https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...-1953/11441206

2000 853
2007 Cagiva Mito.
1980 and 1978 Ultra lightweight Yamaha SR500 Cafe Racers
1967 500cc Ultra lightweight Triumph Daytona Cafe Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 2:46 am

It's all just part of the natural cycles of this rock we live on.

It's also a great way to make a metric shot ton of money. Humans can't stop it from happening anymore that humans can stop a volcano from erupting.

Humans be funny critters. I like to imagine what space aliens think of us .... I bet "Them crazy ass humans on planet Earth" is their favorite TV comedy!

SP3, ducvet, davy.j and 1 others like this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 9:09 am
Prolific Poster Award

I agree we canít stop it, but we need to do everything we can to reduce the impact. If we do nothing it will be worse. If we donít plan ahead for what weíre going to do, especially in the coastal areas, we will make the disaster much much worse. Weíve already waited way too long. There are way too many people in denial. I can see nothing will be done until itís far too late. I fear for my grandchildren and the future of our planet.
John and ProphetPVD like this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
I agree we canít stop it, but we need to do everything we can to reduce the impact. If we do nothing it will be worse. If we donít plan ahead for what weíre going to do, especially in the coastal areas, we will make the disaster much much worse. Weíve already waited way too long. There are way too many people in denial. I can see nothing will be done until itís far too late. I fear for my grandchildren and the future of our planet.
We'll adapt. I totally agree that we should be taking better care of this spacecraft we live on, global warming or not. It's the only home we have and we should not be taking it for granted.

My thing is that there is an entire industry centered on making obscene amounts of money off of fear mongering. Not to mention the emotional manipulation being done by those that seek power. Every old story written to warn us of dystopian futures is centered on some disaster that was taken advantage of to shift power to a very small group, while taking power away from the masses. Those "disasters" were mostly manufactured and propagated by the same small group seeking power, and maintaining power. Our young ones are no longer exposed to those stories, so they're not wary of the ploy. Ask most college or high school kids if they've ever read or seen the movies "Brave New World" ... "1984" ... "Fahrenheit 451" ... "Animal Farm" ... "Snowpiercer" ... "Chicken Little" ... or any of the other warning stories. Nope.

In the 1970s, there was the huge push for controlling (what was then called) "pollution". We were told that we were all going to be living underground to hide from it, and the human race would be reduced to barely a few million people by 1990. We adapted, and here we are.

The biggest problem with global warming issues is that no matter what the USA does, China and India are the world's worst producers of greenhouse gasses, as well as oceanic pollution .... by over 80%. This idea that the USA will lead the world to a better Earth is naive. China and India dump over 800 million tons of plastic crap into the Earth's oceans each year. Not to mention the amounts of CO2 that China, India, Canada, and other countries pump into the atmosphere each year ... unregulated, and unchecked. They're not going to change their behavior and willingness to grow their economies no matter how much money and political power is shifted here in the USA.

So this notion that the USA has to spend TRILLIONS "with a T" to "save the world" is nothing but a push to shift power and wealth from the people to a very small group. Should the USA make efforts to create cleaner power and produce less shit? Sure ... keeping your own house clean is a good idea. But this notion that "the end of the world will be here in twelve years if we don't shift power and wealth to the elite" is just yet another attempt to do just that ... shift power and wealth.

Rather than spending megaheaps of money to "prevent it" ... our efforts should be focused on preparing for it. Global Warming is like solar flares ... there isn't shit we can do to stop it (and there never was ... it's as natural as an ice age) ... but there are measures we can take to adapt to it as things begin to change. That is where our focus should be. The USA needs to rebuild it's infrastructure anyhow, we're long overdue for a "total rebuild" (like a worn out engine) .. we may as well focus those efforts on preparing for Earth's changing ... ever changing ... environment.

ducvet, ZADSS and PhilBoncer like this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:27 pm

There are on average 70 volcanic events every year that emit hydrocarbons and CO2 way way in excess of any IC engine. Mt St Helen alone in the 80's emitted more GH gas than the cumulative effect of all IC engines on the planet before and those forecast to exist in the future at the time.

Who's making the catalytic converter for these? Anybody?

Plus, it's not "global warming". That's much too specific. It's "climate change". Get it right.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza

Last edited by casor; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 12:29 pm. Reason: typo
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 1:21 pm

Agreed!!. If it was so bad, and water level rising, Why'd Obama buy a house on the beach? Why invest Billions upon Billions to build on the coast it its all gone in 12 years!!
Austen and haloguy628 like this.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 2:28 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSB8 View Post
Agreed!!. If it was so bad, and water level rising, Why'd Obama buy a house on the beach? Why invest Billions upon Billions to build on the coast it its all gone in 12 years!!
Dude... Probably time to stop watching Fox news.
corsemoto, dharma and HNMTS1200 like this.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetPVD View Post
Dude... Probably time to stop watching Fox news.
That's right! Time to start preferring truth over facts!
Rex Coil 7 likes this.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 2:50 pm
SP3
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post

No, not 'everything we can'. Because a lot of the nitwits with a say in what 'everything' might entail will spend us into oblivion doing many many things that won't do a blessed thing. Meanwhile, the main polluting countries will more than undo any infinitesimally small gains we theoretically made. Lots of already rich folk will get richer still off the shell game though.

How about we start writing tickets for littering ($500 here in Ohio)? Cigarette butt? $500. McFecal burger wrapper? $500. Trash truck not tarped? $500. Then lots more trash ought to make it to the landfills instead of the streams, rivers, lakes, and oceans, at least. That's a social engineering trick I can get behind that could actually work and would get something truly positive done. That said, it's been law here for longer than I can remember and still don't know a single person (who knows a person who knows a person) that's ever been given one.
Desmofreak likes this.

'91 851 SP3, '66 250 Monza, '99 Monster 900 City, '98 ST2
'99 Monster 750, '66 Riverside 250, '66 Riverside 250
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Garage
Anyone who thinks that man can't change the environment on earth is wrong. Imagine how many trees have been cut down (and not replaced) alone in the last 10,000 years.

If fishing wasn't regulated we could literally fish the oceans to the point of being empty.

Anyone wanna revisit southern Cali in the 70's and enjoy some smog.

Look at the temp's for the last decade. Records are being set regularly for heat. The scientific community is in agreement that this is happening.

"And like the snows of yesteryear...gone from the earth"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode