Racetech Gold Valve vs. Ohlins - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2019, 1:33 pm Thread Starter

Racetech Gold Valve vs. Ohlins

Looking at doing some suspension upgrades on my 06 999......currently has the Showa rear shock. Is it worth messing around putting a Racetech valve in the Showa or should I try and get a hold of a used Ohlins rear shock? I don't do any track days, just mildly aggressive street and touring, but I'm all about improving the functionality of my bikes even if I don't necessarily "need" to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2019, 2:42 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
Definitely. A properly installed RaceTech revalve is a wonderful thing. Properly valved and sprung for your weight vs. Something used...no brainer.
DuckMan likes this.

2011 KTM 990 SMT
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2019, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Definitely. A properly installed RaceTech revalve is a wonderful thing. Properly valved and sprung for your weight vs. Something used...no brainer.
Cool.....I was just curious if a re-valved Showa would perform as well as getting an Ohlins and rebuilding it......the re-valve is definitely a lot cheaper and the Showa is already sprung for my weight.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Garage
The valves in your 999 showa are already close to a gold valve, you can re-stack them but changing valves to gold in your form is a color change. This does not mean you cannot improve what you have. Start with checking sag to see if you have the right springs, then ask what you want changed with the valving. Ohlins are cool factor and in some cases a big benefit, most people find a well set up showa to be 90% of an ohlins and few can notice that last 10%.

My street monster has ohlins forks, my street supersport,monster,SS,ST or 851 would get gold valves. My track supersport has stock valves and my 748 has oem as well. I have a couple sets of ohlins hanging around here (no 999) so I have no reason to not put them on other than I simply do not find the need. .... well yet anyway.
jheurte and NErider999 like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
I thought the Racetech pistons flowed more/better than the stock pistons?

2011 KTM 990 SMT
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2019, 6:58 am

Garage
There are different stock pistons depending on which fork/model bike. Outside of the 851/888 all super bikes have had a good valve that flows very similar to a gold valve so any gains will be with the shim stack more than the valve itself.

In the case of the 851/888, monster,supersport,ST series the valve design WAS poor and there is a very good benefit. Well worth changing if you have high speed damping issues. Keep in mind these valves are high speed damping , there is some benefit to low speed only if the low speed bleed is enlarged.

This is why some bikes do not benefit much from changing the part (valve) but could benefit from changing the stack.
jheurte likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 2:07 pm

Having rebuild my Sachs on my 748 and the Ohlins on my other bikes I'd go for the Ohlins. The Sachs (in a 748 at least) used a blader to hold the Nitrogen, Ohlins uses a floating separator piston. The rest of the parts inside are just nicer. It was made to be rebuild and services. The sachs, not so much. It's a price point part.
I've used RaceTech in the forks on my 01 Monster and the made a huge difference on the compression side, they did not do anything on the rebound. Not a huge deal but I would do it different next time.

LRRS #44
04 749R race bike
01 748 track/back up bike
01 M900S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Check out Traxxion Dynamics in GA. Had them revalve my front forks (I know not rear shock). The difference was amazing!!!! I really felt the front end was set up very well before, but WOW. Give them a call.

2000 996S
2003 SV1000
1999 SV650
1997 TL1000
1986 GSXR750
1981 GS1100E
1980 KZ750
1972 H2750

WERA #62 Expert
V2 National Champion
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:18 am

Having played around with shock and fork internals I know a fair bit about them.
I've reshimmed the shock countless times and ended up sending it to Jamie Daugherty for a reshim. He has a shock Dyno and knows how the shock should behave.

I can tell you however that the standard piston looks like an Ohlins one and doesnt need to be changed out. Also the spring is more in need of a change then the shock itself. Just pop on a 85 N/mm2 spring on the stock showa and you will be happy. Or google Jamie Daugherty and send him your shock, weight, riding style and you get a correct spring and a serviced shock with personalized revalve and settings correct for your bike.

All for about a second hand ohlins unit that still needs another spring, service and revalve.

For the forks, no need for gold valves, since the standard showa 3-port pistons flow more then enough oil. I would try a C34 racetech stack and leave the rebound stack as it is.

Gr. Michel

Forza Giallo!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 4:34 pm

Go for the gold!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode