1k mile road trip and a track day

Last edited by Buhgaboo; May 16th, 2019 at 6:02 am.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 7:22 am
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage
I would say your experience with comparing the Rosso III to the Power RS is unique. Generally speaking the Rosso III should last much longer than the Power RS. Are you sure you're not confusing the Rosso III with the Rosso Corsa II?

In my experience the Rosso III is better than the Rosso II in every way. I consider it a great sport touring tire and I get about 6k miles from the rear on my KTM990SMT. I've never worn out a front but I still replace them every 2 or three rear tires. I would say their only negative compared with more track oriented tires is a slight vague feel in feedback when turning in. This isn't bad and is easily ignored once you learn to trust them, but it's there.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan View Post
I would say your experience with comparing the Rosso III to the Power RS is unique. Generally speaking the Rosso III should last much longer than the Power RS. Are you sure you're not confusing the Rosso III with the Rosso Corsa II?

In my experience the Rosso III is better than the Rosso II in every way. I consider it a great sport touring tire and I get about 6k miles from the rear on my KTM990SMT. I've never worn out a front but I still replace them every 2 or three rear tires. I would say their only negative compared with more track oriented tires is a slight vague feel in feedback when turning in. This isn't bad and is easily ignored once you learn to trust them, but it's there.
I'm sure everyone's experience is going to be different and I'm sure I'm on the low end of longevity for any tire given my surroundings...I'm on a set of rosso2 right now (came new with the rims)...I'm nearly to the wear bar with only 1k miles in... rosso2 have a far smaller 2nd compound than the 3...the 3 center compound is great and very long wearing...but the side compound just disappeared on me ...i would surmise that I was running the wrong pressure on the 3s but I have been diligently adjusting the rosso2s and I'm near done with them...the wear has been so bad it would be hard to get me back on them...that said the rosso3 is very flickable and far better in the rain when it gets aggressive...the second compound on the RS has zero silica and didnt like anything north of 28psi...

I'm frugal... I try and get my money's worth...when one area wears before another I feel I've wasted my money...with the rosso2 I would roll off the throttle to preserve the center...had no issue with that on the 3....I still had plenty left on top in the end but no performance left at lean...

Here's how I like to roll...

That's some even wear...vroom vroom
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. That vagueness on the III's do you think it would be better, worse, or about the same on the II's?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMC19 View Post
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. That vagueness on the III's do you think it would be better, worse, or about the same on the II's?
That was a major complaint initially on the rosso2...it always felt invisible...but the truth is you have to be flying into a corner to get near the limit and that's where it starts talking back to you...the performance on any Pirelli is impressive...if you can... dial in more compression on the fork...it degrades your cornerspeed a lil, but will start a dialogue with the tire....when you begin to push the front and get this shiny bit around the tire start dialing it out

If your looking for front tire feedback I could also recommend the s21...it's ultimately a slower tire but it will talk to you wet or dry...I loved that front tire...I would have deep meaningful conversations on many mountain roads ...lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 12:45 am Thread Starter

Garage
Great info guys thanks. I read review after review and I couldn't get the answers I was looking for. Honestly I do not have the skill to push any Pirelli Diablo tire to its absolute limit, so I'm obsessing over this more for fun, but its great to learn about them.

I have to admit I made a stupid mistake. The tires I'm replacing are the ones that were on the bike when I got it. I actually assumed I had a set of II's on from the tread pattern on the rear but it turns out they're the normal Diablo's, so I'm sure either the II's or the III's will feel great.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm
Banned

I have had both the RII and RIIIs both were confidence inspiring however the thing I noted about the RIIIs was turn in - it felt like more feedback and discussion was happening vs. the others.

Both were great on the street - but on track or when "spirited" riding took over - the RIIIs were my winner.

Bike was a Ducati 998.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode