Anyone try out the new Metzeler's? (M7RR) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2014, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Anyone try out the new Metzeler's? (M7RR)

Just curious if anyone had tried out the new Metzeler M7 RR's ? Apparently they were developed with Guy Martin for the Isle of Man TT.

I've used the M5's for several years now with remarkable success and I just picked up a single M7 RR for the front (still some life left on the rear). It was readily noticeable that it dug in much better, which surprised me as the M5's have been excellent and I had no complaints. I can't wait to burn off the rear and go with a matched set.

The new M7 is 100% silica on the front and about 70% on the rear. Apparently there's 20% more lean angle in the rain and about a 20% increase in lifespan overall. Pirelli convinced them to take out 2 belts as well so it's a softer tire then the M5's.

Best & Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Garage
Interesting to hear how these perform. I've had M5's in the past, didn't mind them as a quickish street tyre but I found them too hard to really push on.

2008 Hypermotard 1100 S
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I've heard the US won't be seeing them until the first quarter of 2015. Looks like a tire worth trying though.

Jerry Duke
2001 YELLOW Monster M900Sie
2007 BMW R1200S - Candy Stripe

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2014, 4:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
I've had M5's in the past, didn't mind them as a quickish street tyre but I found them too hard to really push on.
I'm glad you said that because you mentioned something I picked up on and never fully realized. When I was going into corners really hot, and on a sharp lean, I always felt they should have less air in them. I tested that theory a lot but came to the conclusion I had it right and so I left it there. I never found them to be harsh and they did everything well but now that you mention it, it's clear that I was trying to soften them up

The M7 RR is way softer - I noticed that right away. It really digs in. I did my standard weaving routine and it was very different due to the tire digging in so well.

I chose the M5's primarily due to their rain performance. I started riding a few years ago and blew through an intersection because I could not stop even though I was going very slow for the conditions. I backed off the throttle, geared down, and the rear wheel slipped. I then used the rear brake and once again, the tire slipped. I then tried the front - same thing - all the while getting closer and closer to the red light until finally I coasted through at a very slow speed because I could not stop. Mind you, it was the first rain of the summer and had been dry for 3 months. The pavement had that tell-tale foam on it. I learned a lot that day.

That's how I found the M5's and I've run 6 in a row now back to back. In fact, when the M7's came out I was very hesitant to change - why mess with a good thing?

Knowing that the silica content is the main reason the M5's worked so well in the rain I'm certain that the M7 RR's will be better because the front is 100% - which will be interesting in it's own right. With the M5's I don't have any wet weather issues at all Now it's improved!

Judging from how well the M7 RR dug in on the test ride, which was in the dry, I'd say if they last as long as the M5's it will likely end up being my new go-to tire regardless of Metzeler claims of 20% longer life. Once the weather improves I'll see what it's like on high speed tight corners but my guess is that the new softness of the tire, and the fact that it really, really digs in, will result is some pretty wild corners.

One corner that I did on the M5's sticks out in my mind, I nailed it so hard and I was so low down I could see the exact composition of the road surface, every rock and pebble embedded in the ground. I was really flying, had it right on it's side, I was on the wire and then some. The thing is, I knew that the M5's, coupled with that road surface, would never let go and I could have gone through even faster. That image is burned into my mind, I'll never forget it, it was one of those rides. Thing is, when I think about how much softer the M7 is, coupled with that road surface (typical around here) I'm certain that the grip has gone up several orders of magnitude. It should make for some interesting corner carving when the weather gets better!

Best & Thanks!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2015, 1:28 pm

M7 now available

Looks like these Metzelers are NOW available in the US. Anyone got them on yet here? Would like to know how us Yanks feel about them.

Metzeler Sportec M7 RR Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

2013 Pikes Peak
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2015, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

I'm still very pleased with mine but it is a Canadian opinion

What I'd love to see is someone with a lot of varied tire experience try them out and report back on what they found. How they compared to other leading brands etc.

My experience is somewhat limited in that respect but they have been the very best tires I've put on the bike yet.

Best & Thanks!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2015, 12:07 am Thread Starter

Update to this, after much more riding (the tires are almost done) I'm going to see if I can back to some old stock M5's.

In my case I need the extra belts/stiffness.

During a fast & hard stop both front and rear locked up. It was not a panic stop and this should not have occurred. I've also had a few instances where cornering was not very good and one instance where I could have swore the rear tire was low or had a leak. Turns out, it was just the rear tire getting squirrely.

I haven't been able to really test them in the rain yet it's now a moot point - they're going because they appear to be way too soft.

The praise I posted earlier appears to have been pre-mature - sorry about that

Best & Thanks!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2015, 1:01 am

Garage
That sucks, but thanks for sharing your feedback. I was considering trying these for my next rubber but it looks like I'll be sticking with S20 Evo's.

2008 Hypermotard 1100 S
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2015, 11:45 pm

Garage
Just posting up my opinions on these tyres, now that I've clocked up 2,000kms or so on them.

First the wet weather performance - my first ride out on them was into 3 hours of pissing mid winter rain (in the dark), and over some fairly nasty back roads with rough/slippery surfaces - and not even one little wiggle. Admittedly, I was travelling with pretty much a full load on board, and wasn't pushing it, but even so, if they were going to twitch at all, the roads I was on should have encouraged something to happen, and the behaved very well indeed. Even on the return ride, when I hit some wet weather, they behaved impeccably.

As I hadn't ridden for a couple of years, AND I've been messing around with my suspension (and with new, untried by me tyres) - I've been taking it easy, and 'easing' back into the faster riding - but I did a 300km loop the other day, and started to push things a bit on some of my more favourite corners - and they're still behaving really well. The chicken strips are getting thinner... Not quite to where they were with the Diablos, but not far off.

I'm running them at a slightly higher pressure than the previous tyres (Pirelli Diablos (not Diablo Rossos)) at 34 psi front and 36 psi rear, and so far still feeling fine.

OK - my SL isn't what you would call a high power output engine - but then I used to chew through the Diablos in 4500-5000 kms to a rear, and around 7-8000 kms to a front - and the wear that I've got on the M7RR's so far, is indicating that they should last much better than that. I'll post more as I get some more mileage clocked up on them.
Brass Monkey likes this.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2015, 10:17 pm

Garage
At +3000kms now - the chicken strips on the rear have now gone (after the last ride). As I get more confident with the tyres, I still can't find anything to complain about. No lockups, no twitches or wriggles - wet or dry (and I rode in some horribly wet weather, on some pretty C grade roads). I'm running mine at 36 psi rear, 34 front, which seems to be where they're happy on my bike. At +3000kms, the amount of wear says they should last easy another 4-5000 kms - maybe more, though the front appears to be wearing slightly faster than the rear - a problem I had with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's (not Rosso II's), which chewed the front out MUCH faster than the rear.

I had a couple of times where it felt 'wobbly', almost like a soft or flat tyre, but on checking, they were fine. It's not recurred since I adjusted my suspension up - now much better (firmer front and rear) than it was.
Spex likes this.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode