designated passenger - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By O_2The_L
  • 2 Post By Volpad
  • 1 Post By TNMulti
  • 1 Post By O_2The_L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

designated passenger

My boyfriend recently bought a 2018 Multistrada 1260 S Touring bike. Iím the designated passenger 😊. Like others on this forum have noted, itís a really comfortable ride in the backseat. I feel secure (with the top can behind me) and both my boyfriend and I feel like the bike handles great with the extra weight Ė with both passenger and loaded luggage Ė even in the rain. So, the problem is, as others have mentioned, is getting on and off the bike. Iím fairly tall Ė 5í8Ē Ė but with top can and side bags attached, itís a challenge! The best way weíve figured out is for me to mount the bike first and, with kickstand down, to slide back/up into the passenger seat. For the exit, he gets off first, kickstand down, and then I slide forward into the driverís seat and dismount. The problem is that several times when he dismounts the entire bike, with me on it, feels like itís going to drop as the lean feels severe. It seems like even the slightest incline while parking (not even noticeable when we pull up) will cause this effect. Do we need to adjust the kickstand? Change the ride mode/suspension before dismounting? Only park on perfectly level ground? Just deal? Other thoughts? One note: if youíre using the top can as a back rest and holding on the passenger grips, you may bruise your forearms on the top can seams if youíre naughty and not wearing a jacket. Thanks in advance for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 4:10 pm

Garage
I totally share your concerns regarding the side stand. Many people on here (including me) comment on how far the MTS leans over. I suspect the lean angle is intentional and in order to lower the mounting height.
I am always wary of standing on the footpegs while the bike is on the side stand - although I've seen others do it.

Interesting. I've always found it easier to have the passenger mount when I'm (rider) already on the bike and the kick-stand up. Passenger mounting by standing on left rear peg, then swinging over.
I'm 5'10" and am not flat footed on my MTS '13.

How tall is your rider?

Super personal.....and obv. no need to respond, but I wonder how much weight is an impact here?
TheFox likes this.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 4:22 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_2The_L View Post
I am always wary of standing on the footpegs while the bike is on the side stand - although I've seen others do it....
I stopped doing it after my KLE 500 sidestand broke while I was on, years ago...

Apparently, it was super rusted and ready to break, but the psychological trauma from the incident has scared me for life ...
O_2The_L and TheFox like this.

2004 Ducati ST4s
2007 BMW F800St

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 4:24 pm

My wife and I are currently trying to deal with this very situation. She's 5'5". On our Harley I could get on, raise bike up off kickstand and she could step on rear floor board and swing a leg over. Like you said, on the Multi the pannier blocks the rear peg from behind so she has trouble. I've suggested that I get on the bike, raise it up off kickstand and let her use my front peg to mount. That seems to work but she's only done it a couple of times so still too early to say for sure. Passenger getting on first is an option but she doesn't seem comfortable with that.
TheFox likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 4:31 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMulti View Post
..... on the Multi the pannier blocks the rear peg from behind so she has trouble.
Yeah, I forgot about that. I don't think we've ever tried with the side panniers mounted. Only with the top box.
TheFox likes this.

1965 250 Fuller-Custom Scrambler; 1998 916 SPS; 2002 MH900e; 2006 Paul Smart 1000 LE; 2011 Diavel Carbon; 2013 Multistrada GT; 2016 Scrambler UE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

The rider is 5'9" (about 170#) and I'm 5'8" (about 150#). Standing on the peg, with the rider on, I can't swing my leg high enough to clear the top can. Actually had to stand on the seat in order to get on with the rider on. I'm sure onlookers were amused. Good point about the lean. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode