tire change / chain adjustment question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo
  • 1 Post By SS904
  • 1 Post By jahjah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2017, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

tire change / chain adjustment question

Never changed a tire myself no do I know how to do it. I always go to a shop whenever I need new tires.

So I took my S2R1000 to a shop for new tires today. When it was done and I was paying, the owner tells me my chain was loose so they had to adjust it so that's another $15. Huh!?! Don't you put the rear tire back on and make sure the chain has the proper slack/tension anyways??? Yes, I paid the $15 but I left the shop thinking well that was weird. Was that another gimmick to get more money out of me? The shop already charged me $45 per wheel for mounting, not to mention I bought the tires from them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Call it motivation...shop charged me retail, once.....once

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
DS749R likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Garage
It certainly sounds excessive but in all honestly, you don't have to touch the chain in order to replace a tire on a bike with a single sided swingarm. It really is extra work to loosen the eccentric and adjust the chain.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2017, 12:02 am

I don't think that charging for 10 minutes time to adjust your chain is unreasonable.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2017, 12:10 am

SSSA...charge justified. DSSA...nope, just part of the work. However if it were me I'd charge extra for DSSA. Takes me more that twice as long to do.

2007 GT1000 - 2015 1299S - 2019 KTM SMC R
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2017, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198SP View Post
It certainly sounds excessive but in all honestly, you don't have to touch the chain in order to replace a tire on a bike with a single sided swingarm. It really is extra work to loosen the eccentric and adjust the chain.
Good to know, thanks I have my 1098R needing tires too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2017, 3:14 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking_Futs View Post
Good to know, thanks I have my 1098R needing tires too.
Yeah, chain adjustments on the 1098R will be the same, I believe. It's not complicated but it does take up some shop time so $15 isn't unreasonable. I mean, If someone purchased tires and paid to have them installed in my shop (if I had one) I think I'd adjust the chain as a part of the service regardless of the bike but, I don't think your guy was trying to scam you by any means.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2017, 3:19 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Let me be "that guy" and remind you checking chain tension should be a routine thing for you. Lubing it as well. Maybe not every time you swing a leg over the bike, but pretty often. If the shop had to let you know it was loose and adjusted it without asking you first, my guess it was pretty loose. A modest pre-ride check can save a lot of trouble on the road.
PACABADA likes this.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2017, 5:00 pm

I find that alarming. I've never paid a charge for anything I didn't agree to in some form up front for nothing more than the principal. It takes almost no time to tighten a chain on a single sided swingarm or a double that is already aligned. Any experienced mechanic will make the adjustment in seconds. It should be done as part of the service because it would be stupid not to do it while the assembly is loose. If there is something wrong and it won't adjust easily, then you contact the customer about additional charges before screwing with it further. This is like getting an oil change and then being told you owe for a carwash. Probably a standard policy at this place regardless of whether it needs adjusting or not. The females in my family got this type of behavior frequently. The response, I have to call my dad/husband. 80% of the time, that alone eliminated the charge. These days of social media reviews, it is just plain stupid behavior.

If I were you, I would have said, "no thanks, I adjust my own chain," Then I would never go back there.
nzdave likes this.

2001 Monster S4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode