Anyone try out the new Metzeler's? (M7RR) - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2016, 10:49 am

Garage
I a wondering if these would be a choice even over the Pirellis for my 1098... despite the rebate on the Pirellis? The first tire I ever fell in love with was a Metzeler way back decades ago and have been considering trying them out again. Just the fact that Pirelli owns Metzeler makes me wonder.. anyone want to weigh in?

WARNING!: The Surgeon General doesn't say anything about smoking the competition!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Garage
I absolutely can recommend these M7 RR tyres! I started with a set of M5's on my duc 900ss carby, after the diabolo's that were fitted by the previous owner. They lasted around 14000 km's after I wore them down till the bare belts.. I rode them all weather for work: cold, freezing rain, hot summer days, they never gave an inch away.. ? Put around 6 trackdays on them as well..
After wearing these down, the M7Rr's came out! This was of course a no brained for me! I must say I was surprised how much improvement they were over the M5's, especially during track days.. I did not really felt much difference on the road as the M5's are very good as well. The m7's give even more bite on the dry, even in the wet they are confident enough to do a knee down (on the track)

After switching from 900ss to 999s 2005, I immediately got the M7's. I've now
around 11000 km's including around 4 trackdays on them and I'm still some mm or two from the wear limit.
They are surprisingly confident and very predictable when powering hot out off the curve: they give away on full lean without surprises and tell you when you reach the limit.

Super stable when braking hard as well, and very good in the wet or slippery roads..

I can highly recommend them for general use in all conditions (even snow) with very good performance on the track! (I could easily follow the wanna-be guys with slicks!!) (of course a slick is faster if driven as you should when having slick tyres)

Last edited by jens.bal; Sep 28th, 2016 at 4:31 pm.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens.bal View Post
I absolutely can recommend these M7 RR tyres! I started with a set of M5's on my duc 900ss carby, after the diabolo's that were fitted by the previous owner. They lasted around 14000 km's after I wore them down till the bare belts.. I rode them all weather for work: cold, freezing rain, hot summer days, they never gave an inch away.. ? Put around 6 trackdays on them as well..
After wearing these down, the M7Rr's came out! This was of course a no brained for me! I must say I was surprised how much improvement they were over the M5's, especially during track days.. I did not really felt much difference on the road as the M5's are very good as well. The m7's give even more bite on the dry, even in the wet they are confident enough to do a knee down (on the track)

around 11000 km's including around 4 trackdays on them and I'm still some mm or two from the wear limit.
They are surprisingly confident and very predictable when powering hot out off the curve: they give away on full lean without surprises and tell you when you reach the limit.

Super stable when braking hard as well, and very good in the wet or slippery roads..

I can highly recommend them for general use in all conditions (even snow) with very good performance on the track! (I could easily follow the wanna-be guys with slicks!!) (of course a slick is faster if driven as you should when having slick tyres)

Agree with the above, Jen, though I have yet to ride the Duc in snow. I liked the M5s a lot, and am on a set of M7RRs now, which feel even stickier. I've also tried the Z8s but didn't like them --not enough grip to do a bump-start when the R/R let me down.

1968 Velocette 500
1972 Commando 750
Now:
2007 GT 1000

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 6:20 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens.bal View Post

How on earth do you get 11,000 kms out of a tyre? Any tyre? The best I've ever got out of a tyre was about 6500kms on a set of Diablos (just Diablos, not Rossos or Corsas) - but they were pumped up to 2-3 psi higher than I normally run, and I was very scrupulous about sticking to the speed limit (did the full mileage on a ride to the Burt Munro challenge - at the other end of the country to me) due to large numbers of cops out at the time. And no - I do NOT use my back brake a lot. Actually - half the time, the back brake doesn't work at all...

I mean - looking at your pics, it looks like you use them plenty hard, but 11,000kms!? I don't know whether to be embarrassed or jealous.

I managed 5500 on my M7RR's which isn't much, but still 20% better than I usually get (4500 kms) from a set of Diablos. OK, they wore nice and evenly, no flat spot in the middle - but then the roads I ride on are far from straight.

BTW - that mileage means I pay more per km for my tyres than I do for my gas (~9.09 c/km for tyres, ~8.6 c/km for gas).

Oh - and pressures (F/R) - Diablos 32/36, M7RR 34/36 - and they feel like they would work slightly better at 35 or 36 in the front, whereas the Diablos are much happier at 32 rather than 34.

As for the riding - I liked the M7RR's. As Jens states - they work damn well in the wet. I did a couple of thousand kms in the wet with mine, and not one slip (not one knee down either ) - and the dry weather performance was better than me - I never got them to do anything nasty, despite trying as hard as I was game to while not on a track on a track bike.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 6:39 pm
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+

Garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mojodog likes this.

Mike
2006 999, 2007 S2R1000
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2017, 1:48 pm

M7RR's good griping tire!

WFO
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 11:04 am

the M7 is what i run on all my street bikes. it would pretty much take an act of god for me to change to another tyre.

the cold grip is out of this world good, like unexpectedly good.
grip when warm is plenty good for any kind of aggressive street riding, and would even do OK at a fairly brisk track pace.

the M7 OWNS !!!
Desmofreak likes this.

2007 1098, nemesis TC, full Termi and race ECU, full Ohlins, and Marchesini wheels
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
the M7 is what i run on all my street bikes. it would pretty much take an act of god for me to change to another tyre.

the cold grip is out of this world good, like unexpectedly good.

grip when warm is plenty good for any kind of aggressive street riding, and would even do OK at a fairly brisk track pace.

the M7 OWNS !!!
I agree 110% with you. Best multi weather sport tyre.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

S2R 1000 07' - Sold
Streetfighter S 09'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode