Thinking of a Diavel....... tips? - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:47 am
asshole online, nice in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_2The_L View Post
Y'all talking about the xDiavel. Big difference in riding position between that and the Diavel (that the OP is referring to). Diavel has mid controls and slightly forward seating position.
Yah the foot position on the standard Diavel isnt too bad but the bike still sits too low and leaned too far back for any real control.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 11:46 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Yah the foot position on the standard Diavel isnt too bad but the bike still sits too low and leaned too far back for any real control.
Agreed that it sits much lower than a "sport bike" and there is definitely more effort required for precise control in tight corners (of-course the back tire width is as much to blame here). But I don't think it's fair to characterize the Diavel as a "cruiser" because it has mid controls and slightly forward leaning shoulders. It's just such a different riding position from a true cruiser with forward controls and upright seating e.g. xDiavel, V-Rod, etc.
I've seen several Diavel's with rear-sets and drag bars, that make a more forward riding position that is simply not possible with a true cruiser.

Anyway, point taken - it does not have true sportbike ergos.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 3:31 pm
asshole online, nice in person

both Diavels will always be cruisers to me...
O_2The_L likes this.

Vintagedesmo.com

Link to all of my bikes and builds: *Click!*

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 4:21 am

Quote:
Why such a radical change? why not a Monster or a Multi? They are far better bikes unless you just think cruisers are cool?

It's not a cruiser dude....
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 4:25 am

Quote:
both Diavels will always be cruisers to me...

I love it when guys who have never ridden them pass judgement on them.....

I did that, then was told to ride it, the Diavel in std form is very capable of giving any sport bike rider a hard time, the X Diavel isn't, it's definitely more laid back and cruiser...ish.
but the Diavel? it's a seriously fast road bike that is well and truly capable. don't knock it until you've actually ridden it. And if you claim you have i know you're lying, because if you have there's no way you would say it's a cruiser......

Not everyone needs a sports bike crouch to feel like they're enjoying the ride, a 916 is a great bike but the Diavel is much more suitable for more all round duties, just like a Multi, but with a different flavour.
Don't bag what you don't know.......
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 10:02 am

Garage
Quote:
I'm 6'4 and with the stock bars, it does push me back in the seat - easily solved by tossing the stock bars in the trash and installing some LSM Drag Bars. As for the seat, I agree it's a bit low but, I have Sergeant seat on the way that will raise the seat height about 2"

My good buddy rode the Diavel for 400 miles or so last weekend (he's 6'4 as well) and he absolutely loved it. So much he offered to buy it from me, in fact. Don't knock the Diavel until you try it - it may not be a crotch rocket but it most certainly isn't a cruiser. To be perfectly honest, the stock suspension sucks donkey balls. The front end is hard as a rock and rear is mushy as f($k but, with some upgrades the thing handles surprisingly well. It puts a huge shit-eatin' grin on my face every time I throw a leg over it. As many times as I've thought of "upgrading" it for something newer, I've yet to find anything worth the trade...

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Garage
Actually on second thoughts, my insurance company might be trolling this forum................. "Er, yes sir. Of-course it's a cruiser!"
loony888 likes this.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_2The_L View Post
Actually on second thoughts, my insurance company might be trolling this forum................. "Er, yes sir. Of-course it's a cruiser!"
Hmmmm, ironically, it is actually listed as a "cruiser" on my insurance . $40/month for full coverage
O_2The_L likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 5:15 am

here's mine, "Cruiser?" Pah! nope!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	944065  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 10:59 am

I've always been a Diavel fan. With the Shad hard luggage system you can outfit one as a fairly competent tourer if you keep the limited fuel range in mind.

The latest version of the Diavel now ticks a lot of boxes for me .... cruise control, stubby stock exhaust to access the rear wheel, etc. The one negative I've been hearing a lot about is a snatchy, on/off throttle response in Sport mode. Anyway, I could see one in my garage some time down the road.

2012 Arctic White Multistrada 1200S Touring Model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode