Tire changes at home - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2017, 7:43 am

I break the bead with a 2 x 4 bolted to the workbench.
Wrestle the tire off with a couple of tire irons.
I use a Marc Parnes balancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
I use a NoMar older model. I think it was about $700 for all of the attachments and accessories.
I use a NoMar also. I got mine at Laguna Seca one year. Show special....I think I paid $499 for it. Shipped to my house too. Best investment in my garage I've ever made besides my welders.

It just makes doing tires so much easier. I have multiple bikes to take care of, so inevitably, at least one, sometimes two need new tires in the course of a year. I can take care of my own plus my riding buddies. I do others too, for beers.

I use a Harbor Freight special for a balancer. I paid less than $40 for it, and it is not discernibly different to any of the others I've seen around the interwebz. I use K&L stick on weights that I got through Cycle Gear. I've had a box of weights now for at least 4 years and I'm not going to run out anytime soon.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannaduc View Post
I use a NoMar also. I got mine at Laguna Seca one year. Show special....I think I paid $499 for it. Shipped to my house too. Best investment in my garage I've ever made besides my welders.

It just makes doing tires so much easier. I have multiple bikes to take care of, so inevitably, at least one, sometimes two need new tires in the course of a year. I can take care of my own plus my riding buddies. I do others too, for beers.

I use a Harbor Freight special for a balancer. I paid less than $40 for it, and it is not discernibly different to any of the others I've seen around the interwebz. I use K&L stick on weights that I got through Cycle Gear. I've had a box of weights now for at least 4 years and I'm not going to run out anytime soon.....sean
I bought the "big kit" It came with a lot of stuff, important stuff like the stuff you need to balance a wheel from a single sided swing arm

t_bare

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2 Ducatis = Mechanic

2013 Multistrada GT Touring Grey
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
2002 Ducati 998 Faster Banana!!!
2000 KTM 300 EXC

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2017, 6:21 am
Prolific Poster Award

You guys gotta lube up!
Warm hooker spit is best but very expensive...
Do the shops balance the wheels properly???
Oh Sure we do, the wheel just turns out to be a perfect balance so no weights needed....
I am suspect...
Don't cha hate it when there are too many weights?
And the new kid at the shop is the tire changer grunting away with your beautifull expensive rims...

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2017, 6:23 am
Prolific Poster Award

^^^
See above post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
I would love a tire changer thingy but I can't mount it to anything where I'm at. Trickiest part is getting the tire to sit into the rim...I'm always tearing the tire on the last little bit, still seals but geeesh so sketchy some times...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bad decisions make for good stories
Take my Advice, I don't use it.
2011 Red Multistrada S Touring
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator in moderation

Garage
I use the Marc Parnes balancer too. Great little tool. I'll support the ends with jack stands or buckets.

Of course, some would say dynabeads are the way to go for tire balancing. But that's a whole 'nuther thread.

Mike
2006 ST3 - 2004 KLR 650 (the Truck)
NEDOC
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukason View Post
Of course, some would say dynabeads are the way to go for tire balancing. But that's a whole 'nuther thread.
Beads for me. Never going back to stick on weights, unless I am planning on track time. I have read the beads can be an issue with track tires. Something about the inner liner and the heat generated causing them to clump up with rubber. No idea if true, but...

Street? They are wonderful.

I do change my own tires. I use a simple table top deal with a bead breaker, rim protectors and tire irons. A little muscle needed, but not too bad and it's an every other year thing for me with two bike to wear out.

I use this.
Wolverine1 likes this.

Dan. "Painfully mistaking my big talk for the truth" Samantha Fish.
2003 ST4s (The Truck)
1995 916 (Junk Yard Dog)
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
I bought the "big kit" It came with a lot of stuff, important stuff like the stuff you need to balance a wheel from a single sided swing arm
t_bare
When I bought mine, I had no need of stuff for balancing a wheel from a single sided swing arm. I didn't have a 996 to worry about back then. Now I do, but I've plenty of time to order a set......the 996 won't need tires for at least a season.
Quote:
Absolutely do. Not just on my bikes either. However, having worked in a shop changing tires I can say with certainty, quality tires (and tubes) make a big difference in how many weights are required.

I had numerous customers opt for cheap tubes and there was enough of a heavy spot that those rims required more than the usual weight to balance. Then I had one customer who would not buy any tubes save for Michelin. His Sport 1000 rear wheel was so sweet on the balance machine, I need a single weight to get it perfect.

I loved mounting Michelin tires for customers. I couldn't tell how many I did that simply balanced with no weights at all. Probably 75-80% of them. Bridgestone by comparison was the next in line for fewest weights needed, and I probably found 30-40% of the ones I mounted needed no weights at all.

I won't get into beads. I hate them. I didn't like demounting a wheel that had them "installed" as the once the bead broke, tire beads went everywhere. I didn't like installing them, it was a mess to do. Almost always ended up spilling them all over the shop floor.

Quote:
I have read the beads can be an issue with track tires. Something about the inner liner and the heat generated causing them to clump up with rubber.
Yep. Happens on street tires too. Kinda like a zilion little snowballs rolling around inside your tire. After a while some begin to "grow" rubber on them, and they skive the rubber off the inside of the tire too. So there is a ton of rubber debris rolling around along with the beads.

I was asked several times to reuse the beads. Forget that. I'd gather as much of the mess of rubber and beads as I could, and put it in a plastic bag for the customer. If they wanna reuse them, be my guest. I'm not spending an hour separating the beads from old rubber to "reinstall" them in a tire.

Water would be less of a head ache and do the same thing. It's also free........sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Garage
Some tires are more of a pita. Bridgestones have very very stiff carcasses. My VTR loves them but spooning them on was a struggle. Michelin is the opposite and very easy. Sitting them in the sunlight helps as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
I used to pay professionals to do it. Last time I payed for it, they scratched my rims badly. So now I do my own tire changes.
I was in the same boat. Last time pizzed me off so much. I looked at the guy and said, "ya know you scratched the hell outta my wheel?" He looked back and told me it was like that when I brought it in. I said bullshit and told him word of mouth travels fast.
Ended up spooning my own for years, till I got a job working on bikes. Machine for me from now on AND I remember that experience and treat every wheel like it's my own.

Beads work, they are in the rear wheel of my Multi now.
I've seen very old ones and have reused em too. Just please don't throw the bag in there (yes they have). Main deal w/ beads is to be very cautious with bead lube. Can't allow any moisture in there with them. No experience w/ race stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTScott2 View Post
Do the shops balance the wheels properly???
Oh Sure we do, the wheel just turns out to be a perfect balance so no weights needed....
I am suspect...
And the new kid at the shop is the tire changer grunting away with your beautifull expensive rims...
Ya know... I've found it happens quite a lot. I'm a tech at a used sportbike shop (not a dealership) and we have a computer balancer. Some tires are better than others, Michelin being one. They do not mark a valve stem spot and quite frequently if the wheel is balanced the tire doesn't require me to move weights. (I'm @ about 120 tires on the season so far)

'10 MTS1200 S
'00 VTR1000f
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2017, 11:48 am Thread Starter

So I ordered one of the No-Mar Classic tire changes and also a set of Dunlop Q3s for my Streetfighter. Will let the group here know how well things move along once I get the machine and the tires. Appreciate all the feedback!
mojodog, Andreaz and shil like this.

2013 Multistrada 1200 Pike's Peak
2012 Streetfighter S, 2001 ST4, 1992 900 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode