Tire Mileage Expectancy - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By PhilBoncer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Question Tire Mileage Expectancy

Hello - I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, and a *quick* forum search didn't turn up clear results, so I just thought to ask...

I'm wondering about what I should expect from my tires in terms of life expectancy/miles. I realize a lot of factors like style of riding can impact this, but perhaps with a little context, the more knowledgeable and experienced of you can provide your insight?

I'm on a '13 Monster 796 with about 16.3K miles and so far (Michelin Pilot Power) have gone through three sets of tires (first set being Pirelli's). This averages out to about 5400 miles per set. Does this "sound" normal?

I'm not a commuter, and do nearly all my riding on twisty country roads. I'm by no means crazy or aggressive, but I would think I'm still on the more spirited riding side of the spectrum as opposed to cruising easily. That said, would about 5400 miles on a set of tires register as normal in your eyes?

I also ask, because at the moment, I have only about 4400 miles on my current Pilot Powers, and have had three instances in the last two days where I've felt the bike lose traction while leaned over a bit on a curve. nothing crazy, but enough to make me need a change of pants. Got me wondering about the tire life, because visibly speaking, the tires don't look that worn at all.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 3:10 pm

I'd kill for more than 3000 miles on a rear tire.

2010 SF, 2011 M796- wife's
A few other and many gone and still missed
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodog View Post
I'd kill for more than 3000 miles on a rear tire.
Clearly you ride a lot harder than I do!

I'm still new - only been on a bike about 3 years. I know I'm not quick and aggressive, but I don't think I'm at a snails pace either. Considering it's all highway speed, country road riding, I'm wondering if I'm getting out a tire what you'd expect. Trying to validate when to change tires, especially when tread depth seems OK, but grip levels are maybe weakening...I guess that's my point or what I'm really trying to get at. Feeling that weird slip when you're leaned over a bit...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 3:25 pm

That sounds exactly normal, if you're using sport tires. That's also exactly why I usually run sport-touring tires.
They are plenty sticky enough for any riding short of actual racing, and they last about twice as long.

PhilB
EvanPC likes this.

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Garage
I have the same bike! Got exactly 5000mi out of my Pirelli rear. I continued on with the Rosso II's, personally.

There was actually pretty good tread left on the front, but it was 3-years old and I usually replace my MX tires as a set.

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2016, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoncer View Post
That sounds exactly normal, if you're using sport tires. That's also exactly why I usually run sport-touring tires.
They are plenty sticky enough for any riding short of actual racing, and they last about twice as long.

PhilB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie98 View Post
I have the same bike! Got exactly 5000mi out of my Pirelli rear. I continued on with the Rosso II's, personally.

There was actually pretty good tread left on the front, but it was 3-years old and I usually replace my MX tires as a set.
Thanks for the responses. Good peace of mind.

I just hadn't experienced this yet (tires looking OK visibly, but experienced slipping in corners). Freaked me out a bit. Timing isn't too bad to get this taken care of. Approaching May and I can start the season in full swing with a fresh set of tires. I see no reason to change from the Michelin's at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode