Motorcycle Lifts: - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Motorcycle Lifts:

Waddya got, how do you like it, what would you do differently next time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Harbor Freight standard foot pump model bought on sale for $279. Love it! Having a pull out for side stands would be nice for centering the bike but it was only $279. Comes with a wheel chock but I prefer using the limit plate instead and a Canyon Dancer with straps fore and aft. Very nice having the bike at eye level. Fits my 999, my two CBXs and Hayabusa and my kid's bikes, an SV650 and Sprint RS 955i Triple as well. Supposed to be sturdy enough for a Harley or Gold Wing but my guess would be that it might be a tad tippy with heavy weights up high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DUC SOJOURN 031 (Small).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	101856   Click image for larger version

Name:	DUC SOJOURN 035 (Small).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	101857  

Ride em if ya got em...
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 9:30 pm
Prolific Poster Award

We used couple cheap HF type lifts for many years, they are nice for scooters but big bikes make me nervous, have to be careful because it's pretty wobbly. Eventually hydraulics started leaking and metal broke in some places, but still functional.

I still use the cheap lift in the office but only because the shop bought a used electric powered lift for $400 in good shape. Cant recall the name but it's a good one, for my money used quality lift better than new China-junk
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 10:31 pm

I don't have one, but I've been considering building this. Seems like it would be a fun little project and the design looks solid. I'm still young though and my knees don't ache yet so I haven't had the motivation to do it.

2008 S2R1000, The mod whore
2003 RC51, The stock one (sold)
2002 ZX-7R, The green meanie (sold)
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 10:43 pm
Demotivational Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport999 View Post
Harbor Freight standard foot pump model bought on sale for $279. Love it! Having a pull out for side stands would be nice for centering the bike but it was only $279. Comes with a wheel chock but I prefer using the limit plate instead and a Canyon Dancer with straps fore and aft. Very nice having the bike at eye level. Fits my 999, my two CBXs and Hayabusa and my kid's bikes, an SV650 and Sprint RS 955i Triple as well. Supposed to be sturdy enough for a Harley or Gold Wing but my guess would be that it might be a tad tippy with heavy weights up high.
+1 Nelli lives on this lift. Not because it always needs work, but for space constraints. I've had the lift for a couple years with no complaints.

I like the wide open spaces; where two guns beat four aces.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:11 pm
Temporary greeter

Garage
I picked up a used Handy lift from a local Ducati dealer who went out of business. They had like 15 of them and I was lucky to snag this one.

It is a great lift, but they are quite expensive new.

1994 888 LTD #61 DVT
2014 KTM Adventure R with duct tape mod v1.0

Ducati.ms ECM photos
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Harbor Freight all the way! Mine has been stalwart over the years.

2002 ST-4s "Dolly"
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:21 pm

Ours came originally from some bloke who sold them out of a factory it probably came from China. It looked like this A349 | Motorcycle Lifter | machineryhouse.com.au except that in addition to the foot pump there is also provision for hydraulic air hose. This sounded nice, but we have rarely used it as we find we need the air hose to use for other things when servicing the bikes other than conveniently lowering or raising the bike.

You ask what we would have done differently - probably nothing as convenience comes at a price. What my husband did do to make it function properly was:

He made up and replaced the front tyre holder thingy with a removable over centre holder with a removable stop in front examples of it on and off the bench are attached as sometimes you don't want anything at the front of the work bench.

Replaced the silly little wheels with proper rotating and locking castors for ease of movement.

The stand whilst it could be lowered up and down by foot or air, came with only two height adjustments, a ratcheting system has been added giving 12 different lockable height adjustments. Unfortunately I can't get access to the camera at the moment and none of the photos really show it, but if you want I'll ask him to take some later.

We are lucky enough to have rafters in the garage, so have a place to "hang" the bikes up if we want to as well.

All in all, the cheapy workbench now resembles a product that we would have paid at least four or five times as much for and it works for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	906.7 KB
ID:	101859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	101860   Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench 3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	101861   Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench 4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	101862  
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2011, 1:19 am

I got a HF for under $300. It does its job. Holds my GS no problem. Lots of better lifts out there but for the price, I'm happy.

04 749S
07 R1200GS
75 R90/6
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2011, 6:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
I picked up a used Handy lift from a local Ducati dealer who went out of business. They had like 15 of them and I was lucky to snag this one.

It is a great lift, but they are quite expensive new.
+1on the handy lift got mine the same way ,local dealer went belly up.Got it for$400 very litte use on it ,great piece!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode