So, would this bike kill me? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Prolific Poster Award

So, would this bike kill me?

A naked Hayabusa with a turbo making 256hp...?

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/sp...960716393.html

The machinist that built it doesn't have time to ride it, as he runs his own company and when he gets time off...he rides dirt bikes with his wife and daughter.

He said it was built with a strong engine that can handle over 300, but would need a different spring in the turbo along with a different tune.

BTW, that's a 1000GSXR tail on it, with a custom alloy subframe.

(Nevermind, just checked with my insurance company...it's a no-go at this station.)
scott likes this.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
Running on coffee and sarcasm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 8:55 am

Well, thats a shame. Ridden the 'busa and found it to be quite exhilarating. This was a stock bike back in 2011. She looked big but once rolling the weight just didnt show itself. Cornered decently absolutely rock solid in a straight line. The one I rode had 7500 miles on it. Wanted to loft the front end when nailing second gear. Just a twist of the right wrist and she would get with it.

Shame you cant insure the thing............

ACME Test Pilot, ACME Race Team Primary Rider. NO wins, many, many losses..........Usually due to an anvil or piano crossing my path. Falls from cliffs slow me down a bit too.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 9:05 am
Prolific Poster Award

I like mine, normally aspirated. Since I bought it I don’t have any trouble reaching the change in the bottom of my pockets. A stock Busa has plenty of power, more than I ever use.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 9:20 am

Garage
F**K the insurance. Do it. You know you want to.
scott likes this.

Randy,
'05 ST3, '02 BMW R1150RT &
'06 BMW K1200S
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 9:25 am

Garage
That kind of power without modern nanny-tronics... yea that sounds super-sketchy... but it'll be fun until it's not. :-D
scott and ProphetPVD like this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 6:40 pm

I always hated the Hyabusas... to me, they looked bulky (like two turtles having a romantic moment), and never really seemed practical. The very sight of one conjures up images of 6 foot long swingarms, floater lights, and heavily overstuffed spandex pants perched atop the passenger seat with stilletto heels planted on the passenger pegs. That said, I do like what the seller has done with it. Very sharp!

I would be very cautious regarding the quality of work performed. 256hp is not really that much more than many of today's sportbikes and superbikes of Ducati, Aprilia, and even Kawasaki or Yamaha, where 200+hp is available with any customer who possesses a well-filled wallet and an easily distracted wife. 😉

In the end, I would rather ride on these numbers that were produced from a moderately modded factory bike, rather than somebody else's creativity, but if you trust it, then pull the trigger and have fun! Life is too short not to enjoy it..... shorter, if you ride something like this. 😄

Last edited by Desimoto; Aug 21st, 2019 at 6:52 pm.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdr View Post
A naked Hayabusa with a turbo making 256hp...?

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/sp...960716393.html

The machinist that built it doesn't have time to ride it, as he runs his own company and when he gets time off...he rides dirt bikes with his wife and daughter.
Sort of a flag, to me. If he lives in NV, he can find time to ride.... 🤔. Even if it is just to and from work, I would ride it as much as I could. Not like he has a limited riding season to contend with. Plus, all of his free time is spent riding other bikes with the family? 🤔
You never know, but you may have actually dodged a bullet on this one, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdr View Post
(Nevermind, just checked with my insurance company...it's a no-go at this station.)[/SIZE]
This would bring another concern, trying to get the insurance to value and cover such a build, should something happen to it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 7:23 pm

Insurance would probably be insane unless you went with liability only.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:52 am
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
That kind of power without modern nanny-tronics... yea that sounds super-sketchy... but it'll be fun until it's not. :-D
I am obviously in the minority here... There is not one thing about a 256 Hp motorcycle that sounds "fun" to me. And as far as the "nanny-tropics" are concerned, as long as everything contributes to an enjoyable and safe riding experience, I am all for them.

Case in point... I had a '97 4 Runner which I quite literally drove into the ground over the course of 17 years. 342,000 miles, she owed me absolutely nothing. When she did finally decide to call it quits I immediately looked at the new 4 Runner. Unfortunately, it is no longer offered with a manual transmission, and as I do a lot of alpine/waterfall ice climbing in the winter, I need good off road performance, good cargo capacity, and a 5 speed manual. So I expand my search... unbeknownst to me, someone, somewhere, at pretty much every automobile manufacturer, decided that manual transmissions are not desirable any longer.

Ultimately, I ended up with an '09 Hummer H3, with the Adventure Off Road package. Shorter than the 4 Runner front to rear by a good 18", shorter in height by about 6", and a good deal wider. The front and rear departure angles are insane by comparison. It also weighs in a good 1800 Lbs more... the 4 Runner was 3200, the H3, almost 5000. The first time I did an extended winter trip in the H3, we drove back from New Hampshire in a blizzard. When we got home to Mystic, my wife and I discussed the trip. She is typically a terrible passenger, but on this trip, in that weather, she said she never felt that she was in danger. I told her that from my side, it was a completely drama free event. That same trip in the 4 Runner would have been white knuckle, pulse pounding, the entire way. The H3 however, with it's all time 4WD, individually lockable front/rear and center diffs, ABS, Traction Control and BCS resulted in a ride that never felt out of the ordinary, regardless of the fact that there was between 6 and 10 inches of snow on the road the entire trip, and there were vehicles off the road everywhere around us. That thing is a tank, and feels like it would take an act of god to get it out of control.

So yeah, I've quite literally never understood the end user backlash re. the addition of systems. Regardless of my personal experiences, you are statistically safer in or on a vehicle which is equipped with this type of tech.

ProphetPVD
'02 748R, #0954
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetPVD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I am obviously in the minority here... There is not one thing about a 256 Hp motorcycle that sounds "fun" to me.
I share your standpoint, to some extent, and can validate the "nanny" comment.

I have a supercharged 1998 Saleen Mustang with a TON of work done to it. As it sits now, it is putting out in the neighborhood of 920rwhp (estimated 1,100hp, after drivetrain loss). This car started out as a 235hp V8, and the power increased as I went on through the build. I have not driven the car in quite some time, and am looking to dial it back some, as it is just too much power. It demands your fullest attention, and even still, I have had a few scary moments with the tires breaking loose when I was not expecting it, one time fishtailing at 70mph on the interstate. It's just too "white knuckle driving" to be enjoyable, now.

That said, 256hp would be peak, and a turbocharger would need to spool up in order to produce maximum output. As long as one were to keep the RPM's low, it would not produce anywhere near that sort of power. Problem is, an online four doesn't make a lot of power on the bottom end, and almost requires the rider to climb high on the tack, to get any real usable horsepower. Hence where the "nanny controls" come into play. I have to admit to being incredibly nervous when I rode my Aprilia RSV4 on a test ride. These kind of horsepower numbers were virtually unheard of, just a decade prior. Think about it. We have gone from 100hp+ being the benchmark in the early 2000's (without going to the liter bikes), to 220hp+ being produced from several big name manufacturers such as Ducati, Aprilia, Norton, and even Kawasaki and Yamaha, today. Tremendous fear factor involved. And yet, the bike was as tame as any bike I have ridden, on my first ride. As a matter of fact, in some ways, it is even more relaxing to ride than my Ducati 748s, which produce less than half the power. Reason being, when all of the computer-controlled advancements, the power of the Aprilia is so much more reliable and predictable than the Duc. When I get on one of my 748s, it is sort of a crapshoot... sometimes I snap the throttle open and bring the front wheel off the ground at 40mph or so, in a roll-on wheelie, and other times the bike feels incredibly underpowered (well, technically, torque.) My RSV4 is always consistent, partly because I am not coming anywhere near maximizing the bike's potential, and partly because of computerization. With all the power at tap, everything just feels more controllable. Yes, it is there when I want to shut it off and have a track day, and it is certainly a beast when I do, but even with them off (where I am in full control over everything), the horsepower has a lot more finesse and controllable consistency. It is sort of like having a bodybuilder lift 45lbs dumbbells, but having him take ten seconds to do one curl.... vs. having Clay Aikin do it. The bodybuilder is going to be much smoother and consistent, because he has more than enough power for the task. And while 200hp+ is definitely an intimidating thing from a sub-400lbs., two-wheeled motorcycle, it is actually quite pleasant to ride, once you get past the stigma.

Last edited by Desimoto; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 11:49 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode