7 killed in crash w motorcyclists - Page 6 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2019, 5:59 am

Garage
We all want to armchair quarterback because we'd like to think there's something that can be done to avoid getting killed by an idiot like that. We all want those folks to have some AGENCY.

But sometimes there's not... I think we all get that too, when we get on the road we accept that there are things that can happen that there is no way to avoid, human reaction time is incapable of responding to things happening in factions of a second.

Regardless of actions that those folks could have taken that might have changed the odds for some of them, it doesn't change that they should not have had to. When people who drink and drive are allowed to remain on the road, they put everyone else in danger. In Germany that guy wouldn't be driving and CERTAINLY wouldn't be working as a driver, maybe we need to move some of our zero tolerance BS away from areas where it's pointless and TO areas where it might actually save lives.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2019, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
.... maybe we need to move some of our zero tolerance BS away from areas where it's pointless and TO areas where it might actually save lives.
... Word.

Damascus likes this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Quote:
We all want to armchair quarterback because we'd like to think there's something that can be done to avoid getting killed by an idiot like that. ................maybe we need to move some of our zero tolerance BS away from areas where it's pointless and TO areas where it might actually save lives.
Not so many years ago drinking and driving was a semi accepted part of the landscape. No longer.

We Monday morning QB these tragedies in an effort to avoid those idiots and assholes in our life.
I do anyway. RIP Jarheads.
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2019, 11:18 pm

In the video beneath the one that detailed all of this guy's arrests (the one that depicts him being arrested in what appears to be a truck stop or cafe of some sort) he is obviously high as hell. The dilated pupils with a high powered flashlight aimed directly at his eyes (which would have constricted the pupils, not dilated them) would be all the probable cause required to search him.

I was a certified "DRE" (Drug Recognition Expert) in the State Of California. Those of us that carried that cert had the power of probable cause ... meaning that our observations were all that was required to make a legal arrest. I'm tellin' ya ... Gomer was high as all get out. Symptoms indicate most likely meth, or a combination of meth with various other elicit substance(s).

His arrest record, combined with his substance abuse issues, combined with the deaths of the seven bikers, combined with the injured riders .... if the D.A. in NH is worth his/her salt they'll go for 20 to Life ... perhaps seven sentences of 20 to Life.

Again ... fuddup people do fuddup things.

This whole situation is a travesty.

I'm going to log out, go watch some Adult Swim for an hour or three to get my mind on something other than ~this~ .. and go to bed. Hopefully I'll be able to purge my mind of everything this situation reminds me of and I'll sleep without the damned nightmares.

G'night everyone.

1996 900CR.
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2019, 2:58 am

Garage
got a commercial drivers license after multiple arrests for things that should disqualify him from a commercial drivers license several times over.
scott likes this.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Garage
Nearly 900 drivers suspended in wake of deadly motorcycle crash in New Hampshire

Quote:
got a commercial drivers license after multiple arrests for things that should disqualify him from a commercial drivers license several times over.
Total system failure: Nearly 900 drivers suspended

1976 RD400 (Project), 1997 916 Biposto, 2013 Street Triple R, 2014 Multistrada 1200S
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2019, 12:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by herveyw View Post
Total system failure: Nearly 900 drivers suspended
Yea ... and there are those that want government to take an even larger role in our lives .... y'know, cuz they do such a great job ~n~ stuff.

1996 900CR.
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2019, 8:46 am
work to live. ride to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Yea ... and there are those that want government to take an even larger role in our lives .... y'know, cuz they do such a great job ~n~ stuff.

this is such an annoying post but not QUITE political enough to nuke. just a broad, vague, says-nothing statement about govt is bad. let's get rid of the FAA and the FDA and the EPA because government restricts freedom! this tragedy brought to light a gap in suspension enforcement, glad they're doing something about it and getting folks off the road that shouldn't be there.
Monster4Lee likes this.

2019 BMW R1250GS
2019 Aprilia Tuono Factory
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2019, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadridesagain View Post
this is such an annoying post but not QUITE political enough to nuke. just a broad, vague, says-nothing statement about govt is bad. let's get rid of the FAA and the FDA and the EPA because government restricts freedom! this tragedy brought to light a gap in suspension enforcement, glad they're doing something about it and getting folks off the road that shouldn't be there.
Hey hey now ... easy there. My comment was directed at what the linked article said about how long various notifications went unprocessed.

Regarding the truck driver's previous arrests and citations ....

"... The embattled Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles has suspended an additional 330 drivers whose past violations in other states had gone unprocessed after thousands of notices piled up in mail bins inside a registry facility for the past 15 months. The RMV's lapse in processing out-of-state suspensions was discovered in the aftermath of a horrific crash in Randolph, New Hampshire, in which Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, a 23-year-old truck driver, crossed a double-yellow line, collided with a group of bikers and killed seven motorcyclists.

In all, 876 Massachusetts drivers whose out-of-state traffic infractions had previously been overlooked have now had their licenses suspended in the two weeks since a deadly motorcycle crash in New Hampshire exposed severe deficiencies within the RMV.

A total of 1,106 new suspensions including alcohol-related violations that weren't tracked have been processed. Some drivers have accounted for multiple suspensions.

... Connecticut officials notified the Massachusetts RMV about Zhukovskyy's arrest electronically, but it was not processed because of the way the Massachusetts RMV's system for commercial driver's licenses is programmed, officials say.

Connecticut also mailed the Massachusetts RMV as notice but like thousands of other out-of-state notifications, it was discarded into one of 58 mail bins in a state facility in Quincy, Massachusetts...."

So my remark is hardly a "just a broad, vague, says-nothing statement about govt is bad". I never once even implied anything about removing gov't programs ... my comment was in support of the idea that nothing was done until AFTER seven innocent people were killed, invoking the idiom "Too little, too late.

I would assert that it is your remark that is "just a broad, vague, says-nothing statement" about what my remark was clearly aimed at.

You seem to have become emotionally charged, and maybe have even taken my remark personally. Perhaps it would have done you well to contact me via private message to clear up your misunderstanding of my remark, and my intent? Your remark takes mine deeply out of context ... I never once implied that we (as citizens, that are the victims of poor management all too often) should do away with anything. It was clearly a response to the linked article that clearly spelled out the failures and "too little too late" response to the situation that ended up killing seven of my brothers in arms.

This part of the discussion is relevant, and a direct part of the causation of their deaths. Had those that were appointed done their jobs in the first place, this thread wouldn't even exist since there is heavy probability that the accident wouldn't have taken place.

Once again, I never once said anything about (quoting your comment) "let's get rid of the FAA and the FDA and the EPA because government restricts freedom!". In fact, my comment is aimed at more effective governance, not less of it, or "getting rid of it".

If you wish to discuss this further I openly welcome and invite you to take this to private messaging.

Thank you for your interest.

1996 900CR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode